Alexa Trivia

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (28 posts)
  1. Suzanne Day profile image94
    Suzanne Dayposted 10 years ago

Just checked out my Hubpages url on Alexa and it turns out that there's so many people from India visiting that my country rank is now based in India, instead of in Australia. Has anyone had a similar experience?

I thought that the country you come from, with the language you use is meant to be where your website ranks for....but apparently I've moved to India and am writing Indian, though I do not know it wink

PS - I am doing my monthly check on duplicated content.....so far, not much excitement, so I'm confident at present that they are visitors and readers, not scrapers.

1. kenneth avery profile image79
      kenneth averyposted 10 years agoin reply to this

You just be careful on your virtual journey, Suzanne. We love you on HP and delight in your hubs. Your friend and follower, Kenneth

Suzanne Dayposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Thanks Kenneth! There's a lot of great Indian writers on here. Alexa really only tells you what traffic you have from people who have the Alexa toolbar installed. I think what I can conclude from above is that Indian people must like using the Alexa toolbar.

1. kenneth avery profile image79
          kenneth averyposted 10 years agoin reply to this

@ Suzanne,
          the Alexa toolbar is just coming into its own I am assuming.

It's been around for a very long time.....I think more people are discovering it though.

2. tsmog profile image84
      tsmogposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I have made it habit to check Google Analytics for where my hubs are read on a monthly basis. You can delineate to cities. I discovered the bulk is read within a 50 mile radius of where I live for the US. I am about 60% US, 30% Europe, and the rest elsewhere and mixed.

Again of that 60% US probably 70% or more are close to home. I don't know how to use SEO to build on those strengths yet. I am thinking of such like restaurant reviews maybe. Who knows a free pizza or somethun' if it is liked and such. Also the sites and local history may help gain within that strength of readership. I just haven't looked hard enough yet how to capitalize on it.

I know I get a lot of HP readers from Europe being on HP and FB in the wee hours of the morning mostly and friends of course. But, as readership is there and mostly UK, Sweden, and the Mediterranean I am not sure how to approach that either.

[a little later] I just peaked at Alexa. I will be exploring today or tomorrow. Thank you so much for that lead smile

Thanks for your tip too, I haven't drilled down to cities in Analytics yet, so will have to check it out, especially if free pizzas might be needed where I am! Alexa only reports the traffic of people using the Alexa toolbar, so it is not as accurate as Analytics. But it's interesting to see some of the info on there.

1. tsmog profile image84
          tsmogposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I am by far not an expert with Google Analytics and really an average hubber at best. I have been here 3 years but I had a hiatus of about a year until Feb this year. In the past I learned enough at Google Analytics to discover simple things or me like where the articles were read and which ones.

I learned the ones read in Europe were not the same as those read in my neighborhood. That lead me back then to write articles for markets based on hub groupings (niches or subjects) rather than hunting with singular articles. My performance was much more above average then.

I started over in Feb with a clean slate and am approaching a little slower this time with life change events more important. Not necessarily a best advice approach. I wish I were writing many more hubs than I am smile Plus I have to develop new readership and audiences. smile Also, I really am illiterate as far as SEO goes sad . . . but that will be next years goal of learning and this years secondary goal. smile

Hi tsmog, join the club, I had a 2.5 year hiatus and have been back for 6 months. I agree that niches are great, but based upon traffic you can view how the niche is being read in the main country the traffic is from and this can help tailor it even more to readers (especially if you aim to make it an attempted viral hub). Good luck with your goals!!!

2. akhildev143 profile image75
    akhildev143posted 10 years ago

Well... I get the most visitors from US and India is 2nd... How do you check for duplicity? Do we have to copy each hub to a plagiarism checking site or is there any other method for bulk checking?

I check by:

a) pasting url into Copyscape
      b) checking heading in " " in Google
      c) checking snippets of text in " " in Google

Google has been very helpful removing a lot of things for me from search results. I keep a spreadsheet and check it has all been done. Marisa once told me the most effective way is reporting them to Adsense where possible, because then whipping up another website will have no effect on earnings for them.

Seems to be a lot of new Netherland activity this month....

3. BigBlue54 profile image61
    BigBlue54posted 10 years ago

I am now wondering about cities in the UK. Both Birmingham and Bradford have large Indian and Pakistani populations. Both vie with each other for the Curry Capital of the World. So may be they rank in these respective countries.

India's official languages is a variation of Sanskrit, which is rarely spoken, but English is the unofficial national language of India. So if they do find you at least they can read you hubs.

Thanks BigBlue, I didn't know that, so it is great that English is very common in India!

1. BigBlue54 profile image61
        BigBlue54posted 10 years agoin reply to this

Many countries do, either as first or second language.

It is the language of business. One of my daughters used to work for a French based multinational company so decided to learn French. In the end she did not bother because everyone else spoke English.

I understand that about Asia, having had many business dealings there, but it's good to hear about the rest of the world too. Come to think of it, when I went to Malaysia, a lot of people spoke English there....

I understand it has even reached as far as Australia. big_smile

My daughter was at a meeting in France and one of her French colleagues stood up to talk and said that because he did not feel comfortable speaking in English as it was not up to the required standards so he would speak in French. He was told he could not do that and had to speak in English.

LOL, well apparently us Aussies like to wrangle English for other people, though we can't hear that at all......to me personally, New Zealanders are wranglers wink

Someone pointed out that the Aussie accent comes from squinting in the sunshine. big_smile

The worst thing we did with Australia was to teach you lot cricket. Something we now deeply regret sad

I'm not a cricket fan, so no offense taken. I think the Aussie accent, which we Aussies can't hear is probably due to beer, beer and more beer. Oh and maybe too much sun after all....

Actually the cricket reference was more to do with my country loosing out to yours as we were comprehensively beaten by Australia recently. sad

Not sure of the beer thing. If that was true then people in some parts of the UK would also have an Australian accent. Glasgow and Newcastle come to mind. smile Then again they are not known for excessive sunshine. Frost bite yes, but not sunshine.

4. Kathleen Odenthal profile image87
    Kathleen Odenthalposted 10 years ago

I also find that many of my readers are from India, I never checked my Alexa ranking, but I always wondered how they found my artices. The more the merrier in my mind!

Well there's a pretty populous country of them, so it could be wise to target more effectively, making sure our hubs are even more useful to these readers.

5. Kathleen Odenthal profile image87
    Kathleen Odenthalposted 10 years ago

Very good point Suzanne, I do have a lot of meditation hubs, but it would be a great idea to keep in mind my larger audience when writing.

Remember that Analytics is the one to follow though as Alexa traffic may only be a small part of your overall traffic.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)