Deleting or keeping idled Hubs

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (31 posts)
  1. NateB11 profile image88
    NateB11posted 11 years ago

How many times do you edit an idled Hub before deleting it? Or do you keep it idled so that links to it are still good? Also, for what reasons do you either leave it idled or delete it or still try to fix it? I have one Hub which I've edited a few times, and this last time after I edited it, it remained idled. I'm pretty sure I just want to delete it, but putting these questions out here first to see if I might find reason to keep it. One reason I've considered keeping it is that it had gotten considerable views at one time and I'm thinking some people linked it. So, the links might still be out there, and people might find it that way.

1. wilderness profile image94
      wildernessposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I've got just one idled hub - a hub written for hubbers that doesn't get enough traffic to keep it going.  I let it sit idle, just so that hubbers might gain some value from it.  There are one or two more along those lines that I expect in the future to do the same with.

Anything else will get a couple of efforts to produce enough traffic to maintain the featured status; beyond that it's deleted.  If it can't get even a couple of organic, search engine, readers in a month it's worthless to me and of no value.

NateB11posted 11 years agoin reply to this

I'm tending to agree with you on that one, wilderness. There is a Hub I have too, which is one on tips for Internet writers, which I expected to get idled at some point because it's for a relatively small audience but has been read by Hubbers for the info it has on writing Hubs, etc. It did get idled, but I kept it. Then there's the one I've mentioned in this post, which I'm debating on whether to nix. I'm leaning towards what you suggest about your own Hubs which do not get traffic; I tend to agree they are of little or no use, so the reasonable thing is to get rid of it, or, at least, move it, especially after a few efforts to revive it.

Yes - whether deleted or moved, it's gone from HP.  I haven't moved anything yet because 1) I have nowhere to move them to (easily correctable) and 2) more importantly they haven't been worth moving.

2. Mark Ewbie profile image82
    Mark Ewbieposted 11 years ago

This is ridiculous.  At the very least a hub that doesn't pass the MTurk test should have a minimal explanation - perhaps from a multiple choice.  Surely that wouldn't be too much to ask for?

Nate - I did a few things with mine.  Where I felt they were worth some effort - potential traffic - I edited and improved.  Where they were just vanity pieces, fond though I might have been of them, I deleted them.  One or two I moved elsewhere.

Mark, it's just my understanding of the QAP and might be very wrong, but I doubt there is any one thing that can be pointed to.  It's a conglomerate of many factors, all added together.

Just a thought, but you might consider studying the rules for rating hubs on the hub hopper and rate the hub yourself (or better yet, get someone else to do it and remove your built in bias from the equation).  Any area that doesn't score quite high is a suspect in idling a hub for quality reasons - enough of them all added together is what does it.  Or so I understand from reading between the lines on forum posts from HP and Turkers doing the ratings.

1. Mark Ewbie profile image82
        Mark Ewbieposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for trying to help Wilderness.  I believe the problem is definition of quality / satire / humor / subject matter / classification - and that is going to be a hard one for me to get over.

But I will.  Possibly.

Again, Mark, I'm not very familiar with the system - Melissa Barrett can tell you lots more - but I don't think actual content is ever a problem.  Whether or not information is correct, true, irrelevant or the humor you put out so well makes little difference.  And I'm pretty sure that subject matter (outside of things like Acai Berry) or classification don't matter either.

I haven't had a hub idled for quality yet - haven't written very many, either, since the program began - but when I do I intend to do just what I said.  Put in through the ratings in the hub hopper in the most honest manner I can and try to see what is causing the problem.  It might not work, but better than just shooting in the dark simply because it appears to be a low score there that is the reason for idling for quality reasons. 

Sure, those ratings are intended to reflect quality, but they will never be perfect.  Nevertheless they're what we have to work with (at least for now) and getting a hub through those ratings is the only way to be featured.

1. Jean Bakula profile image92
            Jean Bakulaposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I don't want to jinx myself, but not too many of my hubs have been idled. I've always been told my hubs are too long, but every one of them became my best rated ones, so you really can't listen to anyone, we all write individually in our own styles. If the reader is interested, they will read your piece.

The few hubs I have that were idled were book reviews that had very few views, and I deleted them. I think they were well written, they just didn't interest anybody. I have a few book reviews that have always done well. It's hard to tell what factors make hubs idled.

At this point, Jean, failing to be featured primarily means a lack of traffic, just as you saw.  For the most part (though not always) new hubs fail for quality reasons instead of traffic but that's going to change as HP digs into existing material.  We're likely to all see some of what Mark has experienced here.

2. Thallia profile image50
          Thalliaposted 11 years agoin reply to this

The Mturk rating categories for hubs - Substance, Organization, Grammar & Mechanics. Each category is rated 1 through 10.

* SUBSTANCE is a measure of the quality of the content and its presentation. Some things to consider:

- Is the content fully developed with complementary tone, noteworthy diction or visual techniques, and abundant detail?

- Are media assets included superb and original?

- Is the content free of promotional elements?

ORGANIZATION is a measure of scanability, visual appeal, and the general flow of the work. Some things to consider:

- Are the titles and subheadings specific, useful, and supported by the content?

-Is information presented using the most appropriate supporting elements and text formatting?

- Can you scan the page and quickly locate specific information?

- Is everything included in the page, such as links or feeds, necessary and relevant?

-Is the page visually appealing?

GRAMMAR & MECHANICS
          Mechanics refers to punctuation, spelling, and capitalization. Grammar refers to the way words are combined to form sentences. Some things to consider:

- Is the page mechanically sound?
          - Are the sentences in the page complete?
          - Are the subject and verb in agreement?
          - Is the voice consistent and appropriate?

There are additional definitions for each numerical value within each of the categories.

1. WriteAngled profile image75
            WriteAngledposted 11 years agoin reply to this

To me, this is meaningless waffle.

An article is good and readable or it is not. There is no reason to impose such artificial scoring systems.

Personally, as a reader, I could not care less about pictures, videos, maps, polls, heading and subtitles. None of these add anything if the text itself is poor. Conversely, good text has no need of any further embellishment.

1. Randy Godwin profile image59
              Randy Godwinposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Yes, It is obviously Horse$hit!  There aren't no geniuses working at HP.  Give up on it!  yikes

2. NateB11 profile image88

Thanks, Mark. Yes, it would be nice to know the reasons for the idling. I can't say I know why, but I'd like to know it's not arbitrary, and has something to do with quality content in a real way.

I'm also thinking some are worth it, as you say, to save, and some lean towards being dumped; and some can be moved. This one in question in this post I rather like, and I even think it is good in an objective way, but still I think I'll move it: Delete it from here and find another place for it.

3. Mark Ewbie profile image82
    Mark Ewbieposted 11 years ago

Interesting.  Nearly everyone posting has failed to keep their own quality ratings up to HP's standards.  I've gathered that it's not easy being a (successful) Turker, and that reinforces the notion.  Either produce ratings equal to those done by HP staff or you won't earn anything, which makes perfect sense, and that isn't easy.  It's not a cake walk.

4. janshares profile image93
    jansharesposted 11 years ago

After multiple edits, will deleting or unpublishing the non-featured hub, especially if the hubscore is under 70, be more beneficial in the longrun, i.e., improve your subdomain rating with hp and hence, Google? If the hub has exhausted its value to you and to hp, might it be dragging down your status?

I ask this for myself as well, as I anticipate getting idled soon. I'd sooner just delete those 200-300 word hubs in the high 60s that are dragging down my hubberscore. Not sure what to do.

That's been my concern too: Whether the bad performing Hubs bring down the value of my subdomain. It's a good question. My understanding is that if a Hub is idled, it doesn't affect the value of the subdomain because Google doesn't really see the Hub. Still, I'm thinking it's better to just get rid of them, and it's true the problem Hub I have is short on text; not that short, it's over 500 words, but I think it's brevity has something to do with its performance problem. Will be interested to see if others can answer your questions. Good questions.

1. janshares profile image93
        jansharesposted 11 years agoin reply to this

My hubs that are are risk for going idle are short on text as well, all poems, ranging in hubscore from 68 to 71. Word count of these hubs: 188, 200, 246, 380, and 426. I know it's a matter of time. I may unpublish and move some of them to my business website where I get decent traffic. I'm torn.

2. wilderness profile image94

I don't think there is hardly anyone saying that non-performing hubs bring down the value of a site.

Rather, low quality hubs do, and low quality hubs don't see traffic (at least when google is doing it's job); remove all low traffic hubs and you'll catch the low quality ones in the group.

Such things as poetry the great god Google may be deciding is low quality.  Low word count, few if any subheadings, often poor grammar (can google distinguish between poetry "sentences" and those of other writings?); the list is rather extensive that our master may declare to be low quality. 

Those types of hubs may well be dragging an account down, and should probably be deleted or simply deindexed.

At least everyone is on the lookout for low quality hubs, and if we all do our part, it may make HP better. I see the few I have idled were never big draws for traffic. Now I know what subjects they are, and would avoid writing more like them. I just delete them. I know a lot of people are putting them on their blogs, but my blog doesn't make money so far, though it is monetized, it's just me, and people who visit it are interested in the subjects I write about. It's not worth it to move the pieces there, they are different topics.

In a way, that's my problem, too.  I don't have a blog, but were I to create one I wouldn't want a bunch of random subjects, topics and hubs that never performed on it.

As that's all I have had idled - random topics that match up with nothing else I've got - I'm not putting in the effort to start a blog with them.  An exercise in futility, I think.

2. janshares profile image93

Good point, Jean. All of my poems wouldn't fit my website.

2. NateB11 profile image88

Here's an interesting thread about how well 'stellar Hubs' do in Google search. Hubber janderson posted a graph showing results of how hubs with low word count do in search results; turns out they do well in many cases. http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/110550#postwrap2352660

1. janshares profile image93

Interesting table, NateB11. Incidently, my best performing hub that gets as much as 200 views a day has no video, is under 500 words, ranked #1 on Google, and a hubscore of 100. So that graph is telling the truth.

3. janshares profile image93

Thanks, wilderness, for your insight regarding how Google may interpret "low quality." Didn't think of it that way.

5. Jenn-Anne profile image75
    Jenn-Anneposted 11 years ago

Some of my idled hubs deserved it - they were the first hubs I wrote and they weren't that good. I'm just going to leave them idle. Unfortunately I've had some good quality seasonal hubs idled as well because they cannot maintain steady year-round traffic. This is unfortunate. I really don't feel like doing the constant editing needed to keep them featured in the off-season so I will likely move them. I did try editing one and although it is now featured again it is lower in the SERPS than it was before it was idled. The traffic to my strongest hubs has slowly been improving. Most likely it is because they have been around awhile and had a chance to mature, but maybe the idling of my other material has helped too - I really don't know. I haven't written any new hubs since the QAP/idling program was put into place. I'd really like to write again and I feel pretty good about my ability to pass the QAP assessment, however I can't guarantee that I can get enough views fast enough to keep new hubs featured. We've been told that tweaks are going to be made to the idling process to give new hubs more time to get views. I'm looking forward to hearing more about those changes and I'm hopeful that I will be able to get back to writing soon.

I had a hub that was approaching "idle" for a few days, and now today it's miraculously up to a high 70's score. Another hub that I like, but nobody else seems to, is also at an 85 score today. You can never tell who will come along and be interested in reading about a particular thing. Plus it's the weekend, which is usually slower online. I was just about to delete one of them. Everytime I think I have it figured out, I don't!

I've almost done the same thing; I almost deleted a whole group of Hubs and soon found some of them get good traffic. Glad I didn't jump the gun.

6. Randy Godwin profile image59
    Randy Godwinposted 11 years ago

Just as fast as my hubs are idled I delete them.  They obviously are not needed or wanted here.  It's merely collateral damage you know.  smile

7. Bill Yovino profile image87
    Bill Yovinoposted 11 years ago

I have three detailed Hubs about a trip I took to Australia and New Zealand.  I spread the information over three Hubs because I felt a single Hub would be too long.  The funny thing is that Part I and Part III are "featured" and Part II is "idled".  All of the photos in the Hub are original.  I tried a small edit which temporarily returned Part II to featured status.

Am I missing something or does this just seem arbitrary? 

http://bill-yovino.hubpages.com/hub/Aus … uise-Lines

It's not really a big deal because none of them get much traffic, but I'm curious about the process.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)