Why am I in the top 6%?

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (24 posts)
  1. CatherineGiordano profile image78
    CatherineGiordanoposted 9 years ago

Today I got an email from HubPages congratulating me on completing my 10th hub and saying I was in the top 6% of all hubbers who had reached the 10-hub level.   I don't understand what this means. Does it refer to my hubber score which ranges from 83% to 87%? Does it refer to my average hub score which is usually at 73? Are these scores actually good scores? It seems to me that it is a grade of "C".

1. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image85
      TIMETRAVELER2posted 9 years agoin reply to this

Why don't you email the team and ask them?

CatherineGiordanoposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I don't know how to email the team, but it looks like a team member responded here. I think she is saying, only 6% of people who sign up reach the point of having 10 featured hubs, so it is a compliment for not quitting and reaching at least minimum standards.

I am actually quite proud of the work I have done even if I feel my scores are disappointing. I aim to do better than "reaching minimum standards."

2. Christy Kirwan profile image89
      Christy Kirwanposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Hi Catherine,

As psycheskinner mentioned, many new Hubbers do not make it to the 10-Hub milestone (which is what your email is referring to), so you are already doing great! Congrats on your achievement. Keep writing! smile

3. OldRoses profile image93
      OldRosesposted 9 years agoin reply to this

First of all, congratulations on 10 featured hubs!  What they are telling you is that only 6% of the people writing on Hub Pages have 10 or more hubs that are featured.  Having a featured hub is quite an accomplishment.  Having all of your hubs featured is fantastic! 

This is from the Help Pages regarding featured hubs:

"They appear on HubPages' Topic Pages and others' Hubs
          They are presented to external search engines
          They are included in your public HubPages Profile"

So having a featured hub is a huge advantage.  Keep up the great work.

4. psycheskinner profile image83
      psycheskinnerposted 6 years agoin reply to this

It means that 94% of people who join Hubpages don't make 10 hubs.

2. Amy Naylor profile image81
    Amy Naylorposted 9 years ago

I have no idea but it can't be bad news! Congratulations all the same :-)

1. neobux3030 profile image59
      neobux3030posted 9 years agoin reply to this

Congratulations CatherineGiordano
      I Hope You will be first

3. psycheskinner profile image83
    psycheskinnerposted 9 years ago

About 90% of people who sign up write no hubs or only a few and then give up and become inactive/unfeatured

So all it means is that I haven't quit yet.  It says nothing about the quality of my writing.

So far I have stayed with it because I enjoy writing he articles.

If 1000's of people quit, HubPages may make only a few dollars from each of them, but it adds up.  The writers get nothing.

No, I just realized it is not because 95% drop out. The email said I am in the top 6% of everyone who did at least 10 hubs. Does that mean a lot of people stay in, but do really bad hubs?  Is a score of 70 actually a good score?  So far my hubs are all featured.  I'm just trying to figure out if I am successful or not, and also what is being measured to come up with the percentile.

1. SpaceShanty profile image93
          SpaceShantyposted 9 years agoin reply to this

It means for every 100 people who sign up to Hubpages, only 6 of them create 10 or more Hubs.  You are one of those 6 people.

Don't get to hung up on Hub/Hubber scores.  Too many people spend too  much time worrying about the scores, time which could be used to research, write and promote Hubs which will, in time improve those scores.

2. fpherj48 profile image60
        fpherj48posted 9 years agoin reply to this

Hi Catherine.....Take the pat on the back, the applause and/or the compliments where ever, whenever and from Whomever they come!!   That's my motto!  LOL.....From the start it was easy to see that you are a wonderful addition to HP and will go on to big things!

I'm glad you asked the question because a lot of us wouldn't have known the answer.  Now, we do.  Looks to me like in this day and time.....it's a bit like everyone jumping for joy that a couple has made it to 10 months of marriage!!   (just kidding......maybe)

I wish you continued success........Peace, Pala

Thank you for your compliments. It is cheering and appreciated.

3. CatherineGiordano profile image78

This is the exact message. "You have accomplished quite a feat; you have published ten Featured Hubs! And guess what? You are in the top 6% of Hubbers who achieved this milestone. Nice work!" 

Maybe it means they are comparing me to all hubbers at this same point in time-the day they reached 10 featured hubs.  Not to all hubbers including those who went on to write 100's of hubs.

I realize this is a compliment of some kind.  I'm just trying to figure out what I am being complimented for. 

Perhaps, as some have suggested, I should just take the compliment and be happy or it.  I am happy for it. I just wish I understood what I did to earn it.  I guess it will just be another HubPages mystery

1. fpherj48 profile image60
          fpherj48posted 9 years agoin reply to this

This is simply the first of many many questions to come that you will have as you progress.   There are a lot of things to be curious about.  I was overwhelmed when I first joined.  I had a great helper who was incredibly supportive....."Sunshine 625" aka Linda...if you haven't already met her, you will.  I've had advice and answers from numerous fellow writers.  Most all hubbers are ready & willing to offer assistance and answer questions if they know the answers.   Don't ever hesitate to ask.

One really smart thing to do is to spend some time each day reading the information in the Learning Center and you'll find hundreds of instructional hubs written by some of our seasoned and knowledgeable writers.  Also, search the Q&A's for questions that have been asked in the past which will have any number of responses.  You will eventually become an expert.

In any case Catherine, relax and enjoy yourself.  Read, write, search, comment,learn and share.  I promise you will be very glad you joined HP.  Don't worry and don't ever get discouraged.  (I sound like a "Mother")....sorry.  Just always happy to welcome a new talent!  Peace, Paula

Thank you for our support.  I actually started this post because I was feeling a little down and I was hoping for some encouragement.  Sometimes you just need some to say, "Don't worry, be happy."

4. psycheskinner profile image83
        psycheskinnerposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Not having quit yet is actually pretty rare, as is really wanting to write well.

4. xmags profile image81
    xmagsposted 9 years ago

I got a similar email for when i published my 25th featured hub recently, only it said i'm in the top 3%. I didn't mind it too much but now I'm curious as well. I guess it's really how a lot of people just quit early, no? Congratulations on your achievement though and keep on writing! Cheers!

Congrats on 25 hubs. Maybe your 3% and my 6% means that 50% quit between 10 and 25.

1. xmags profile image81
        xmagsposted 9 years agoin reply to this

That's probably it. smile Again, good job!

5. incomeguru profile image96
    incomeguruposted 9 years ago

Congratulations! Just keep on publishing new hubs to improve on this percentage.

6. Jan Saints profile image88
    Jan Saintsposted 6 years ago

Thought I was reading a 3-hour old thread! mad

1. sarahspradlin profile image90
      sarahspradlinposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Sorry that's my fault for starting it back up! I was searching for something and her thread came up so I replied.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)