jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (10 posts)

Modifying Highly Trafficked Hubs

1. Benjimester profile image91
    Benjimesterposted 4 years ago

So I have a number of hubs that I wrote a few years ago that are getting good search traffic.  What I'm wanting to do is write a spread of new hubs about similar topics and link the older hubs to the newer ones to give them a nice head start boost on traffic.  But I don't want to make too many modifications or add too many links to the older, already successful hubs.  Does anyone know in general how much you can change a webpage without it getting reevaluated and possibly lowered in the search results.  I'm guessing every little change matters, but most of the changes are improvements, because I'll be linking to supplemental information.  Thanks guys.

2. brakel2 profile image84
    brakel2posted 4 years ago

It used to be that when you edited a hub, it went back through the evaluation process. I don't think that has changed. Somebody from staff can correct me, if there has been a change recently.

3. Benjimester profile image91
    Benjimesterposted 4 years ago

Thanks.  I was more thinking of what happens when Google comes to reindex the Hub and sees that it's changed.

4. livewithrichard profile image84
    livewithrichardposted 4 years ago

The only way it will hurt you is if you link to bad neighborhoods which is unlikely in your scenario.  On many occasions, I have added more content to the end of a hub, or changed the links within a hub, without any impact on traffic.

Benjimesterposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Awesome, thanks.

5. WryLilt profile image86
    WryLiltposted 4 years ago

My highest traffic hubs always have at least 2-3 relevant related links. If I'm getting good traffic, I don't want to waste it on just one hub!!

Benjimesterposted 4 years ago in reply to this

My thoughts exactly.  I just didn't want to overdo it, linking to a bunch of new hubs just for the sake of feeding them traffic.  By your experience, it sounds like one to three links is probably safe.  Thanks for the info.

1. WryLilt profile image86
        WryLiltposted 4 years ago in reply to this

I usually do a coloured right aligned textbox with a text snippet of info. Sometimes under a related photo. I find a few obvious quality links beat a huge ugly list. smile

1. janshares profile image89
          jansharesposted 4 years ago in reply to this

You just answered my question, WryLilt. I've been putting my related hublinks of newer hubs in my older hubs that do well and vice-versa. The hub that does well continues to do so but it really hasn't increased traffic on other hubs very much. I guess it's because I just made a list in the link capsule. They are also at the bottom of the hub. I will revisit it. Any advice?

1. WryLilt profile image86
            WryLiltposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Sometimes I put a picture above the link as well as the lead in sentence, so it's as obvious as possible. I get quite a bit of referral traffic, but I have two hubs which often get over 1,000 views per day, so I think it may be a small percentage relatively.

working