Hub or the Day & Editors Choice Hubs!

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (53 posts)
  1. sallybea profile image93
    sallybeaposted 10 years ago

http://s2.hubimg.com/u/8509821_f520.jpg
    I had not realized until today that if someone has earned a Hub of the Day Accolade you can click on the icon on their profile page to read the contents of the Hubs which have earned the accolade. 

I am wondering if HubPages Staff might like like to consider doing the same thing with the Editors Choice Accolades?

What do others think?

1. Barbara Kay profile image74
      Barbara Kayposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I don't see any advantage in it, because I didn't know that you could click on the accolade for Hub of the Day either. I wonder how many do. It would be alot of work for Hubpages without many advantages.

sallybeaposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Would it be a lot of work?  Maybe HubPages staff can tell us whether it would be advantageous to them or not!
        What advantage do the links from the HOTD Accolades have for HubPages?

Sorry, thought I would just ask the question.

2. Barbara Kay profile image74

I want one of your frogs for Christmas. So cute.

You could make your own!  If a kid can do it, then you can too.
        Sorry Barbara Kay - it may be past  it's sell by date by then.

3. Robin profile image86
      Robinposted 10 years agoin reply to this

That is a good suggestion.  I will bring it up in our community meeting on Thursday!  Thanks! smile

Robin - You are very welcome  - the Editors Choice Hubs would so easily accessed from a profile page.  Glad you liked the idea.

2. profile image0
        sheilamyersposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Thanks Robin. I was also wondering about the individual hubs being marked as Editor's Choice. I always see the Hub of the Day pictured next to the hub title. Is there any chance you'll ever mark the hubs that are Editor's Choices the same way?

I think I came across one the other day but could be wrong!  None of my own are marked - think it was this which got me wondering about the links on the profile page.  Maybe Robin will come back again.

3. sallybea profile image93

Robin I wondered whether HubPages had discussed this idea at their meeting a few weeks back! 
        Thanks
        Sally

4. Sherry Hewins profile image93
      Sherry Hewinsposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I really like that feature on the HOTD accolade. I remember when they fixed that so it is clickable and I use that feature often.

Hi Sherry Hewins - I only found it by accident but am pleased that I did - thanks for your input - I really think this would be a nice feature to have added.

5. profile image0

I also like the idea. I didn't know about being able to click on the HUD accolade and being able to see the hubs with that award. Thanks for letting us know.

sheilamyers - you are very welcome.  I was glad to discover the links attached to the HOTD,  Thanks for your input.

6. Thelma Alberts profile image90
      Thelma Albertsposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I´m glad about this information. Thank you sallybea. The frog looks great.

Thanks Thelma I appreciate the comment.  Now we just have to know if this was discussed at the staff meeting.

Sally

7. Cardisa profile image89
      Cardisaposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Can I ask why you keep posting that photo every time you create a forum or question?

I don't this is the same thread which is four weeks old - I was just replying to it.   Not sure how I remove an once it has been posted the first time!   Sorry if the frog was irritating you but the thread is now closed -you won't need to see it again.  Myy thanks to Robin.

2. cheaptrick profile image75
    cheaptrickposted 10 years ago

That's a mighty tasty looking frog...have you eaten it yet?...I just looove frogs...

Yes it has been eaten sadly but thank goodness it was not just the legs we had to eat!   Check out how to make your own Edible Bread Frog on my Pages, I have no intention of sharing my frog next time!   Hey, I  think we went off the subject somewhat there!   You have a great day.

3. Marcy Goodfleisch profile image84
    Marcy Goodfleischposted 10 years ago

Great idea, and I really love that frog!  I want to start baking again, just so I can make one of those!

Marcy Goodfleisch -glad you like the frog -  one should never give up baking - especially when it involves making edible bread frogs.
      Thanks for your input - here's hoping HubPages Staff think it is a good idea.

4. Robin profile image86
    Robinposted 10 years ago

Hi Sally,
    Our Thursday meeting was cancelled two weeks ago and last Thursday was Thanksgiving, so we haven't discussed it yet.  I'll bring it up this Thursday!  wink

Hi Robin,
      Was there any outcome to the proposal I made at the staff meeting please.
      Thank you,
      Sally

1. Robin profile image86
        Robinposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Hi Sally,
        I really liked your suggestion.  One of the problems with showing all EC Hubs is that some Hubbers have many EC Hubs and the UI on this would be awkward; this is not usually the case with HOD Hubs. 

We talked a lot about Hubber suggestions in our last meeting.  We are working on ways to better listen to and implement Hubber ideas.  One of our concerns is the maintenance of the new features.  All of the features on the site need to be maintained (many times maintaining older features prevents us from creating new, more likely to be used features.)  We get a lot of suggestions, and we don't like telling Hubbers that we can't implement their ideas, but the reality is that even if a feature is easy to create, it may take significant man power to maintain within the entire site structure.  I think this is something that is often overlooked - it was by me until it was explained by our engineers.  I just wanted you to have an idea of our point of view when reviewing features.  Many times we think they are great, but we just don't have the resources to implement everything.  We also have to weigh what we feel will impact the most Hubbers, e.g., mobile was a significant and time consuming improvement that benefited all Hubbers.  Thanks again for your suggestions!  We do appreciate them, even if we can't implement them all.  smile

HI Robin
          That is not a problem - I completely understand and I appreciate your taking the time to putting the suggestion forward. 
          it is always nice to know that the idea was considered even if it could not be implemented.
          Thank you,
          Sally

2. profile image0

Hi Robin.

After reading your response, I can understand why the suggestion would be difficult to maintain if implemented. As I read, another idea popped into my head that may serve as an alternative. This idea would list all Editor's Choice hubs by all members. Would it be possible to add a browse category for hubs labeled "Editor's Choice Hubs". It could be either a main category on the first page under the main categories or perhaps a subcategory under each of those.

5. sallybea profile image93
    sallybeaposted 10 years ago

Hi Robin,

Thank you, That is nice to know.  I appreciate your coming back to this question.

Sally

6. Marie Flint profile image74
    Marie Flintposted 10 years ago

I didn't know that either, Sally. An Editor's Choice  icon doesn't show, though, until you've had five. So, if you clicked on the Editor's Choice symbol, which hub would result? Hmm.

Marie Flint
      Hello, yes, I am aware of that - you would probably not be able to do this until a person had more than five Editors Choice Hubs, that is at the moment but maybe that could changed  to one - not sure if  HubPages Staff would agree to putting this into motion.  - it seemed to me though that if this is being done for Hub of the Day, then it could just as easily be done for Editors Choice Hubs.  We will have to wait and see!
      Sally

1. Marie Flint profile image74
        Marie Flintposted 10 years agoin reply to this

If Hub Pages does implement the Editor's Choice connection, it might help with traffic.

Marie - it might very well do - a bonus if they can see themselves clear to implementing it.

7. IzzyM profile image87
    IzzyMposted 10 years ago

I don't see the point in publicising a user's Editor's Choice Awards.
    It will just become a Thieves Charter. Hey these are the good hubs, let's steal those!
    Let's face it, EC is just an experiment to see how well good hubs do when back on the main domain.

1. Barbara Kay profile image74

I've been working on all of my stolen ones today. You might be right Izzy. We have so many stolen already.

I don't even dare look to see if I have had any stolen.

2. Writer Fox profile image30
      Writer Foxposted 10 years agoin reply to this

An EC designation doesn't necessarily mean that a Hub gets a lot of search engine traffic.  I opted out of the EC program, but so many Hubbers have reported that their EC Hubs are some which didn't get much traffic.

I think it is time that the staff gave everyone some feedback on the entire EC program, what it was meant to accomplish and if Google has been impressed with the effort.

Writer Fox
        I have nine and they are pretty much in a niche subject.  They continue to get a fair bit of traffic - but they were doing well before that.  My problem is that I have more writing on the same subject which have somehow escaped the Editors Choice Hubs Net.  The quality of them is equal to those selected - I don't think that there are enough real people to real all the Hubs - it makes me feel frustrated.
        There are so many things which are not being addressed - perhaps Hubbers need a committee of some sort to work in our interests.  Perhaps Billybuc could be our spokesman, once he has received a reply to his open letter!

Thanks for your comment.

Sally

3. sallybea profile image93

sorry, that should have said not enough real people to read he Editors Choice Hubs.

4. sallybea profile image93

Well,some sort of feedback would be really nice regarding how well they are doing.

1. Susana S profile image90
        Susana Sposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I think you'll have to be patient regarding the overall effect of the EC hubs project (as with most things in this sphere). Some hubs will see an immediate benefit from being EC, others could take months to see improvement, if at all. It's a long term experiment. E.g. one of my hubs that has been EC for a good few months has only just started to pick up.

P.S. you can nominate your own hubs for EC if you want to.

I tried doing it for one which I felt needed to be with one of it because of it's content - but so far, not a sausage - it takes real people to read them and I guess I have to realize that you have just had thanksgiving in the States  - patience is a virtue they say!
          I will try to practice some from today.

1. Susana S profile image90

I'm in the UK smile

Oh that is nice to know, thank you. I posed a question yesterday - about whether there were any stats for the numbers of people from Europe who might be writing on here.

2. sallybea profile image93

I should have known that too.

1. susi10 profile image96
                susi10posted 10 years agoin reply to this

I'm from the British Isles too. Great to see you, Sally and Susana from the UK! Closer to home. smile

Hi Suzi10
                  Have missed you - good to see you too.

2. Susana S profile image90

smile

2. Writer Fox profile image30
        Writer Foxposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Paul Deeds posted this comment on the Forum about the EC award three weeks ago:
        "It can have an effect on traffic, often positive but sometimes negative."
        http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/118331#post2497600

Thanks for the link  - interesting, I must have missed that one.

8. erorantes profile image48
    erorantesposted 10 years ago

I like the way. You bake your bread. It was creative. I love it. I bake too. One of this days. I am going to create my own frog. Thanks for the idea.

Good for you, hope you enjoy baking your frog.

9. erorantes profile image48
    erorantesposted 10 years ago

First time, I see the frog. Please keep it, so other writers can see it. And new visitors can see your creativity. Congratulation on your article.

Thank you very much for visiting the Hub and I appreciate your input.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)