Another Author File Copyright Infringement - AI Scanned Her Books

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (21 posts)
  1. Kenna McHugh profile image92
    Kenna McHughposted 6 months ago

Joyce Maynard:
    I’ve been following, with ever-greater concern, the story of how Artificial Intelligence has slithered into our culture and taken hold.  This week brings particularly alarming news.

If you had told me, fifty years ago, when I published my first book (the year was 1973; I was 19) that the day would come when books might be written by anybody without blood pumping through her veins, or a beating heart, I would have said you were crazy.  But that day has come.

As many of you may know, the growing sophistication of AI techonology now allows for programs designed to replicate the voice, style, sentence structure and vocabulary of known published writers. This week came the news—thanks to research conducted by The Atlantic Magazine—that the books of hundreds , possibly thousands of writers have been scanned for the purpose of feeding the AI database in such a way that it is now possible to replicate a novel by Stephen King, or Michael Chabon, or Louise Erdrich…without any of those writers’ involvement in any way. 

Or a novel by Joyce Maynard. 

A search revealed yesterday that seven of my books have been scanned—illegally, without procuring rights—into an AI database for the purpose of creating AI simulations of my voice.

The Authors’ Guild, of which I am a member, is pursuing legal action, as is a consortium of writers. 

Meanwhile, you can google “AI assistance for writers” and find dozens of platforms promising to make it possible for aspiring writers to create books , without the need of all those pesky skills like grammar, sensitivity to style, rhythm, language, tone or an understanding of dialogue.  The technology can take care of all that.  Leaving patrons of the AI assistance sites free to concern themselves with nothing more than typing in their ideas and no doubt offering up a charge card number.

I do not need to tell you how I feel about this.  It’s nothing less than the death of art.  My parents, who raised my sister and me on the literature of the Western canon, would die, themselves, if they weren’t long dead already. 

There is so much more to be said about all of this, but I’ve got a day filled with writing ahead of me.  Real writing.  Not typing instructions into an AI site. I’m talking about what I’ve been doing for fifty years now, getting up at five am and putting in long days at my desk, considering every syllable, every sentence, the placement of every comma and period, the sound of the words I choose. ( Reading them out loud , alone at my desk, to hear how they sound.)

There will be those who offer up all kinds of reasons why AI can be a good thing for us all.  Have at it.  In the world of art and music and literature, it can mean only one thing:  The eradication of what is uniquely human in each of us.  The death of what is most precious and beautiful, the soul and spirit with which we were born. That is irreplaceable.

1. Jan Stepan profile image93
      Jan Stepanposted 6 months agoin reply to this

Yes, yes and yes. Nothing more to add.

2. Miebakagh57 profile image69
      Miebakagh57posted 6 months agoin reply to this

This is a very awful and terrible scenenario.                                    Artificial Interlligence, (AI) now seems to me as a sure plagiarism theft.                                The bottomline is that certain would be writers or authors don't know what hard work is. Their think smart moves is the most essential thrick, and evetually, their become losers at the end of the game.                                         Sorry Kenna, if AI has copy most of your books.                                    The worst thing is that the development is taking place mostly in the West and East, and in Africa.

3. Glenis Rix profile image96
      Glenis Rixposted 6 months agoin reply to this

I wholeheartedly agree with your comments.

More generally, here are widespread concerns about AI could impact on our lives when computers become more intelligent than humans. The British Prime Minister has convened a conference to discuss how AI can be contained within reasonable bounds.

2. PaulGoodman67 profile image95
    PaulGoodman67posted 6 months ago

Yeah, things don't look good for writers and creatives generally.

You'll still be free to write, of course, but AI will eventually suck most of the money out of it.

AI-generated writing plus art, music, and film, will be generated within seconds for low or zero cost and human creators can't compete with that.

Even when the human version is of superior quality, economics will likely win out. We saw that in the Industrial Revolution when mass-produced goods outsold the handmade versions in almost all cases because they were so much cheaper.

It is pretty sad and depressing. We resemble 18th-century cottage industry weavers faced with the growth of clothing factories.

Kenna McHughposted 6 months agoin reply to this

Paul, AI need regulations. WGA just signed a three-year contract with the industry. AI speculations were put in place.

3. misspatypixie profile image69
    misspatypixieposted 6 months ago

There is a big need for some kind of ai regulation, there is no doubt about it. Things are not looking good

Yes. Writer's groups and publishing companies are taking initiatives.

1. PaulGoodman67 profile image95
        PaulGoodman67posted 6 months agoin reply to this

There should be compensation for the creators whose work is used to generate AI answers and projects.

It will be interesting to see how the courts handle the issue as the existing copyright laws weren't designed for what AI does.

Everybody wants stuff for free with the internet. That can be problematic when it's individuals but it's truly corrosive when businesses get involved.

The big corporations have become experts at accessing and using info for free and then profiting from it. This was already happening but there's a considerable escalation taking place with the arrival of the new AI technology.

Information = power and profit in the modern tech world.

Paul, Didn't you know everything should be free for the brotherhood (people hood.)

1. PaulGoodman67 profile image95
            PaulGoodman67posted 6 months agoin reply to this

It's interesting in that there's a major shift in the capitalist system happening.

Previously, revenue was mainly generated through making products and selling them at a profit.

Now we're seeing data becoming a commodity.

It's interesting how technology has shifted commodities.

2. Jan Stepan profile image93
          Jan Stepanposted 6 months agoin reply to this

Compensation for established writers' work who've already earned them tons of money doesn't help new writers who strive to get recognized in the industry and make it financially.

I know it may be challenging for someone established to put themselves in the shoes of those at the beginning of their career, but I wish more people would do so...

AI is the biggest threat to my generation and the coming generations. We may not have jobs in industries that once flourished with job opportunities. AI technology quite literally destroys our dreams.

4. Jodah profile image92
    Jodahposted 6 months ago

Thank you for sharing this, Kenna.

Jodah, You're welcome!

5. neo_gnosis profile image84
    neo_gnosisposted 6 months ago

Regulation is required at the very least but the way things are going I only see an aesthetic regulatory policy being implemented if any because from the top down it ensures competition below. Which suits those up stairs.

6. Brenda Arledge profile image79
    Brenda Arledgeposted 6 months ago

Yes, I've been hearing about this and hopefully they can stop this now.

I don't see how legally they can use our work without permission or compensation.

Yes. They should compensate the authors of the original content.

7. Miebakagh57 profile image69
    Miebakagh57posted 6 months ago

Stupid AI is a theft to some extend.

8. janshares profile image93
    jansharesposted 6 months ago

OMG! As a new author, excited about self-publishing my own books, this is saddening and mortifying. As an author focused on writing about the African American experience, I don't know which to worry about more: scanning or banning. Thanks for sharing, Kenna. So sorry this happened to you. sad

9. Zeron87 profile image95
    Zeron87posted 5 months ago

I personally believe it would be more prudent for the AI to get data from approved databases rather than scouring from across the web to take anyone's work...

But I do have a question:
    How is an AI program scanning your work any different than an human being getting a copy and trying to emulate your style?  Of course, anyone trying to steal someone else's idea and turn it as they're own is plagiarism, but where are we drawing the line between actual plagiarism and using a computer program to expedite sources for inspiration?   

From what I've seen, AI still lacks my creativity, so anything it makes is derivative.  After I used ChatGTP to help with titles for a short story of mine, a quick Google search revealed similar answers; the AI just did it faster.  In the end, I still had to twist the title with my own mind to make it better.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)