KNOWN ISSUE: Table render issue in Chrome and Internet Explorer

Jump to Last Post 1-12 of 12 discussions (20 posts)
  1. cornwall_UK profile image70
    cornwall_UKposted 10 years ago

I've only just noticed, so will have to check all my hubs, but the new, narrower, version on Hubpages is making my tables look daft.  The floating portion goes completely over the top of the right hand side.

It never used to be like that.

It seems that "narrow tables only" will have to be the order of the day.

This is the hub I am about to remove the table from entirely as it's the quickest way to "fix" it.
    http://cornwall-uk.hubpages.com/hub/Lea … in-Newquay

1. LCDWriter profile image90
      LCDWriterposted 10 years ago

That is strange.  And it looked okay earlier?  I use tables a lot.  I'm going to check mine.  Have you tried breaking up that one long URL?  It might fix it....

2. Victoria Lynn profile image86
      Victoria Lynnposted 10 years ago

That's odd. Mine always adjust to fit the page. I haven't noticed anything like this. Hmmmm . . . .

3. cornwall_UK profile image70

Yes, it used to look OK, when the available page was wider. Now the page margins are so huge it doesn't fit.  I'd have never published it in the first instance looking like that.

Yes I could break up the url, or remove the column.... instead I will remove the table and information and put it elsewhere.

4. LCDWriter profile image90
      LCDWriterposted 10 years ago

From what I can tell so far my tables look the same.  That is strange.

1. NateB11 profile image89
        NateB11posted 10 years agoin reply to this

Yes, my tables are fine too.

5. psycheskinner profile image83
      psycheskinnerposted 10 years ago

It probably depends on the number of columns, whether the table was able to adjust down to the new size or not.

6. Robin profile image86
      Robinposted 10 years ago

If you type in "Command +" or "Command -" does it fix the problem?  Sometimes increasing or decreasing the size fixes the problem.  If you post a link we can all see if we are seeing the same issue.  smile

1. cornwall_UK profile image70
        cornwall_UKposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I did post a link, it's here: http://cornwall-uk.hubpages.com/hub/Lea … in-Newquay

And I've left it "as is" for now, so the problem can be seen.

Me doing Command + or - would only make it appear differently on my screen, not my readers' screens.

It seems to be OK in Firefox, not OK in Chrome.

LCDWriterposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Before you delete it, see if you can just break up that one long URL---they make the formatting funny for textboxes and for tables.

2. LCDWriter profile image90

http://s1.hubimg.com/u/8273000_f248.jpg

Don't know if you can see this but I tested the table breaking up that long url and it fixes it.

I just put a space after .com so that the table knows to wrap the text.

3. Matthew Meyer profile image70
          Matthew Meyerposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I have tested and reproduced the formatting bug in Chrome 28 and Internet Explorer 10.
          As you observed, it does not appear to affect Firefox, nor Opera.
          I have forwarded this to our engineering team so it can be addressed.
          Thank you for taking the time to let us know.

7. cornwall_UK profile image70

I'll still remove the table, the info's a bit out of date and the list is too long to be useful ... and I've got a new home for the info.

But I do need to look at other hubs - and think twice about future tables.

I did it like that as I didn't want to provide outbound links from  my hubs unnecessarily.... and it used to always look fine, until they reduced the width of hubs.

8. IzzyM profile image88
      IzzyMposted 10 years ago

We have the same problem in this excellent hub about chickens - http://k9keystrokes.hubpages.com/hub/Ch … h-Problems

9. cornwall_UK profile image70

Yes, the chickens have the same problem. 

I'm happy to remove my table as it doesn't look right and doesn't really add much to the hub - and I've got a "new home" for my list (due to falling traffic I've no urgency to make it right here).

So, it's not just me then smile
      And it's not just long character strings.

10. Glenn Stok profile image96
      Glenn Stokposted 10 years ago

The problem has been addressed by LCDWriter above. But maybe I can add some understanding to this. Tables always try to automatically adjust column width.  But it's limited by two thingsā€¦

(1) Too many columns and it will overflow anyway, as in IzzyM's example.

(2) Width of columns adjusts by wrapping the text. But if you have a long string of characters (such as that URL you have in your table) then it can't wrap. It will, instead, widen the column to hold the long character string in one line.

Now with HP's narrower Hub width, this problem is more noticeable.

One solution is for HubPages to change the code so that long strings will be concatenated so that the column does not widen so much as to push the right side off the displayed area.

But that's not a viable solution. I am sure no one wants text to be hidden. I suggest the best solution is the pay attention to text length when constructing tables, and break up long strings with spaces.

As for that long URL in your example, replace it with something short. Forget about using full URL's anyway, since URL's are not clickable in table capsules (unless HP changes that in the future and adds the ability to make hyperlinks in tables).

So the only viable solution (presently) is to shorten the URL into something else, and do away with displaying URLs in tables.

Very detailed and easy-to-follow explanation, as usual, Glen Stok!

1. Glenn Stok profile image96
          Glenn Stokposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Thank you. smile

11. Robin profile image86
      Robinposted 10 years ago

Good morning!  We talked to our engineers about the issue, and it's quite a feat to fix the problem.  Unfortunately, we don't have the resources to work on it right now.  Both Glen and LCDWriter had great suggestions.  You could also include a tinyurl to shorten your long urls.  Sorry about the inconvenience!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
    Necessary
    HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
    LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
    Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
    AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
    Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
    CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
    Features
    Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
    Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
    Marketing
    Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
    Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
    Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
    Statistics
    Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
    ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
    ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)