jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (24 posts)

Why am I in the top 6%?

1. CatherineGiordano profile image99
    CatherineGiordanoposted 3 years ago

Today I got an email from HubPages congratulating me on completing my 10th hub and saying I was in the top 6% of all hubbers who had reached the 10-hub level.   I don't understand what this means. Does it refer to my hubber score which ranges from 83% to 87%? Does it refer to my average hub score which is usually at 73? Are these scores actually good scores? It seems to me that it is a grade of "C".

1. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image100
      TIMETRAVELER2posted 3 years agoin reply to this

Why don't you email the team and ask them?

CatherineGiordanoposted 3 years agoin reply to this

I don't know how to email the team, but it looks like a team member responded here. I think she is saying, only 6% of people who sign up reach the point of having 10 featured hubs, so it is a compliment for not quitting and reaching at least minimum standards.

I am actually quite proud of the work I have done even if I feel my scores are disappointing. I aim to do better than "reaching minimum standards."

2. Christy Kirwan profile image
      Christy Kirwanposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Hi Catherine,

As psycheskinner mentioned, many new Hubbers do not make it to the 10-Hub milestone (which is what your email is referring to), so you are already doing great! Congrats on your achievement. Keep writing! smile

3. OldRoses profile image95
      OldRosesposted 3 years agoin reply to this

First of all, congratulations on 10 featured hubs!  What they are telling you is that only 6% of the people writing on Hub Pages have 10 or more hubs that are featured.  Having a featured hub is quite an accomplishment.  Having all of your hubs featured is fantastic! 

This is from the Help Pages regarding featured hubs:

"They appear on HubPages' Topic Pages and others' Hubs
          They are presented to external search engines
          They are included in your public HubPages Profile"

So having a featured hub is a huge advantage.  Keep up the great work.

4. psycheskinner profile image83
      psycheskinnerposted 4 weeks agoin reply to this

It means that 94% of people who join Hubpages don't make 10 hubs.

2. Amy Naylor profile image81
    Amy Naylorposted 3 years ago

I have no idea but it can't be bad news! Congratulations all the same :-)

1. neobux3030 profile image61
      neobux3030posted 3 years agoin reply to this

Congratulations CatherineGiordano
      I Hope You will be first

3. psycheskinner profile image83
    psycheskinnerposted 3 years ago

About 90% of people who sign up write no hubs or only a few and then give up and become inactive/unfeatured

So all it means is that I haven't quit yet.  It says nothing about the quality of my writing.

So far I have stayed with it because I enjoy writing he articles.

If 1000's of people quit, HubPages may make only a few dollars from each of them, but it adds up.  The writers get nothing.

No, I just realized it is not because 95% drop out. The email said I am in the top 6% of everyone who did at least 10 hubs. Does that mean a lot of people stay in, but do really bad hubs?  Is a score of 70 actually a good score?  So far my hubs are all featured.  I'm just trying to figure out if I am successful or not, and also what is being measured to come up with the percentile.

1. SpaceShanty profile image97
          SpaceShantyposted 3 years agoin reply to this

It means for every 100 people who sign up to Hubpages, only 6 of them create 10 or more Hubs.  You are one of those 6 people.

Don't get to hung up on Hub/Hubber scores.  Too many people spend too  much time worrying about the scores, time which could be used to research, write and promote Hubs which will, in time improve those scores.

2. fpherj48 profile image73
        fpherj48posted 3 years agoin reply to this

Hi Catherine.....Take the pat on the back, the applause and/or the compliments where ever, whenever and from Whomever they come!!   That's my motto!  LOL.....From the start it was easy to see that you are a wonderful addition to HP and will go on to big things!

I'm glad you asked the question because a lot of us wouldn't have known the answer.  Now, we do.  Looks to me like in this day and time.....it's a bit like everyone jumping for joy that a couple has made it to 10 months of marriage!!   (just kidding......maybe)

I wish you continued success........Peace, Pala

Thank you for your compliments. It is cheering and appreciated.

3. CatherineGiordano profile image99

This is the exact message. "You have accomplished quite a feat; you have published ten Featured Hubs! And guess what? You are in the top 6% of Hubbers who achieved this milestone. Nice work!" 

Maybe it means they are comparing me to all hubbers at this same point in time-the day they reached 10 featured hubs.  Not to all hubbers including those who went on to write 100's of hubs.

I realize this is a compliment of some kind.  I'm just trying to figure out what I am being complimented for. 

Perhaps, as some have suggested, I should just take the compliment and be happy or it.  I am happy for it. I just wish I understood what I did to earn it.  I guess it will just be another HubPages mystery

1. fpherj48 profile image73
          fpherj48posted 3 years agoin reply to this

This is simply the first of many many questions to come that you will have as you progress.   There are a lot of things to be curious about.  I was overwhelmed when I first joined.  I had a great helper who was incredibly supportive....."Sunshine 625" aka Linda...if you haven't already met her, you will.  I've had advice and answers from numerous fellow writers.  Most all hubbers are ready & willing to offer assistance and answer questions if they know the answers.   Don't ever hesitate to ask.

One really smart thing to do is to spend some time each day reading the information in the Learning Center and you'll find hundreds of instructional hubs written by some of our seasoned and knowledgeable writers.  Also, search the Q&A's for questions that have been asked in the past which will have any number of responses.  You will eventually become an expert.

In any case Catherine, relax and enjoy yourself.  Read, write, search, comment,learn and share.  I promise you will be very glad you joined HP.  Don't worry and don't ever get discouraged.  (I sound like a "Mother")....sorry.  Just always happy to welcome a new talent!  Peace, Paula

Thank you for our support.  I actually started this post because I was feeling a little down and I was hoping for some encouragement.  Sometimes you just need some to say, "Don't worry, be happy."

4. psycheskinner profile image83
        psycheskinnerposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Not having quit yet is actually pretty rare, as is really wanting to write well.

4. xmags profile image91
    xmagsposted 3 years ago

I got a similar email for when i published my 25th featured hub recently, only it said i'm in the top 3%. I didn't mind it too much but now I'm curious as well. I guess it's really how a lot of people just quit early, no? Congratulations on your achievement though and keep on writing! Cheers!

Congrats on 25 hubs. Maybe your 3% and my 6% means that 50% quit between 10 and 25.

1. xmags profile image91
        xmagsposted 3 years agoin reply to this

That's probably it. smile Again, good job!

5. incomeguru profile image94
    incomeguruposted 3 years ago

Congratulations! Just keep on publishing new hubs to improve on this percentage.

6. Jan Saints profile image87
    Jan Saintsposted 4 weeks ago

Thought I was reading a 3-hour old thread! mad

1. sarahspradlin profile image90
      sarahspradlinposted 4 weeks agoin reply to this

Sorry that's my fault for starting it back up! I was searching for something and her thread came up so I replied.

working