jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (10 posts)

Google Images

1. lorrainedauphinee profile image61
    lorrainedauphineeposted 3 years ago

Can you use Google images for free? Some hubbers say yes, some say no.

1. Barbara Kay profile image86
      Barbara Kayposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Google does not own those images and you may even find some of your own there. Don't use them since most of them are covered by copyright laws.

Try Morgue Files or Wiki-commons instead. At Wikipedia and Wikimedia, you need to check which license they are covered by, but most are alright to use.   Flicker also has some you can use.

lorrainedauphineeposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Thanks.  Will do.

2. Nouveau Skeptic profile image72
      Nouveau Skepticposted 3 years ago in reply to this

No.

Google images are just "Googled images".  No different from Googled text.

If you want to search for images you can use I think Flikr and Foter are an easier way to do it.

2. Millionaire Tips profile image88
    Millionaire Tipsposted 3 years ago

Google compiles images from all over the web.  Some of these are available to use and some of them are not. It is important that you check each image to see if it is available for use. You can limit your search for images you can use - look for creative commons.  This hub in the Learning Center will give you details about proper attribution and sources for free images:
    http://hubpages.com/learningcenter/legal-image-use

Thanks.  How do you limit your search looking for creative commons?

1. Millionaire Tips profile image88
        Millionaire Tipsposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Select "advanced image search" on the main Google Images page. Check the ones that are labeled for reuse.  Also make sure that you can use them for commercial use.  I recommend  "labeled for commercial reuse with modification."

https://www.google.com/search?site=& … bs=sur:fmc

But still make sure the image can be used the way you want to.

3. The Examiner-1 profile image79
    The Examiner-1posted 3 years ago

Only if the Google images say so. I always check the terms and conditions, privacy, etc. , to find anything that says I cannot use it. If it all says that it is free to share/public use/, I may use it. First I check HP's FAQ and Learning Center to look for any non-use of that certain site.

1. Greekgeek profile image95
      Greekgeekposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Google Images does NOT have any right to those images and may or may not correctly guess whether they're available for reuse, so don't rely on Google images for permission. That's like relying on your friend Bubba to say, "Oh yeah, that bike doesn't belong to anyone; take it." Er. Are you sure about that, Bubba?

Instead, you have to check the actual website that posted the images. They own them. They posted the pictures as part of their content. So it's their choice whether you can take them or not. After all, if your hub came up in a random Google search, would you be happy about another website reposting your work and making money on it without asking your permission?

With Morguefile, Creative Commons, Stock Xchng, Wikimedia Commons, clker, public domain images on .gov sites, and all the other image sources available -- some of which require credit and a link, some of which don't -- it's not too difficult to find images you can use.

For what it's worth, if you Google "Free web graphics Greekgeek," I've got an annotated list of about 40 different websites and archives where you can find use-with-credit or public-domain photos and clip art.

Thank you for the valuable information.

working