jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (11 posts)

Copyright Infringement...Of Myself. Is It Possible?

1. TheSunglassMan profile image61
    TheSunglassManposted 4 years ago

Hello hub forum,

I'm still a newborn when it comes to the rules of online writing, so I was hoping to get some helpful answers from people with a bit more experience.

A few months ago, I began writing on Yahoo's Contributor Network, which is another freelance writing network. I have written a few articles just to get my feet wet and I was wondering if I'm able to copy and paste some of those onto my hub?

I know Yahoo will send me articles to write that I cannot post anywhere else because I basically give up the rights to Yahoo. However, there are works of mine that I'm allowed to post and use anywhere that I please.

This would be a cheap way of getting my name out there, but if it's a special article that I feel deserves the attention, I would like to try my very best to get exposure to it.

I was just hoping someone might know before I do something illegal or against hub rules.

Thanks!

2. Simone Smith profile image89
    Simone Smithposted 4 years ago

Welcome to the Forums, TheSunglassMan!

I'm glad you asked about this, because it is HubPages policy that Hubs can only exist on HubPages and nowhere else- so any content you have elsewhere that you would like to publish here must first be un-published in those original spots (I also recommend waiting a couple of days before re-publishing it through your HubPages account).

In short, content you publish on HubPages cannot exist anywhere else. big_smile

TheSunglassManposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Thank you, Simone, for the quick response.

I have a follow up question, that I think I already saw the answer to it in the "get started" section: Hypothetically, say I write an article on here that pertains to fishing, and I have an article on Yahoo that describes the best sunglasses to use for fishing, may I link to the article since it's related?

3. brakel2 profile image86
    brakel2posted 4 years ago via iphone

Hubs must be original material and not copied from other sites. Once you remove an article from another site, you can wait about two weeks and then post it on HP.

Thank you for the response!

4. Yvonne Decelis profile image80
    Yvonne Decelisposted 4 years ago

I have a question. I'm trying to write a novel and I thought hub pages was a good place to start writing. From this it sounds like I'm dead wrong though - does this mean I'm actually not allowed to publish whatever I put here (and, if so, how can I terminate what I have on here?)

1. wilderness profile image95
      wildernessposted 4 years ago in reply to this

What you put on HP belongs to you, forever, and you may delete it any time you choose to do so.

So yes, you can republish HP material elsewhere, but only after it is deleted from here (and given time to clear the google cache).

2. 2uesday profile image85
      2uesdayposted 4 years ago in reply to this

It might be worth thinking about this from another aspect,  which is if you are going to find a publisher for it are they OK with something that has been shared online. Things might have changed but even some writing competitions specify that you may not submit things that have already been published online.

You can check that the cache has cleared and there is a way to submit a request for it to be removed from search. Someone will no doubt be able to point you in the right direction for both of those things.

5. Yvonne Decelis profile image80

thank you! (Any idea how long it takes to clear the cache, by the way? I'm sure I would have PLENTY of time but just to find out...  thanks again!)

Brakel2, posted response #3, says 2 weeks. Hope that's what you meant.

6. Yvonne Decelis profile image80

that's the answer - thank you very much once agan!

working