jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (7 posts)

An experiment - The impact of making my hubs 'Stellar' on SEO

1. Paul Maplesden profile image88
    Paul Maplesdenposted 4 years ago

I've decided to run an experiment to see how creating 'quality content' will impact on Search Engine Optimisation, performance in Google, traffic and search results.

I will be refining my existing hubs using the quality guidelines as recommended by HP through the guidelines for stellar hubs: http://hubpages.com/learningcenter/Elem … tellar-Hub

I will go about this as follows:

1. I will track all of my hubs statistics 'as is' (prior to updating them to be 'stellar) for the past 30 days
    2. I will then go through each hub and ensure it has all of the 'stellar' qualities; this won't be a 'tick box' exercise, I genuinely want to make each hub as good as it can possibly be. However, as a minimum, each hub will have all the elements of a stellar hub as defined in the Learning Center article
    3. I will then track the results to see what the impact is of updating content over 30 more days
    4. I will analyse all of these results and write a hub (or more) on what I have discovered

My plan is to see if there is a strong correlation between 'stellar hub' content and whether the quality of that content impacts on search positioning, click through, traffic and other metrics.

I currently plan to measure the following areas (for 30 days before and after making the changes). I will measure this for each hub and as a total. (GA is Google Analytics measures, WMT is webmaster tools measures)

- Amount of traffic - Overall (GA)
    - Amount of traffic - Search (GA)
    - Time on page (GA)
    - Bounce Rate (GA)
    - Search impressions (WMT)
    - Search clicks (WMT)
    - Click through rate from organic search (WMT)
    - Average hub position in search engine results pages (SERPs) (WMT)

I know that there will be some factors beyond my control that may impact my results (Google Algo updates, competitor activity, natural improvement, authority etc.) but I am still hoping that the experiment will throw up some interesting results.

I'll write some comprehensive hubs sharing what I have found as well.

If anyone has any suggestions for other measures / metrics or other things I might want to incorporate, please let me know.

I'll also share all of the raw data behind the experiment once it has concluded.

2. psycheskinner profile image80
    psycheskinnerposted 4 years ago

I would suggest a control group of hubs you edit and update, but not using these recommendations. Just updating with cause a short term boost.

Paul Maplesdenposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Good point, I did think about a control group, but not one I had edited, that's a really good idea.

1. sallybea profile image96
        sallybeaposted 4 years ago in reply to this

I completely agree, just a little editing, changing of ads, tweeting, pinning etc., causes an immediate reaction!  I just love those little red arrows.

3. vocalcoach profile image94
    vocalcoachposted 4 years ago

I'll be looking for those hubs revealing the statistics of your experiment.  If I find that you are indeed rewarded by your hard work, I'll follow suit.  Thanks Paul!

1. janderson99 profile image85
      janderson99posted 4 years ago in reply to this

The Proof is in the Pudding
      If Google ranks Stellar hubs higher then you should see the Stellar ones at the top. I ran a simple Google search for a topic such as
      "potato recipe hubpages"  etc. [the "hubpages" simply gets pages from HP.]
      I counted the number of words, images, videos and tables.
      The results are shown below:
      Sure its a straw poll but it clearly shows that articles with small amounts of text, and few images and videos often appear higher in the SERPS
      ENJOY!

http://www.a1niches.com/position.jpg

Paul Maplesdenposted 4 years ago in reply to this

That's a good approach too - I can see how that's a useful comparison and would be an interesting side piece to the experiement. Thanks for sharing the data.

working