What's the difference between promotional links and affiliate links?

Jump to Last Post 1-3 of 3 discussions (45 posts)
  1. favored profile image62
    favoredposted 9 years ago

Since I don't have an affiliate to Amazon or adsense why does the violation list that I have too many of these?  What is the difference between the two?

I thought that you could have one amazon link per 50 words.  Some of my pages have over 1,000 words and only 4 amazon links, and it's still saying I have too many.  What should I do?

1. profile image0
      calculus-geometryposted 9 years agoin reply to this

HP's policy is 50 words per Amazon capsule.  If you are using in-line Amazon text links, you can have only two per hub, regardless of the hub's length.

favoredposted 9 years agoin reply to this

What does in-line Amazon links mean?

1. psycheskinner profile image83
          psycheskinnerposted 9 years agoin reply to this

It means a link in a text or link capsule, versus one in an Amazon capsule.

2. profile image0

a link in the text like this

3. CuAllaidh profile image81
          CuAllaidhposted 9 years agoin reply to this

inline means text links, or any other type of link other than the Amazon Capsule. The capsules are the only type of link that you can use more than two of.

So I shouldn't use links to products in a text capsule but the amazon one itself correct?  The photos that were links don't work. These should now be capsule links as well right?

1. Writer Fox profile image31
              Writer Foxposted 9 years agoin reply to this

You can do it either way.  To link in a text capsule, though, you must use your own affiliate account ID with Amazon and you are limited to two text links like this per Hur.

HP does not support HTML to link photos.  You can, however, put the link in the space provided in the photo capsule 'Source URL', limited to two links to the same website per Hub, with very few exceptions.

Got it. I don't have an affiliate with Amazon so that won't matter. Thank you Writer Fox.

2. Writer Fox profile image31

This can also mean that you have too many links to the same website.  The rule there is no more than two links to the same website and this includes links in the photo capsules. HP will not allow any links to some sites, like Clickbank for example.

Excluded from the above are links to other Hubs, Wikipedia, Flickr and a very few others.

So when Squidoo permitted us to use the Amazon module that had 5 products, we have to separate them throughout the page?  For example my 10 Meatless Sandwich Hub has products that are bunched together, but every one of them is directly related to the article.  If I broke them up would that be acceptable? Plus I noticed there are links in each recipe that shouldn't be there but were in the table of contents, which is not here.  How did that happen?

1. Writer Fox profile image31

You may use all five of those products in Amazon capsules, provided that:
          1) Your Hub has at least 50 words of text for each product (250 words for five products), and those 50 words don't have to be describing the products;
          2) The products you use are directly relevant to the content of your Hub;
          3) Your Hub provides useful information and is not just trying to sell products;
          4) Your products are not grouped together, but spread out in the Hub.

Sounds like an import issue during the transfer.  HP doesn't have a TOC capsule.  However, you can make a TOC for your Hubs by following these instructions:
          http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/113669#post2419013

If you have links in text and you don't want the links there, edit the capsule and click on the unlink icon in the top menu - third from the right.

I was wondering what that link thing was for. Yes this is because of the missing modules, photos, etc. Can't find where some of it fits so there's a lot of recreating stuff.

2. favored profile image62

An affiliate link would be like linking to Bradford Exchange and I can only have two per Hub?  Is that correct Writer Fox?

1. psycheskinner profile image83
          psycheskinnerposted 9 years agoin reply to this

In terms of how many links you can have, it does not matter if they are affiliate links or not.

That said an affiliate link is any link that identifies you as a referrer and makes you money.

Thank you, I appreciate your answering.

1. jodijoyous profile image60
              jodijoyousposted 9 years agoin reply to this

More than two Amazon capsules (modules at Squidoo) in a row will get flagged.  You can break them up with text boxes,  or videos, or photos, or use a text box (capsule), and then an Amazon box (capsule).

The photo links will work if you put them in a photo capsule.  Just make sure you tag any affiliate links (where you make money).  There's a check box for this in the capsule.

However, you can only have two links to the same site per hub (excepting wikipedia and flickr and similar). These links can be photo links or links in your text.

Another option, if you still have lots of questions, is to visit the squidu forum on yuku (not sure if I can link here, but a Google search should find it).  There are lots of people there helping each other, including people with experience on both platforms.

Never heard of it, but I am grateful. People seem to be getting angry at us and that is not our intent.  We want to comply with the rules as quickly as possible.  We are under a time restraint so we're making mistakes due to lack of understanding.  Thank you for your patience and help. I appreciate it.  (If you do have the link you can email it to me.)

1. profile image0

Sorry if you interpreted my posting of links to the learning center and Marisa's hub as angry responses.  Honestly I though they would help you more than going back and forth on this forum.

I appreciate it calculus-geometry. I've been on all those several times in fact and reading them through, but honestly I have a problem with terms of the Internet. Anyone who knows me from any other platforms knows that I cried my way through the first months with such frustration. Once I get it though I'm good as gold, so Hubbers there is a light at the end of the path with these questions.

2. jodijoyous profile image60

email sent

Thank you.

This is incorrect information.  There is no option for tagging affiliate links in the photo capsule –  which, by the way, violates Google's Webmaster Guidelines and this has been pointed out to HP management on many occasions.

1. jodijoyous profile image60

I meant in the text capsule, not the photo capsule.

Also, do you have documentation for your second statement? I just looked at Google's guidelines, and didn't see anything. Perhaps I have missed something?

Or do you mean making those links no follow?

In fact, come to think of it, Amazon itself provides affiliates with image-only links to use, as do other affiliate programs, so I'm puzzled as to how they could be forbidden.

I'm not even attempting to put any in the photos. I can't even get them to take text. Had to delete entire capsules and start over with photos.  I've been three hours fixing one hub.

jodijoyous you can laugh, but don't get upset. I don't have a clue what you mean by no follow. I just add the link to the product or site for an item.  Whatever else it does it's on it's own with no help from me.  I am quite sure you aren't the one to have missed something. smile

There is no place in the photo capsule to choose to NoFollow a link.

Links for affiliates, advertorials and advertising are required to be NoFollow, according to Google Webmaster Guidelines:

http://goo.gl/J3Ms3q
                    http://goo.gl/8VDLvl
                    http://goo.gl/LMtl5J
                    http://goo.gl/oVv3LI

The way the term is used on HP, that is correct.  However, even links to websites which are not true affiliates are limited to two links to the same website per Hub.  For example, if you link to information on a blog, you may only link to that blog twice in the same Hub, with very few exceptions.

3. Paula Atwell profile image68
      Paula Atwellposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Favored, it sounds like you have several issues going on here. If you go to the Squidoo community section of this forum, some of your questions have been asked by others and are being answered there.

Without seeing the exact article/hub you are talking about it is hard to say what is wrong. The bottom line is that you can only have two links to the same domain, any kind of domain in the text part of a hub. You can have more than two to Amazon if you put them in the Amazon capsule, but the capsules here only allow one product per capsule. There are no multiple item capsule (like we had on Squidoo) on Hubpages.

So yes, you can have one Amazon capsule per every 50 words at minimum. As you try to correct your hubs, the yellow highlighted box in the top right of the edit page is the most important to get rid of for your hub to be okay. Later you can fix the order of the capsules if you want to make the style better.

HP does not allow HTML picture links.

Hope that helps.

2. profile image0
    calculus-geometryposted 9 years ago

The short answer to your questions is that HubPages is not Squidoo.  I think it will be more efficient for everyone here if you read how HubPages works in the Learning Center.

http://hubpages.com/learningcenter/contents

I understand that this is not Squidoo and an not trying to be disrespectful, but trying to correct my articles.  I'm sure if it were the other way around people would understand what a difficult time this is in making a home for our work.  The terms are not the same so I have to learn what they are. As for the links I have been reading every one that is posted, but that doesn't mean I understand them all.  Hopefully we'll be able to learn quickly and won't be bothering others with our questions. Sorry for the inconvenience.

2. profile image0
      Jason Sositkoposted 9 years agoin reply to this

What could possibly be the point in being so condescending? Most people coming from Squidoo are trying their best to conform to what many of us already believed, was a better, more pro-active site in HubPages.

3. profile image0
    calculus-geometryposted 9 years ago

Marisa Wright wrote a hub with the basics for new HP users.  It covers your questions about links and is like a condensed version of the learning center.

http://marisawright.hubpages.com/hub/Ho … ed-to-Know

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)