"Updating 4 old hubs a month" Hub Challenge

Jump to Last Post 1-23 of 23 discussions (29 posts)
  1. cashmere profile image77
    cashmereposted 10 years ago

I have been writing for over 4 years at hubpages and in that time period there have been many changes. What I need to do and I'm sure many of you also need to do, is update old hubs that were written when I did not have a very good idea about how things work online.

So now I will sit and update 4 old hubs each month to improve my hub quality, and traffic situation. If I find some old hubs that no longer seem to be relevant I will (with a heavy heart) delete them all together.

Should you feel like joining me, please go on ahead and comment down below as to which hubs you have updated and how many you managed this month!

1. jonmcclusk profile image61
      jonmccluskposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Admirable goal, best of luck.

2. Christy Kirwan profile image91
      Christy Kirwanposted 10 years agoin reply to this

What a great idea, cashmere! Don't forget, you can post your updated Hubs in this thread to showcase your progress. smile

2. cashmere profile image77

I can post links here? I thought no links were allowed in the forums

1. Christy Kirwan profile image91
      Christy Kirwanposted 10 years agoin reply to this

You are allowed to share your Hub Challenge Hubs. smile

3. dwelburn profile image91
    dwelburnposted 10 years ago

I am in the process of updating all my hubs too. But I don't have anywhere near as many as you. Just 31 at the moment. I have got 8 to go, having done the others over the past couple of months. Best of luck with your updates.

4. cashmere profile image77

Okay re-reading old hubs is a painful process. One winces at each mistake made smile
    Any how, I managed to combine two not so great hubs based on Tarot into one decent hub that offers quality. Have deleted the one called Tarot decks and republished the one called Free Tarot Card Readings http://cashmere.hubpages.com/hub/Free-T … d-Readings

5. paradigmsearch profile image60
    paradigmsearchposted 10 years ago

I accept this audacious challenge.

Here is one of my today's updates...

[Second thoughts. Hub removed by poster until things calm down around here...]

6. cashmere profile image77

I had two hubs called Tarot Cards : Situation, Obstacle, Solution Tarot Reading layout  and    Two of My Favourite Tarot Layouts
    Well I combined them both into one hub, added more details and a quiz to make it more interactive. Included a single amazon capsule as opposed to heaps of them and am happier with the result. It is now called Tarot Cards : 3 Different Tarot Reading layouts explained
    and you can access it here
    http://cashmere.hubpages.com/hub/Tarot- … --Solution

7. cashmere profile image77

Okay 4 old hubs updated in following manner - 2 deleted and 2 updated with current material and stuff smile
    Challenge completed for this month, just 206 more hubs to wade through! big_smile

8. cashmere profile image77

In July I managed to get the 4 old hubs for this challenge. This month I have just revised the content on the hub that I had originally written for the London Olympics. I've deleted old content capsules and added a couple of ever green ones to the hub. Check it out here Its called -
    History, Symbols, Ceremonies, and more of the Olympic Games
    and the link is http://cashmere.hubpages.com/hub/Some-e … cs-in-2012

9. cashmere profile image77

I am now planning on taking a look at hubs that have not been featured. They obviously need more work to come up to acceptable standards. This was an old hub on home remedy for burns. Now I have added some details on types of burns and updated the number of remedies as well.
    The hub is called 14 Home Remedies For A Burn - Identify the Burns You Can Treat At Home
    and the link is http://cashmere.hubpages.com/hub/What-A … For-A-Burn

1. janshares profile image93
      jansharesposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I applaud your determination, cashmere. Updating our hubs is important to our survival and relevance online. The hub on burns looks fantastic.

10. janshares profile image93
    jansharesposted 10 years ago

Thank you for this thread, cashmere. I've been updating a lot, always finding something that could be better. My biggest Achilles heel is photo attribution. When I started at HP last year, I didn't do it correctly and have been going back, hub by hub, to change some images, improve quality, and correctly attribute them. There is one hub that need new images but I haven't found the time to cook the food to take the pictures to add to the hub! I feel bad that it's incorrect all this time, especially since it's my best performing hub. You've given me incentive to make the time. It's just been too hot to cook oxtails. smile

11. Millionaire Tips profile image92
    Millionaire Tipsposted 10 years ago

I've been editing a lot of my hubs too - mostly adding the copyright notice and reducing the number of Amazon items in the capsules.  I do want to take the time to read through them and make them better, and I did that with a couple of hubs, but mostly I am trying to do it factory line this time to make sure I don't miss anything.

12. cashmere profile image77

It is a good idea to update the hubs. Initially I was worried that the number of hubs would reduce and my presence would be not as much, but when I read some of them I was more than happy to delete them. So some of my old book review hubs have now been deleted. Four of them to be precise. I have transferred the material on to a new blog I have begun for book reviews. So the updating process continues...

13. cashmere profile image77
    cashmereposted 9 years ago

Why is it that updating hubs suddenly takes backseat to life when you really want to get around to clearing up old hubs...Anyhow! Have not been able to do much since the last couple of months and hope to do some major work on hubs in the coming weeks.

1. tsmog profile image84
      tsmogposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Just discovering the thread a hearty best wishes and go-go-go with the aspirations. Have you tried downloading your .csv file at the statistics page onto an Excel spreadsheet yet? You can insert a column and label your hubs with the grouping. Then you can look at the group that is performing best and work toward that rather than hubs here and there.

Plus, for me it seems much more an objective viewpoint rather than a subjective one. You can use the sort and filter features. For instance group them by ever views then 30 day view with the filter. For me I see which really stand out like there is a high ever view and no 30 day view vs. a medium ever views and high 30 day view vs an low ever views and zero 30 day view. I can prioritize differently. Then it does not seem overwhelming for me. I know which to work on adding strength to a group and the overall portfolio.

I created groups with names like 'Rethink', 'Rewrite', and 'Delete' for hubs I decided to unpublish those strengthening the overall portfolio. Getting the ones I have doubts over out of the way made the ones I feel best a happier experience. Hence I use the grouping page or the downloaded .csv file converted to an Excel file instead of the statistics page where they all seem to just stare at me.

I say you are doing the best choice with the aspiration. What I suggested you may already be doing. I dun'no . . . but, sharing I find it much easier as groups and those strengths and examining away from HP much less stressful and more objective. The ambiance of my history with HP is not present on the spreadsheet. Only the facts and figures are. I hope this may be of some help. smile

14. cashmere profile image77

That is a great idea. I never thought of downloading the hubs as a .csv file. It would make the sifting process a whole lot simpler. Thanks for the tip!

15. boutiqueshops profile image60
    boutiqueshopsposted 9 years ago

This is a great idea!  I'll participate with you.  I don't have that many, but already some of them could use a dusting off.  I'll be back soon with some that I've updated and look forward to seeing the ones ya'll update too.  smile

16. cashmere profile image77

Finished editing a hub today. Hopefully it reads better now
    http://cashmere.hubpages.com/hub/Patra- … eaf-Recipe

17. cashmere profile image77

Another non featured hub updated
    This one deals with buying your second car!
    http://cashmere.hubpages.com/hub/Buying … pay-for-it

18. Sherry Hewins profile image92
    Sherry Hewinsposted 9 years ago

What a great idea. I'm surprised more people did not join you in this challenge.

19. misslong123 profile image83
    misslong123posted 9 years ago

Hey, you guys should check out my hub that explains in detail how to turn hub pages cvs file into a useful excel file. If you are thinking of doing that, I think it will really help you. Let me know what you think and if it helps you! Regards, Michele

20. cashmere profile image77

Please feel free to join in Sherry!
    Misslong123, I am struggling with my excel file as I type! There are just so many fields and too much data to process smile

1. tsmog profile image84
      tsmogposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Cashmere. (I simply do not know what you know of Excel. This may seem redundant. If it does I apologize smile )

For the beginning just download the file and leave them in the columns assigned by the csv file.

Now, right click on that worksheet tab. In the PopUp where it says 'Move or Copy' select that. Highlight (Move to End) & click the box [Create a Copy]. Click OK. Now you have two identical sheets. Using right click on the worksheet tab rename the original - Master WorkSheet or just Master. Name the new one Playground or something.

At the first play/learn worksheet Right click on row 1. Select Delete. It is not needed. If you need to know what that original row deleted said then look at the Master WorkSheet.

Use the second copy or what I call the Playground worksheet copy begin your changes and practicing if not familiar with Excel. Again I simply am unaware if you are or not familiar with Excel. So, this is a beginning to play set of instructions.

Next, practice using the data tab features. Sort and filter. They will not change the fields, rows or columns permanently. They can be sorted back to the column labeled 'Name' anytime you like. Sorting by a column name for highest first or least will show you a way to compare hubs.

Do the following . . .

Sort the 'Total' views by largest to smallest. Highlight the top 25 or ?? with a color in that column only - light green

Sort the '30 days' views by largest to smallest. Highlight the top 25 or ?? with a color in that column only - light yellow

Now sort by title. They will be alphabetical. Look at the ones that both colors are in the same row. Those are your top hubs for the last 30 days and Total views that are a Top 25 or ??? performer. That is just a start and practice with the sort feature.

The most easiest information you will need to know is the average for hubs by month. In the column next to 'Featured' (Featured = Column N) label the column Mths Pub (It should be column 'O' (if no columns were deleted and the first column is 'A') Then type the number for months published ( 1 - 12 - 18 - ???) for each hub/row in the corresponding cell in the Mths. Pub column. The first hub/row for Mths. Pub will be cell O2

Then, at the next column label it Mths Avg. Now, type the 'equal' sign in cell for the first hub in column Mths. Avg. (should be P2 if no changes were made to the original csv file). Next, after the equal sign type  O2/P2. It should look like this =O2/P2. Hit enter. The product will be the average of hubs read per month.

Now click in that cell and hold the cursor until the fat plus sign appears at the bottom right of that cell. The plus sign will become skinny. Next, with that skinny plus sign showing right click the mouse and hold it down. Drag downward. You will see a highlighted field appear. Drag all the way to the last hub/row.

Once at the bottom lift up from the right side mouse. A pop-up window will appear. Select 'Copy Cells'. The formula will be copy/pasted for every cell highlighted in that column - Mths Avg for each hub by row. You will now have the average by month.

Next, sort again by that column name - Mths Ave, for largest to smallest. Highlight and color the Top 25 or ??? those cells say light blue. Now you can see all the top performing hubs by color for Average Month, Total Views, and last 30 Days. The ones with all three colors are the very best. The ones with Total and Average and  not the last 30 days are the Next Best and so forth.

Color code the hub title name by Very best say Gold. The next Best say Dark Yellow. And the Next best a different color.

Now play and discover. The goal is to discover for 'you' the strongest. In the column next to Mths Avg (should be column Q) use a code system for what you wish to do with hub. K = Keep. RW = Rewrite. D = Delete. UP = Unpublish. Or, what ever you come up with. Next, sort them by that column and they will be grouped by your Action Plan for hubs.

Copy that worksheet and name it playground 2. Look closely at each grouping of the Action Plan. Consider this is just to look about and see the best as they are today. It is not a means for measuring performance on a weekly or monthly basis. Just a place to decide what to do.

21. misslong123 profile image83

Tweaking measuring traffic and achieving success on hubpages. That is the title of my hub. Again, please please refer to it for easy step by step instructions on how to convert csv to excel and use it properly. I hope you take my advice. It will answer all of your questions.

22. cashmere profile image77

Tsmog, I am totally intimidated by the whole long list of instruction. As you can imagine I have not worked much with Excel, but I am going to give it a shot. Thank you for your help.

Misslong123 thanks for the details. i will take a look at your hub as well

23. misslong123 profile image83

Great! I think it will really help you. It is very simple to follow with pictures and all. And of course let me know if you have any questions.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)