Do I have to mention the source link if I am using photo from Google?

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (24 posts)
  1. zeusspeak profile image67
    zeusspeakposted 11 years ago

Just wondering, is it necessary to mention source link while using photos from search engines. And, if I do will it be beneficial for my hub or not?

1. Marisa Wright profile image85
      Marisa Wrightposted 11 years agoin reply to this

If you're using images from Google, you're probably breaking copyright law, whether you mention the source link or not.

The law on images is very, very simple.   All photos are copyright unless there's a statement giving permission to use it.   That statement will say something like "creative commons licensed' or "some rights reserved" or "public domain".   (note, "all rights reserved" or "copyright" means you can't use the photo under any circumstances). 

To find images on Google, you must use the Advanced search, look for the "usage rights" section and select "free to use or share, even commercially" (because HubPages counts as commercial).  That will give you a selection of photos you may be able to use - but even then, you must go to the original source of the image and check what it says, because Google sometimes gets it wrong.  And you will usually have to link to the original source of the image.

zeusspeakposted 11 years agoin reply to this

But Marisa what about those wikimedia images? Can I use them for my hubs in case I do not find relevant images?

1. queerlyobscure profile image70
          queerlyobscureposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Wikimedia is public domain. If you're searching Wikimedia then you can use the images, but you should still probably credit them. It could help your hub in Google, by the way, because it's better for people to click through to another page than leave your page by closing the tab.

You might be interested in this site - http://search.creativecommons.org/# - it allows you to search for images that are under a Creative Commons licence. You want ones that are okay for commercial use.

Thx Cecilia for the link, it really helped me, would keep things in mind the next time I am posting or revamping my hubs

You're very welcome!

2. Marisa Wright profile image85

Wikimedia is not all public domain.  Most of its images are provided under a licence of some kind, most of which demand you include a credit.

3. wilderness profile image95
            wildernessposted 11 years agoin reply to this

As Marisa says, Wikimedia is NOT public domain.  In general I find that US govt. photos are (they always are), old photos where the copyright has expired are (they always are as well), and a few from foreign governments are (varies by country).

Nearly everything else carries a license agreement, most of which requires crediting the owner and many of which prohibit any changes.  The majority are not in the public domain.

You know I've literally never come across a Creative Commons Wikimedia image (I assume because of the areas I'm looking in) and I actually had to go and look for one. I assumed they were a tiny minority of the resources there until I poked through aimlessly and came across a few that way.

1. wilderness profile image95
                wildernessposted 11 years agoin reply to this

big_smile  I think you're right in that it depends on what you're looking for.  I generally have to look hard for a public domain pic there that I can change with some text put into the photo.  For me the public domain ones are maybe 10% of what I see.  I'm learning what to look for (old photos, NASA, military, etc.) but they are definitely a minority. 

Interesting that you find it the opposite.

I guess because I'm usually looking for either images of old paintings/artworks in general, or pictures of space. Which obviously are both going to largely be public domain.

It doesn't even really occur to me to go there for things that wouldn't be. I head straight for Flickr. This thread has opened up a whole new source of images for me!

So, can we use images displayed on Flickr without any hassles?

2. Marisa Wright profile image85

They work exactly the same.  Scroll down below the image and you'll see a detailed statement, telling you what you can and can't do with the image, and who you need to credit.

2. queerlyobscure profile image70
    queerlyobscureposted 11 years ago

Images aren't actually 'from Google'. They're displayed by Google, but they don't belong to them. You need to go to the original source of the image, determine whether the owner will allow you to use it, and then credit them as necessary.

Thx Cecilia for the advice

3. Robin profile image85
    Robinposted 11 years ago

I appreciate your attention to legally use and attribute the images in your Hub!  We have created a fairly extensive Learning Center Hub on how to use images properly online.  You might want to check it out.  smile

Hey thx Robin for the link,

4. Writer Fox profile image33
    Writer Foxposted 11 years ago

More on U.S. government photos: Any photo taken by a U.S. government employee (including the military), during the course of that person's official duties, is automatically in the Public Domain, even if it was taken today. You can often find pictures of celebrities, general family photos, health and medical photos and famous places around the world in the online collection:
    http://www.usa.gov/Topics/Graphics.shtml

Thx for the link, I would definitely look into that

5. zeusspeak profile image67
    zeusspeakposted 11 years ago

ok, thx Marisa and all hubbers for sharing their wisdom

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)