jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (14 posts)

Hi & a question about flickr images

1. DaveOnline profile image87
    DaveOnlineposted 3 years ago

Hello, I am introducing myself here, I've been on Hubpages since October last year and gradually learning and finding my way about here. I've been writing for a year & a half on another writing site but wanted to expand my horizons.
    I have published 7 hubs so have not yet been able to get Google Adsense approval. I have problems with images sometime spending hours trying to get an image that is not blurred. When I try to save an image from Flickr I can only download it. When I grab the code from an image and try to copy it, it gets rejected. Does this mean I have to get permission from the photographer? Thanks if anyone can help, David

1. Writer Fox profile image57
      Writer Foxposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Not every image from Flickr is available for you to use on a website.  This explains which photos you can use and which ones you can't:
      http://www.flickr.com/creativecommons/

DaveOnlineposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Thank you

2. LuisEGonzalez profile image89
      LuisEGonzalezposted 3 years agoin reply to this

You can get any image from Flickr although sometimes you have to click on it twice and it is easier to "save image" to your computer instead of "downloading" it.

Whether you can use it or not is a different story. You must see the author's copyright notice and adhere to it if you want to use the image and many authors do not allow or rather permit others from using their work.

Thank you

3. Matthew Meyer profile image75
      Matthew Meyerposted 3 years agoin reply to this

There is a related Learning Center Hub that has image usage guidelines and best practices. It isn't specific to Flickr, but more general.
      http://hubpages.com/learningcenter/legal-image-use

4. Marisa Wright profile image98
      Marisa Wrightposted 3 years agoin reply to this

I wrote a Hub about how to use Flickr images legally.  You'll find it in the slider on my profile.

2. amiebutchko profile image87
    amiebutchkoposted 3 years ago

I always save the image to my computer and then import it from there into my hub.  I generally try to use those images that are public domain, to ensure correct attribution.

3. cecileportilla profile image77
    cecileportillaposted 3 years ago

Hi DaveOneline
    If you are still unable to save image from Flickr please do the following. Click on the picture and then on the option to save in a new tab. Once you do this you will see three small circles to the right of the pic that once clicked gives you the option to download or save/view. You will then be taken to a new window where you will see the copyright status of the pic. You will be able to save from that window.

1. amiebutchko profile image87
      amiebutchkoposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Thank you!  You just taught me so much!

4. psycheskinner profile image82
    psycheskinnerposted 3 years ago

Foter.com provides an easy way to search Flikr images available for commercial use.

5. Victoria Lynn profile image92
    Victoria Lynnposted 3 years ago

On flickr, I also click on advanced search in order to check the boxes Creative Commons and for commercial use. That way I know that any photo I find I can use. And as others have said, it's easier to save the image to your computer and then upload it to a hub.

Thanks to you all for your replies and advice on Flickr images, DaveOnline

1. Victoria Lynn profile image92
        Victoria Lynnposted 3 years agoin reply to this

You're welcome! When I first started at HubPages, I had no idea where to look for pictures, what kind of get, how to attribute them, etc . . .  There's a lot to learn!

working