jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (7 posts)

Would this still count as Plagiarism?

1. taiwokareem profile image84
    taiwokareemposted 3 years ago

I viewed some post's on facebook and it has to do with my culture. I love the posts so much that I want to include it on hubpages and I fear it might be lost in generation to come. Supposing the person posting this gives me the full permission to use most of it as a hub and I also state and give its original source, would this still count as Plagiarism.

1. RachaelOhalloran profile image83
      RachaelOhalloranposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Yes and no.  It could be considered plagarism.
      Do you know for sure your friend actually wrote it? You have to be sure it is an original work.
      Do you know for sure they didn't pilfer it from some other site and just reword it to suit their needs for posting?
      You should to get signed permission to post it.
      And you don't have to do this, but it is safest to post a backlink to the original source.

A word to the wise:
      Just because it is new to you, doesn't mean it is actually new.
      Your friend can SAY they wrote it (original author), but hey, friends lie.

2. taiwokareem profile image84

i would say its not an original work because this post is actually proverbs shared from generations to generations by words of mouth. Fortunately for him, there are willing contributors that has given him a large collection of my tribe's proverbs and I love them so much

If these are time honored proverbs, that are in public domain (which it sounds like they are), go for it.
      Jazz the hub up with some appropriate photos, list sources of photos (in description box is best so the links are not counted against you).  There is a limit of 2 links from the same URL per hub. So if you get 2 pictures from the same site and put them the "Source URL" box, you have used up your 2 links.  Better to put the URLs in description box, then you have fulfilled the HP requirement for attribution and still are able to use the URL site for other photos.

The reason I'm saying this is because sometimes with photos, you hit on a great site that has 25 photos you want to use, and because of the 2 URL rule, you might feel you can't use more than 2.  By not posting the URLs as LIVE links (anything that shows up in blue is a LIVE link), you can use all 25 photos if you wanted to.

Good luck.

1. Barbara Kay profile image87
        Barbara Kayposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Rachel, I don't like correcting you, but it is only 2 links to a domain that we are allowed. We can link to as many domains as we want, but only 2 per each.

Barbara Kay,
          If you didn't correct me, I wouldn't know it was wrong. Thank you.
          Duly noted, and edited the comment to show the correct change.
          smile

3. taiwokareem profile image84

thank you Rachael and Barbara

working