What techniques do you use to analyze your hubs?

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (30 posts)
  1. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image85
    TIMETRAVELER2posted 9 years ago

I spend a lot of time analyzing my work here so that I know which topics are doing well, which need updating and which need to be deleted.  I use a number of techniques such as using the 30 day page view count rather than the "ever" views,doing searches for my topics to see what the competition is writing, etc.  What techniques do you use that you feel are helpful?

2. Mark Ewbie profile image81
    Mark Ewbieposted 9 years ago

I use the numbers - Analytics and so on.  30 day is good, 7 is ok and so on.  One of the most interesting I find is the real-time view.  Are people staying on a page for a while or do they flit in and f-flit off again?

In addition to stats I pretty much constantly revisit, tweak and generally despair.

TIMETRAVELER2posted 9 years agoin reply to this

Why do you say despair?  You are one of the most popular writers on this site!  I don't think any of us actually get where we want to go view wise here, but I do think that paying attention is important, don't you?

1. Mark Ewbie profile image81
        Mark Ewbieposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Ah pish and thanks smile - but I am talking about external views.  Getting those pesky search visitors.

I despair of my laziness, lack of application, useful knowledge, ability to find the keyword hook (and content) to make pages really work.

And I despair of my Google results which despite - in my opinion - having better content than 2013 or 12 or 11 - do not improve.  Quite the reverse.

Thanks anyway and sorry for sounding like a moaner.

Mark:  I have often felt the same way, but you just have to keep plugging away.

One thing that has really helped me, stupid as this may sound, is wording the title in a way that I think someone searching for information would word it.

I have a tendency, because I am a former teacher, to be very formal in my presentations, and that has created problems for me.  I'll change a title, wait to see how it does, and if nothing improves, I'll keep changing it until I either run out of ideas or improvement comes.  When I do this, though, I have to remember to also change the internal wording to match the new title!  Otherwise, the article doesn't make any sense!

1. missolive profile image61
            missoliveposted 9 years agoin reply to this

hi! smile
            Suggestion with wording changes - titles.

1. Check google analytics to see what keywords were used to find your hub. Make sure those words REAMIN in your title and/or summary.
            2. Remember, the hub summary is searchable (seo) and you can include secondary title variations there. Text box titles (and photo box) can also enhance your seo and support your original content.

3. janshares profile image94
    jansharesposted 9 years ago

Good question, a couple of things I find helpful. First with GA, I like to check pageviews-last 30 minutes under 'content, Real Time." Also under GA, I check pageviews under "Behavior" near the bottom. Twitter weekly reports, sent automatically via email, are great for telling me how many times my hub links were visited.

janshares:  I never understood the "behavior" thing.  I'll have to take a second look at that.  GA has always kind of been like reading Greek to me!

1. janshares profile image94
        jansharesposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Me too, TIMETRAVELER2. But I try to understand it as best I can. If I'm analyzing correctly, "Behavior" gives me more detailed info about each visitor's behavior on my pages. The views are much higher than if you look under "Audience" only, which is not a completely accurate measure of how much traffic/activity you're really getting. I hope I'm looking at it right and making sense. hmm
        Edit: Look at "Behavior>Overview"

4. FatFreddysCat profile image92
    FatFreddysCatposted 9 years ago

I don't really "analyze" much of anything. I do check my stats each day to see what my total views for the past 24 hours were, but that's about all.
    When it comes to each individual Hub, I just write 'em and throw'em out there. If the Internet gods like it and it takes off, fine. If not, then I write another one and try again.

It may not be the most effective method for Hubbing but it's less stressful.

Fat Freddy Cat   I used to do what you do but found that it did not do much good in terms of increasing my traffic.  I do not feel stressed when analyzing numbers, in fact, I find it interesting to see which articles do well and which do not and how changes affect views.

5. The Examiner-1 profile image59
    The Examiner-1posted 9 years ago

For one, I look at Analytics and try to figure out why some get more through views and less drop-offs while others are vice versa. I do not like the drop-offs. I go back to my stats page and compare. Then I see if I can edit the drop-offs to make them better.

6. WryLilt profile image89
    WryLiltposted 9 years ago

I ignore them.

If they don't get traffic for a year, I delete them.

WryLilt:

Please clarify for me what you consider "not getting traffic".  Does this mean zero traffic?  10 views per month or what?  I'd really like to know your personal parameters for this.  Thanks.

7. Philip Borrowman profile image66
    Philip Borrowmanposted 9 years ago

Question. I keep reading about Hubs and earning money (i am new) but everyone keeps saying different things. I am not new to SEO. I realize the importance of keyword research and the various factors of IF people click on the ads being displayed within your hub. So my question is this...

Can someone give me an average earning per hub?? Assuming you know a little about SEO and you can write to an OK standard (let's say around 80/90 score)

Is $1.50/$3 per hub a reasonable estimate per month?

Welcome, Philip. That's way too high of an estimate per hub, per month. Unless you sold something via eBay or Amazon from one hub which would be a one-time blessing. Most hubs on average make pennies per month in the first year, not dollars. Having many hubs is the key to getting that average $1.50 to $3.00 per day, not per hub. And even that takes a lot of work and a lot of promotion of a lot of quality hubs that searchers are looking for. Happy hubbing, all the best.

1. Philip Borrowman profile image66
        Philip Borrowmanposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Hey Janshares. Yep that is what I was afraid of. I will keep writing and fingers crossed.

I managed to get my second hub on page one of Google only 4 days after publishing so hopefully I can keep that up!

Keep up the good work! Keep writing, and writing, and writing. smile

2. DrMark1961 profile image95
          DrMark1961posted 9 years agoin reply to this

You do need to take any advice here with caution. You can make a lot more, but most of the people earning are not spending their time contributing to the forums. (Relache has a good hub on what you can expect from earnings. Go to her profile page and look up some of her hubs if you want to see how to earn here.)
          Since Wrylilt helps with the forums she seems to be an exception, but there are some Hubbers with millions of views in a few years that do not contribute. They are doing okay but are writing hubs and earning, not helping others. Patty Inglish has more than 10,000,000 views, so you should also look at some of her titles and hubs to see how things should be done correctly.

So can you make those kind of earnings? It is possible, but most of the people who contribute here do not earn much. Read as much as possible on SEO from writers like Writer Fox, and publish enough articles to attract attention from the search engines.
          Follow those suggestions from MissOlive on titles, and good luck!

Dr. Mark:

I think you make a very good point here, but I also think that some of the best writers on HP do take time to help others here.

Also, I think you know as well as I do that the real money is in the ads.

Someone with a small number of well read hubs that maximizes ad use can make a whole lot more than someone who writes tons of various articles that do not lend themselves to advertising products.

I also think that someone with a special knowledge of a subject, like yourself, can do very well if his subject area is a searchable one.

1. DrMark1961 profile image95

Hi timetraveler, I agree that some of the best writers do contribute regularly to the forums, but not the most successful. I was reading a hub about Ska music--the author had over 1,000,000 page views in less than one year. Successful authors like that might help those of us with less knowledge, but they usually are not here; they are busy writing.
              I agree with you that the money is in the ads, and those that gain a lot seem to have numerous Amazon and Ebay sales. My articles do not lend themselves to this type of promotion, so I earn less than some because of that.
              Your last point is a good one, but everyone has knowledge of something. A few nights ago I commented on a forum that someone posted asking about closing her account. She had not even reached payout yet as her hubs were not successful, but  looking at them I could see they were not like what you write about RVs; that is, they were not helpful. I suggested she write about things there in Chicago that people need and want to know, "How to reach downtown Chicago and avoid traffic", "Best shopping in Chicago", etc.
              There are still thousands of useful hubs that can be written!

Dr. Mark:

Did you mean to say here that my RV hubs are not helpful?  Really?

While they may not be helpful to people who do not RV, they are very helpful to those who do and are among my most successful articles.

Granted, they address a narrow niche audience.  Also many  of them lend themselves to advertising.

I doubt I'll ever hit one million views or make a ton of money here, but that was never my intent. If I can write what I know about and enjoy, help people and also make a few dollars...that's plenty for me.

I have tried writing about many other subjects, but few have had success, so, I guess I'll ride the RV wave until the horse dies!!

1. LongTimeMother profile image93
                  LongTimeMotherposted 9 years agoin reply to this

TT2, that's not how I read Dr Mark's comment.

"looking at them I could see they were not like what you write about RVs; that is, they were not helpful."

He actually said yours are helpful. smile

+1 Yup, he did. smile

2. DrMark1961 profile image95

Sorry for the misunderstanding. I did mean "helpful, like your RV hubs". I think that in being helpful to that niche audience you will gain an audience. Is it going to happen quickly? No idea. It does sound like a good horse to ride, though.

Dr. Mark:

No apology necessary. I apparently misread what you wrote as Janshares and Longtimemother pointed out.  However,you are correct in that my niche is a slow one to catch on.  It has taken more than two years for me to attain a monthly payout, which, thank goodness, is now happening. 

Frankly, I have been taken by surprise by the amount of money ads bring in...and am happy to see it!

Sorry for the misunderstanding.  I somehow missed the word "not" in your statement.

2. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image85

Janshares is spot on with her analysis.  One does not get rich writing here, but the learning, friends and satisfaction are worth more than money.

wink

2. Phyllis Doyle profile image93
          Phyllis Doyleposted 9 years agoin reply to this

big_smile   cool

8. profile image0
    mbuggiehposted 9 years ago

Yes---clearly persisting on Hubpages is about enjoying the process of writing and publishing in a public form---and getting feedback about it.

For me, it is also about the social interactions (good and bad; positive and negative) that result from posting what I write in a social media/social networking environment.

I am making no money, but having a most interesting experience.

Now all I need to do is learn to ignore my "hubber" and hub scores and/or ratings and I will enjoy the writing, feedback, and interactions even more.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)