Copyright thieves

Jump to Last Post 1-4 of 4 discussions (17 posts)
  1. Thomas Swan profile image96
    Thomas Swanposted 10 years ago

Recently, I found that a number of my articles have been stolen for use on various sites and blogs. In at least two cases the stolen version has been outperforming mine, and ranking higher on google. I have been busy filing DMCA notices, and most have responded positively, but is there any way for me (and Hubpages) to recoup lost earnings? For example, one stolen page had traffic of 21k, which beats my 6k. It's incredible how the thief gets 3x the traffic, and ranks higher, but I can't change google. However, the stolen content was on a revenue sharing site that will presumably respond positively to my notice. They will no doubt confiscate the thief's earnings too. So, why can't I make a claim to be paid what my article has earnt? Has anyone else tried and had any luck?

1. profile image0
      epsonok0posted 10 years agoin reply to this

The only way I can figure is if you go to google webmaster tools and force a recrawl and re index of your hub. Only do this after the offending content gets wiped out. Other wise your new crawl will be outperformed by the stolen one. And you only get so many crawls.
      He/she is outperforming you because he/she is on a site that allows html modifications. He/ she is using the new HTML layouts that optimize you for hummingbird and google is recognizing him or her as more complete for the information than you.
      We can not modify the HTML of our hubs so in cases like this we are stuck watching our views plummet and the offenders views climb.

Thomas Swanposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Damn, that's sad but you're probably right. I'm going to set up some "google alerts" using text from my best hubs. That should catch them before they have a chance to do much damage. I hadn't checked anything for about 3 months, and these thieves were sharing the stolen articles everywhere, which probably helped them overtake me. I wish google would recognize it's stolen and do something about it, but they just seem to value ad-revenue from the traffic these thieves are generating for themselves.

2. wilderness profile image95
      wildernessposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Yes, you can file suit in a court of law in the thief's country of residence.  Be prepared to show exactly how much money you lost.

Other than that, no.  I highly doubt that another site will (or legally can) withhold earnings from anyone just because you insist it is stolen material.  Not even if you prove it as they are not a court or judge.

Thanks for replying. I wouldn't want to go to court about it. I was just wondering if anyone's had any luck with contacting these revenue sharing sites to reclaim the money that has been earned from copyrighted work. It's a long shot I know, but it would be nice if there was an easy way. I mean, 21k views equates to about 42 dollars on hubpages. Another stolen hub of mine may have generated hundreds for a thief. That's not to be sniffed at, and I wish there was a way to reclaim it.

1. Writer Fox profile image31
          Writer Foxposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Send them a bill.  Seriously. And, threaten to report them to AdSense or whatever monetization they were using if they don't pay.

One of them had the cheek to request putting the stolen page back up with an attribution. Thing is, the URL of the page is still showing very high in search results (with a page 404 error now). If I allowed them to reinsert the content with an attribution, am I right in saying it would pretty much retain its search position as if nothing happened? Anyway, I refused, gave further evidence of theft (from social media shares by the author) and requested compensation. I'll let you know what happens. If not, I'll name the site here because it's a fairly big one smile .

You need to have the cache removed from search engines so that the listing will be removed.

To remove the cache of on Google:

http://support.google.com/bin/static.py … page=ts.cs
              (click inside the circle which says 'Web Search', then scroll down the page and click inside the circle which says 'A piece of content I am concerned about has already been removed by the webmaster but still appears among the search results.' Then, click on the link 'this tool.' You'll then be asked to sign in and then to enter the page URL and, if the page is still live, a word from the outdated cache page that you want to remove.

To remove the cache on Bing/Yahoo:
              http://www.bing.com/webmaster/help/bing … l-cb6c294d

It can take 24 – 48 hours for the removal process.

Thanks Writer Fox. I told the site why I was refusing their contributors request, and they claim to be removing the URL completely now. I'll let them do it and see what happens. If not, I can do what you've described.

You remove the cache AFTER they have removed your content.  Hope they do.

2. relache profile image72
    relacheposted 10 years ago

Whatever they earned from 21k views, it's gonna cost you several thousand times that to take it to court with all parties involved and win your case.   However, if you did happen to actually file for government copyright of the stolen work, the kind where you have a formal copyright ID assigned to your work, a lawsuit might actually be kinda lucrative...

Thanks for replying. Yea, I wasn't suggesting going to court. It would have to be via emails and digital evidence. I realize it's a long shot, but I am curious to know if anyone else has ever done it successfully. I'm not sure what government copyright is; has anyone got that for their hubs before?

3. Marie Flint profile image73
    Marie Flintposted 10 years ago

Writer Fox, you are so knowledgeable about technical processes. Hub Pages is very lucky to have you. I can't begin to hold a candle to your expertise in online workings.

I am truly sorry writers here at Hub Pages are running into theft issues, and I find the matter a bit depressing. On the one hand, I am honored if someone feels my work is worth copying; on the other, I would like to reap a little reward for my efforts, too. (Sigh! Maybe a hubber knight in shining honor will come to my rescue and mentor me.)

God bless you!

Gosh, Thanks!

4. Stacie L profile image88
    Stacie Lposted 10 years ago

I like the suggestion of sending them a bill...and I naively suggest writing a copywrite notice at the top of each Hub...yeah they can remove it .
    I had once placed a copywrite violation with the sites address at the top of one stolen Hub to ask readers to report any place else they may have read it.

1. Marisa Wright profile image87
      Marisa Wrightposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I have been paid for plagiarised content in the past but only in very specific circumstances

http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/118244#post2495512

Thanks for the link. Like many have said there, it's useless to negotiate with thieves. I just filed a DMCA notice or gave a stern warning of impending action to thieves who put the stolen work up on wordpress or blogspot. That seems to have worked for the most part, but I don't see any way of recouping earnings from them. However, in two cases, the stolen work was "contributed" by the thieves on reputable websites for well-known companies. Given that these companies have legal teams, and financial records of what their contributors are paid, I can make a claim, and may be successful. I suppose I could have asked for money upfront to use the article (with attribution), but they'd probably just take it down and not want to pay for it. Besides, I want the pages gone. They were outranking me in search results because of the reputation of the sites, and the number of backlinks going to them.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)