jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (12 posts)

Preferred Browsers?

1. DzyMsLizzy profile image92
    DzyMsLizzyposted 3 years ago

Early in my Hub Pages "career," I seem to recall reading somewhere in the site that "...Hub Pages is optimized for Firefox." (Italic emphasis is mine.)  Am I mistaken?

However, I have more problems on Hub Pages when using Firefox than with Google Chrome.  (I no longer use IE at all...it is really slow and clunky.)

Today, for example, I was having serious issues with lag every time I wanted to view a different page, hub, forum post, or what-have-you.  Finally, I closed out and switched to Google, and everything is fine.

And yes, I recently updated to the most recent version of Firefox.

What's going on, here?  If it was a problem with my computer, the problem would persist regardless of browser.  I actually prefer Firefox, because it has a built-in automatic ad blocker, which is a major plus on sites like Face Book.  Is it their ad-blocker that slows it down so much?

1. Matthew Meyer profile image74
      Matthew Meyerposted 3 years ago in reply to this

We do suggest Firefox as the best browser experience for the site.
      >>If it was a problem with my computer, the problem would persist regardless of browser.
      That is not necessarily the case as it could be a browser plugin or other software issue specific to the browser that is having problems (cache, plugins, etc.)

It is possible the ad blocking software is affecting your browser performance.
      Ad blocking software often interferes with displaying the site properly, so I would suggest disabling it.

Please, if you have any problems with your browser, try these steps
      http://hubpages.com/learningcenter/Diag … r-problems
      (including clearing your browser cache and restating your computer) before posting to the forum.

DzyMsLizzyposted 3 years ago in reply to this

I will usually ask in the forums, because the FAQ/Learning Center has gotten so big and cumbersome that it is difficult to find what you're looking for, if you're not an "insider."  Using the 'search' utility just as often presents a list of answers out on the web, rather than germane only to Hub Pages.
        And....
        ...."Ad blocking software often interferes with displaying the site properly, so I would suggest disabling it."  ... I wonder why I would want to disable the one feature I like best about Firefox???

1. brakel2 profile image85
          brakel2posted 3 years ago in reply to this

I know you love it, but if it messes with Firefox, is it worth it? Has your Firefox crashed?

Ironically, it only gives me issues here on HP....  It can be a bit slow, and some lag time, but I'm sure that's the ad-blocker at work.  It is just worse here at HP, that's all, (which I find ironic), but it has never crashed outright.
            I mean, we've gotten spoiled with fast speeds; I remember the old dial-up modems.  You want to talk lag times.....LOL

Last night, I thought it was crashing; had all kinds of problems trying to watch a TV show on Hulu(dot)com...but then I switched to Chrome, and had the same issue, so decided it was a problem at Hulu instead.

(BTW--as far as I can tell, the ad-blocker is built into Firefox; not something I deliberately activated, so I'd have no clue how to turn it off.  I'm no techie.)

My understanding is that ad blocking in Firefox requires a plugin/extension and I'm not aware of Firefox including an ad blocking feature by default.
              Are you perhaps thinking about a pop-up blocker? Many browsers do block pop-up content (including pop-up ads) by default.

When I used Ad blocker, I had to turn it on. It was a plug-in or an extension.

2. DzyMsLizzy profile image92

No, I do not recall ever having to install an extra plug-in, or turn anything on.  And no, not just pop-ups; it also blocks out all those annoying sidebar ads all over Face Book....

2. catgypsy profile image79
    catgypsyposted 3 years ago

I have been having problems with Firefox for the last couple of weeks. It's getting really slow and I keep getting "can't load page" messages and all sorts of problems. When I switch to Chrome, I'm not having these problems. It's really annoying and I always loved Firefox. I'm glad to read someone else is having problems too.

Firefox has been driving me crazy too. It has crashed twice in the past week. My son optimized my computer, and I still have trouble.

I think there is an issue with Firefox 27.0.1 for Windows.
        I had it crash on me 3 or more times several days last week.

I just checked and there is an update available, so I would suggest upgrading now! (I'm doing it right now as well)

3. tehgyb profile image83
    tehgybposted 3 years ago

I'm in that same group - I definitely prefer Chrome over any other.
    I rarely, if ever, encounter issues with HubPages on chrome.

Closed to reply

working