Why You Chose HubPages & My Score Sucks

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (14 posts)
  1. MediaUnmasked profile image73
    MediaUnmaskedposted 10 years ago

Hello, I joined hubpages a day or two ago and there have been a few things running through my mind. Any constructive advice or comments will be greatly appreciated. Also, please excuse my inexperience and newbiness to the site.
    First of all, why is my hubscore zero? I haven't seen such a low score from the browsing I've done in the past couple days. Keep in mind, I'm very new to this website and there's probably an obvious reason that I haven't found an answer to yet. I've written three articles on the site, so I figured that would help my score, but it just keeps dropping (and it stopped at 0)! Before you ask, I think I commented on one person's hubpage and haven't interacted much else yet.
    I also wanted to know why you are writing with HubPages instead of (or in combination to) somewhere else (such as Squidoo or your own website, where you would have more control over the layout and ads, potentially maximizing your revenue). In other words, why HP? You chose this website over your other options for a reason and I'd really like to know. I want to know because I like the idea of 100% customization (I know a bit of HTML). If I plan to create content oriented around one main genre, what medium would you recommend?

Thank you for reading this and for your response.

1. Blond Logic profile image93
      Blond Logicposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Firstly welcome to Hubpages. I can't comment why you have a score of 0 but I shouldn't worry. When you have been around awhile you will see many fluctuations in views, hub score, and your hubber score. Just hang in there.

As for writing on other sites, many of us do. I write on Blogger and Squidoo as well. All of them offer something different and I use them as back links. The one thing, in my opinion, that sets Hubpages apart from the rest, is the community feel here. On Squidoo, I feel I am standing in a forest of tall trees looking up without being able to grab a branch. Here, someone will help you out. 

Good luck

MediaUnmaskedposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Thanks Blond Logic,
        Good to hear a second person comment on the weird score. I got that feel about Hubpages being more of a structured community too, and the backlinking bit makes some sense (you just refer readers to a relevant article written on the other site, right?) Also, as for which site (your blog, Squidoo, or Hubpages) to write a specific article on, do you have any comments/suggestions?
        Thanks!

1. Blond Logic profile image93
          Blond Logicposted 10 years agoin reply to this

For this you should look up a Hubber and a Squidooer by the name of Greek Geek. She has written some wonderful hubs, and lenses (Squidoo pages) about the different payment structures. It is very informative and will give you ideas of which type of pages would work best where.

2. ytsenoh profile image60
      ytsenohposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I agree with some of the comments.  Don't get hung up on the score.  I came to the Hubs nearly three years ago for basically a writing practice ground, which I enjoy, and I really like the writing community here.  There probably are  different sites you could join and possibly earn more residual income; I can assure you I do not make a lot of money here, although what is made is a bonus with the practicing to get better and better with writing.  I's a great place to write to get feedback and to meet others who share the same writing passion, including those who are serious about being here.  Involvement will affect your score, but don't let that number stop you from writing about the subjects you know about and those that interest you.  Good luck!

2. LCDWriter profile image90
    LCDWriterposted 10 years ago

If you search, somewhere is a comment from me, several months back about my hub score being zero.  It happens.  No one knows why.  Hubscores are a great mystery.  Mine moved ten points  down today even though from what I can tell I'm getting the same traffic patterns I was getting two days ago when it was higher.

It will go up if you start publishing hubs so just do what you do and ignore it.

I chose hubpages because it was easy to join initially and yet it offered a real opportunity for me to write what I wanted to write about.  I'm interested in many different subjects and didn't want to be limited to just one.

With that said, start off by writing about something you know about.  Is there something that your friends or family members always ask you about or come to you for advice about?  Start with that.

For me, my family was always asking me pet questions so I realized that was where I should start.

Best of luck as you start out.  Just dive right in!

Thanks for your reply LCDWriter,
      The hubscore answer is reassuring (even though I'm not 100% sure on the use of hubscores yet, haha. I'm a gamer, they are a score - I feel like I'm losing if it's at 0.
      By what I understand from your post, you're saying that hubpages is good for one-off articles and for beginners who don't know how to create their own website? Because I know of a relative topic that I want to stick to, do you think I should focus on my own website/blog and use hubpages for one-off articles?
      Thanks

3. WryLilt profile image87
    WryLiltposted 10 years ago

Welcome to Hubpages, Media Unmasked!

I started out as a gamer, too (started writing game guides so I didn't feel guilty about gaming, so I could call it "research".) LOL

Thing is with scores - they look after themselves. If you write quality hubs and don't worry, they'll slowly rise on their own. If you want to "level up", go for traffic and money wink

Why Did I Choose To Write On Hubpages?
    Well it's the first place I found, and I kinda got addicted. Since then, I've started 30 something of my own sites, and write on Wizzley sometimes, too. I don't like Squidoo's revenue sharing model - you have to get money by rankings, instead of getting your rightful money no matter what. I prefer to know I'm getting the money I deserve.

I don't write here a lot for money anymore (although the money from old hubs keeps coming in), but I do find it a great place to "test" ideas. I'm not going to run out and make an entire content website just because I think it's a good idea - I'll write a hub, and if that does well, I'll make the site and link the hub to it. Or if I have a topic to write on, but not enough information for a niche site, something I just need to get out... I'll write a hub.

EDIT: Having looked your hubs, they're very general. To get traffic here, you need to aim at Google. So why should Google look at your hubs on those topics when hundreds of authority gaming sites are producing content on the same thing? Check out my latest hub (click my face to visit my profile) and have a read on some good tips for your hubs. Also, if you link your Amazon affiliate ID in the earning area, you can just use Amazon capsules instead of messily linking out to Amazon products wink

Thanks for the response, WryLilt
      That's quite the resume you have there, and thanks for the info on Squidoo's revenue sharing model, I was unaware of it. You're probably right that my hubs are too broad and I should narrow them down. Is there a magic monthly searches I should try and aim towards? Thanks for the resources.

4. Marcy Goodfleisch profile image83
    Marcy Goodfleischposted 10 years ago

Welcome to HubPages!  And yes, please ignore the silly "Hubber" score.  Nobody knows what it means, and it will go up and down.  Just read hubs, comment on them and be active on the site, and that will help.  And when you're ready to write, start publishing hubs and that will help, too.  Glad to have you here; you will like this community!

5. LCDWriter profile image90
    LCDWriterposted 10 years ago

I think you will find many that write on and around one particular theme and subject and some like  me have several interests that we write about.  I would start with the subjects you know a lot about and then you can diversify later if you find another niche you like.

This is a very supportive place and I've learned a lot just by reading the forum posts and seeing what the veterans such as Marcy  advise in the way of ideas and how to make your hubs better.

People are very giving and I think it is a good place to start.  I think that the level of success depends on many factors.

It's not a get-rich quick place but there are some here that make a nice side income.

6. LongTimeMother profile image91
    LongTimeMotherposted 10 years ago

Whenever I start a new hub it tends to sit around for a while unpublished until I find the time to publish it. That drops my hubber score every time. I have about three or four half-baked hubs waiting for final editing right now and I think my hubber score is about 93.

Different factors seem to influence the score. I've hit 100 in the past but I can't remember what I was doing (or not doing) at the time. 

Your score will hover around an appropriate place once you've been active for a while. smile

7. larakern profile image67
    larakernposted 10 years ago

Welcome to hubpages! I'm not sure why your score would be so low. Try hub hopping and interacting more in the forums and you should see a rise in the number. It does take a little while as well.

I write for a number of freelance sites that tell me what to write. I like hubpages because I can choose whatever topic I want to write about. With that being said I can write freely and state whatever opinion is actually mine and in the words that I deem necessary. I have been with hubpages for over a year now and I can definitely see an improvement in so many skills that a freelance writer requires these days. I wrote a hub that skims the surface of everything that writers are suppose to do. If you want you can check it out here: http://larakern.hubpages.com/hub/The-Ba … -your-work .

I'm still rather new at this myself but if you have questions or anything I will always be happy to help. I wish you all the best here on hubpages!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)