Have you seen the new How Search Works infographic on Google?

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (10 posts)
  1. rebekahELLE profile image85
    rebekahELLEposted 11 years ago

I saw this link today on SearchEngineLand about Google's new interactive infographic about how search works.  If you like reading this kind of stuff, it's interesting.  There are various icons you can click on for more info, and links which give more insight.  I think it's helpful for anyone who publishes online to get a glimpse of what happens once our pages are published.  Think about this the next time you're concerned your page didn't make it to page one... there are over 30 trillion pages and it's constantly growing.  There is little wonder that it doesn't always get it right, but that it does get it right many times within seconds is amazing.  I use voice search often on my mobile device and I'm amazed often at how efficiently it works.

How Search Works

2. paradigmsearch profile image61
    paradigmsearchposted 11 years ago

Good link! I'm even tacking it in one of my hubs. smile

3. Page1 SEO tactics profile image56
    Page1 SEO tacticsposted 11 years ago

Thanks for the link to the info graphic it was really cool to watch.  Though as I have studied on the topic extensively, and already knew what the information contained, I'd have to say that it will barely get a newbies toes wet. However, when working on the Internet, you got to  start somewhere, and that is a pretty good start. Thanks again for sharing!

4. rebekahELLE profile image85
    rebekahELLEposted 11 years ago

Some of it is certainly not new info, but it's easy to read and very well done.  You can also hover the mouse over icons and text appears. 

@Page1- I've noticed there are many new hubbers in the forums and thought it might be helpful for a general overview of how it works. 
    Plus the link itself goes to the Google/Inside Search page including their blog.

@PDS, glad you found it helpful.  If you keep playing around with it, you find more stuff.  There's a link to a watered down version of the human rater guidelines, which still includes 43 pages.

5. Simone Smith profile image88
    Simone Smithposted 11 years ago

This makes for a great general overview, rebekahELLE! Definitely something that can clear things up for new Hubbers and make it easier for them to see how Google decides to send traffic to their work. I'm thinking of good places where we might link to this from our guides. Thanks for sharing it!

rebekahELLEposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Simone, I think it would be helpful as a link from the learning center.  Perhaps a short page with a link in the Getting Started section would help introduce a hubber to the general mechanics of how search works.
      Yesterday was the first day Google officially released the human search raters guidelines.  Reading through the guidelines can be helpful.  Even though it's not as detailed as the earlier leaked version, it's useful for any online writer.  SEL also wrote about it yesterday.

@Paul M, I saw it last night browsing my FB feed.  Even though I don't write full time online, I'm kind of a geek when it comes to tech stuff.  I find it fascinating. I like to check SEL daily.

6. Paul Maplesden profile image77
    Paul Maplesdenposted 11 years ago

I was just about to post this but you beat me to it! It's a brilliant infographic and well worth a few minutes of your time.

7. Paul Edmondson profile imageSTAFF
    Paul Edmondsonposted 11 years ago

I think quality needs to be put into greater context by Google and as a result of this, we can see a spectrum of Google's view on spam.  It's very helpful in understanding a small piece of the quality aspect.

rebekahELLEposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Yes, since quality is subjective, it's helpful to see the guidelines they assign to the human raters.
      I notice on certain sections, they removed the example URL's.  It is now pointed out that scores from human raters do not directly affect page rank or search results.

@Shadow J,  I imagine the sheer volume of pages makes it difficult to be absolutely, 100% accurate with so many variables.

8. Shadow Jackson profile image65
    Shadow Jacksonposted 11 years ago

There is a lot to be said about the "artificial intelligence" in search engines not being so intelligent. But things are getting better.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)