jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (15 posts)

Is Google Keywords up to date?

1. Thomas Swan profile image98
    Thomas Swanposted 4 years ago

I have heard conflicting reports regarding Google Adwords Keyword Tool. I remember some people saying it isn't updated anymore. So I'm asking here, is it up to date? Is it still useful? I suppose it could still be useful even if it isn't completely up to date.

1. Simone Smith profile image93
      Simone Smithposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Great question, Thomas Swan. I have been told that the numbers are not accurate, though they can give one a good relative idea of which keywords get a lot of action.
      For this reason, we've seriously downplayed our emphasis on the tool in the Learning Center.

Thomas Swanposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Thanks Simone, that's what I thought. Though, if it's not accurate, I wonder how the advertisers reacted to that news.

2. Susana S profile image97
      Susana Sposted 4 years agoin reply to this

I think advertisers who use the tool for what is was designed for (choosing keyphrases to bid on for advertising their websites) would be mighty pissed off if it wasn't updated and/or wasn't useful. Also Google make most of their revenue from advertisers, so I doubt they would want to piss them off.

As someone who uses the tool from an advertiser perspective and a content provider perspective my opinion is that while it's never been 100% accurate, it is close enough to be very useful.

EDIT: something that I forgot to mention >> one thing that the keyword tool is useless at is giving search figures for new trends (because it won't have had time to collect the data). So if you're going to write about a totally new phrase/topic then I wouldn't bother with the tool, just go for what you think people are most likely to search for.

Thanks Susana. Most of my hubs are not about recent trends, so it's good to know the tool can still be of use to me.

2. bredies profile image60
    brediesposted 4 years ago

An interesting question.  I use another keyword tool and the numbers don't even come close to corresponding.  The only way I can match them is multiply by 100.
    I think Google is as confused as anyone else with all the animals in the kingdom.

3. Knightmare Golem profile image95
    Knightmare Golemposted 4 years ago

Ad revenue is the main income of Google, so there is no way they'd let their ad tools go out of date.  From what I recall the data is correlated on a monthly basis.

4. yupperclub profile image77
    yupperclubposted 4 years ago

Google is sharing its own database.  There could be a delay in the sharing (they don't permit access to their own up to the minute (second...etc) data, but I'm sure its just a time delay.  I would say it's still useful...just keep in mind the time delay.  Not sure how long...you can try to contact Google and ask (ha ha like they have time to answer little questions) or see if you can search the subject on the internet.  Maybe Google has already answered that questions.

Hah no, I won't be contacting google. I thought it might be common knowledge that it was out of date, and I was just out of the loop. I'm glad it's still a useful resource for the most part.

5. Jeanne Grunert profile image91
    Jeanne Grunertposted 4 years ago

Most professional SEO firms use a combination of tools for keyword searches. I use a combination of Google, WordTracker, and others. Google is great because it is free, but like Susana said, it has its limitations, especially around new trends.

Yes, I wouldn't pay for a keyword service. I don't know of anything other than Google that is free, but it seems as though it's still ok for my old-trend needs!

6. profile image0
    Beth37posted 4 years ago

Would that be "Are" Google keywords up to date?

Oh wait... If Google Keywords is all one thing like a title, then I spose it would be "Is" right?
    But Thomas is British so maybe it's a British thing.

7. Jasmeetk profile image83
    Jasmeetkposted 4 years ago

Even I was going to ask the same question. I am also thinking about that google adwords keyword tool can help in keyword suggestion or not?

Well I'm glad I asked it then! I hope you also got the answers you needed. smile

1. Jasmeetk profile image83
        Jasmeetkposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Yes, I got my answer. Even I was just going to post in the form and found your form asking for almost same things.
        Thank You...smile

working