jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (14 posts)

Poems

1. Harmel profile image79
    Harmelposted 3 years ago

I wrote a poem, but also put other things in it, such as a regular hub, video etc. I notice other poems are just wrote without the capsules. I am not sure which to do? I am still very new at this, and have a similar poem. should I put it under poems or something else if I add capsules ? All help appreciated. Thank you !!

1. EricDockett profile image93
      EricDockettposted 3 years agoin reply to this

In my opinion, if you write a poem it makes the most sense to put it under Poems and Poetry, regardless of what else you add. Whenever I see people put poems into other categories, such putting a poem about birds under Birds and Bird Watching, I find it a little confusing when I first start reading. I think visitors who follow through under the Related Hubs section would find it even more so. People are expecting informational articles in these categories.

Also remember that creative writing is evaluated differently in the quality control process, so making sure you put your writing in the correct category might help eliminate any confusion.

I glanced at your poem and I think it looks very good with the additional capsules and video. I don't generally care about poetry, but it seems to me if someone were to write a poem here they ought to make it as visually appealing as possible. Nice job!

Harmelposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Thank you so much for your input.  Do you think I should leave it in the category it is in as is? I am thankful for all advice.

I see you have it Books and Writing but personally I'd also make sure it was in Poems and Poetry. It's a subcategory of Books and Writing. It's a quick edit: Just go to the top of your Hub in edit mode and click (CLICK TO EDIT) under the topic and you'll be able to reorganize it.

Thank you very much I just did it. Also it has the web link wrong, I had started a different one about being young, and changed it. Anything I can do about that or just leave it alone? I am so thankful for all the help!!

You can't change the url (web link). You'd have to remove and republish the Hub. I wouldn't bother. It'd be a big pain without much of an upside.

2. janshares profile image90
    jansharesposted 3 years ago

I was very confused about this when I started, Harmel, and couldn't figure out what was best. I, too, add other text capsules, polls, videos, etc to my poem hubs. Most of them are under poetry but some are under other categories if the poem serves to enhance the main topic.

EricDockett's advice is very good to follow. I admit that I'm guilty of having a bird poem in the Bird Watching category because I thought it fit there better as the text capsules talk about bird watching at a particular resort. I think I had it under Poetry first then changed it to see if it worked better under a topic category.

A veteran hubber gave me pretty good advice in a forum about adding more text capsules if there is more to be said about the topic that is informative, and right-align the poem in a text box. This works well for an informational hub that will fit better in a topic category.
    Everyone does it differently based on what works best for them and for the hub.

Thank you for taking the time to answer me. Do you think I should leave it in this category or would it do better in a different category with the poem on the side? I am still confused I am trying lol. Also, which worked best for you ?

1. janshares profile image90
        jansharesposted 3 years agoin reply to this

If you have it under Poetry, I would say leave it, especially if your goal is to showcase your poetry to the HP community. If you decide to add more later as lovebuglena advises, you can always decide to change it to the category that best fits your additions or if you're targeting a particular audience outside of HP.

thank you!!

3. Shyron E Shenko profile image85
    Shyron E Shenkoposted 3 years ago

I put my poems in capsules. I like being able to add other things if I want.

Thank you very much for your input. I appreciate it!

4. lovebuglena profile image92
    lovebuglenaposted 3 years ago

If you want to share your poetry here you can have a hub with more than one poem in it if they are related in topic. When you do this have each poem in its own text capsule. In the capsule subtitle write the title of the poem and in the body write the poem itself. You can also have a separate hub for each poem if you want. Regardless of what you do, but especially if you want to do a separate hub for each poem, don't just include the poem and that's it. Add more content to it. You can talk about what led you to write the poem, what inspired you, how you went about writing it, what the poem means to you, etc. You can add a relevant video too. And if you are writing the poem in a specific style (ex: sonnet) you can even introduce that poetic style and even explain how to write a poem using that style. Hope this helps.

Very good advice. That is what I tried to do, but I wasn't sure. I love your name, love bugs is what me and my husband nicknamed ourselves.lol  Thank you again.

working