Update to Product Guidelines

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (39 posts)
  1. Angel Jennings profile imageSTAFF
    Angel Jenningsposted 8 months ago

Hello Hubbers!

I’m reaching out to inform you of an update to our product guidelines. Previously, we had indicated a preference for in-text product links over Amazon Capsules, but we are updating our preferences to Amazon Capsules over in-text product links.

Here is the new language we will be including in our HubPages Writing Style Guide:

We prefer Amazon Capsules to in-text product links because they capture the reader’s attention and feature a call-to-action “buy now” button. By housing product information within capsules, we provide better context for readers, and the product images included in Amazon Capsules entice readers to click.

In-text product links often blend in with the surrounding text, making it challenging for readers to differentiate between informational links and affiliate product links.

You must include detailed product descriptions beyond what can be found on Amazon, along with your personal experience with the product, as readers value authenticity and personal insight when selecting products to purchase.

Please avoid stacking Amazon Capsules, as this can appear spammy and disruptive to readers. There should be useful, insightful text interspersed between product capsules.

Why is HubPages making this change?

Previously, Amazon product links were clearly differentiated from informational hyperlinks with a small “a” that appeared at the beginning of the link. Unfortunately, this symbol does not translate in the data sync from the article you write in the HubTool to the live version of the article.

The Amazon Capsule has a call-to-action button and is clearly labeled as a product, which improves reader experience, so while we previously considered in-text product links to appear elegant and less spammy, we are now more accepting of Amazon Capsules and, in fact, encourage the use of them.

Do I need to update my articles to move in-text product links into Amazon Capsules?

You do not need to make any changes to existing articles, but you can if you wish to do so.

Our other guidelines for how and when products should be used remain the same. Please remember to include your personal experience and a detailed description of the product beyond what can be found on Amazon.

If you have questions or concerns, please reach out to editors@hubpages.com. Thank you!

Angel

1. bravewarrior profile image87
      bravewarriorposted 8 months agoin reply to this

This is good news. Any persuasive article should have a clear CTA.

2. Kenna McHugh profile image92
      Kenna McHughposted 8 months agoin reply to this

I hope this proves fruitful. Of late, I am apprehensive about changes at HP.

3. Miebakagh57 profile image69
      Miebakagh57posted 8 months agoin reply to this

Very informational. Thank you, Angel.

4. Thelma Alberts profile image90
      Thelma Albertsposted 8 months agoin reply to this

Thank you for the information.

5. Pollyanna Jones profile image97
      Pollyanna Jonesposted 8 months agoin reply to this

Hi Angel, can I ask for a bit of guidance please?

"We prefer Amazon Capsules to in-text product links because they capture the reader’s attention and feature a call-to-action “buy now” button. By housing product information within capsules, we provide better context for readers, and the product images included in Amazon Capsules entice readers to click."

Having read this forum post, in one of my pieces I wanted to include an Amazon Capsule for a DVD for a series that was famously filmed in location which I was writing about.

At first, I installed an Amazon Capsule and wrote the paragraph on this show within there - describing how it was filmed in this location, a review and synopsis, then inviting the reader to get a copy so they can enjoy the location of my article from the comfort of their home.

With a history of Amazon Capsules being snipped, I got twitchy, and instead inserted a Text Capsule and moved my description into there, and placed the Amazon Capsule beneath it, with a very brief description.

It certainly was a relevant product to my article, and I had posted something meaningful in regards to the product.

However, it got snipped.

What is the way around this? Should I have just kept my entire paragraph in the Amazon Capsule? I was fearful of losing my work if I did that and it still got snipped.

1. Angel Jennings profile imageSTAFF
        Angel Jenningsposted 8 months agoin reply to this

Hi Pollyanna!

Please email editors@hubpages.com and include a link to your article; we will look and get back to you.

Take care,
        Angel

1. Pollyanna Jones profile image97
          Pollyanna Jonesposted 8 months agoin reply to this

Thank you, I'll do that! I'd just love to understand this all properly and ensure I'm using it all correctly

2. paolaenergya profile image93
    paolaenergyaposted 8 months ago

That's very useful, thank you Angel.

3. Jodah profile image92
    Jodahposted 8 months ago

This is welcome news. Thank you for sharing the change of policy, Angel.

4. Glenn Stok profile image96
    Glenn Stokposted 8 months ago

Angel, Unfortunately, we still have the problem I reported years ago about the Amazon capsules being blocked by most ad blockers. The Amazon text links never get blocked.

Therefore, I prefer using text links so all readers can click to Amazon if they choose to, whereas the capsule would be unavailable when an ad blocker is used.

In addition, the content we include in the capsule will also be hidden by ad blockers, and  that missing text could make the remaining content confusing.

A solution for readers to recognize a text link as a product link
    is to include the words "affiliate link" in the anchor text.

1. eugbug profile image96
      eugbugposted 8 months agoin reply to this

I always mention the word Amazon in any hyperlinked text and indicate that the product mentioned is available on their website. I'm trying to remember why Amazon capsules were previously discouraged. Was it something to do with them being spammy?

1. theraggededge profile image97
        theraggededgeposted 8 months agoin reply to this

As Glen said... ad-blockers.

2. theraggededge profile image97
      theraggededgeposted 8 months agoin reply to this

Exactly. This is the reason why we were told not to use capsules.

Perhaps we could use both? Seeing as we have to include extensive product details, a small in-line text link won't be too obtrusive.

1. Glenn Stok profile image96
        Glenn Stokposted 8 months agoin reply to this

I did that to get around the problem with the capsules being blocked, but one of the editors said it was spammy putting the text link right next to the capsule.

So I had to arrange my content so that the text link was not immediately after or before the Amazon capsule.

The only other requirement is that you need to abide by the other rules too. I think that was at least 100 words for each Amazon capsule or link. But I always have much more that that anyway.

1. greenmind profile image95
          greenmindposted 8 months agoin reply to this

300, I believe.

5. EricDockett profile image97
    EricDockettposted 8 months ago

This is fantastic news and I have been arguing for this change for years.  For too long, writers with the skill and knowledge to convert sales have been handicapped by HPs draconian policies as we watched our competitors steamroll us in the SERPs.

Can you please make this a sticky so more people are aware? And—I ask even though I shouldn't have to—are all editors on board and on the same page with this?

For those who weren't here or don't remember, both writers and staff:

Years ago, when HP implemented the Buy Now button, click-throughs (and therefore sales) increased considerably. I don't remember the number, but I think it was something like threefold.

Sometime later, click-throughs fell off a cliff. It was quickly determined the reason was that the Buy Now button was not rendering correctly on the page. Readers weren't seeing it.

When the Buy Now button returned, clicks again shot up.

So, at least based on this anecdotal information, the product image with the Buy Now button is a significant driver when it comes to clicks, far superior in most cases to text links.

For me, the more I've used text links instead of capsules, the more my sales have dropped.

When HubPages insisted text links were better, I asked several times for data to back this up, which they would never provide.

It would be even better if HP were to improve the affiliate capsule so that the image pulled from the API is bigger and prettier.

While it is often said that affiliate capsules get blocked by ad blockers, despite using several ad blockers on desktop and mobile over the years, I have never, ever seen that happen. That's not to say it doesn't, just that I have never personally seen it, and if I haven't then I have to suspect many readers won't have that problem either.

Also on a personal note, there was a time not that long ago when one of my accounts earned around $100/ day in affiliate sales. There are a few reasons that doesn't happen anymore, but HPs war on affiliate capsules certainly played a role.

I am reading this as "the war is over" and I look forward to getting back to work and regaining some of the ground I've lost. I hope I am right about that.

As far as I remember,  Adblock Plus never blocked the capsules.

As I said, most ad blockers block Amazon capsules. The keyword is “most.” Not all. So it’s very possible Adblock Plus is one of those that does not block Amazon capsules. I didn’t test that one.

Sorry, "Adblock", not "Adlock"

2. viryabo profile image94
      viryaboposted 8 months agoin reply to this

+1

6. PaulGoodman67 profile image95
    PaulGoodman67posted 8 months ago

Hmm, interesting. As my Amazon sales are now so low as to be almost non-existent many cases, I will try changing some in-text links to capsules and see how it goes.

Paul, I had more success changing the Amazon capsules to text links so more people would see them. I get sales almost every day.

The trick with text links is to make it clear they bring the reader to Amazon. Otherwise they get lost in the content.

When the anchor text is done right it will help readers know what it is if they are interested in ordering.

1. PaulGoodman67 profile image95
        PaulGoodman67posted 8 months agoin reply to this

When I switched to in-text, it worked well for a while but nowadays, it's bad. Something happened with the algo updates over the past couple of years.

Reading between the lines, I wonder if part of the problem is that Google is now interpreting HP in-text Amazon links as deceptive and so in punishment mode. That's why views have sunk for me. Whatever's going on, there's definitely an SEO thing happening.

To get a lot of clicks, you really need to be in the top 5 search results and the higher the better.

I do get Amazon sales every day. But nowadays, I can only earn in a month what I used to get in a single day. I don't expect to go back to the glory days but right now is dreadful.

Understand, I'm not saying you're wrong, Glenn. However, I do think that the SEO element has to be also factored in. I have articles that got 50 to 100 daily views or more that now get 10 or less.

While most of my articles are suffering nowadays, Amazon hubs have been hit disproportionately badly.

They just won't get many sales without an improvement in ranking. You need views to have any chance.

I feel like I've tried everything else to improve rankings and HP do have a lot of data that they can analyze with stuff like this, so it's worth a go.

That's my thinking, anyway.

On an unrelated front, I can't get HP to load in Chrome or Edge. I've tried various things including deleting the cache. HP loads on my iphone and also Firefox on my laptop, which is what I'm having to use right now.

I agree with everything you said, Paul. It surely depends on ranking and views. But that's why I make it clear that the text links bring the reader to Amazon, as I mentioned. That makes Google's algorithm treat it well.

1. PaulGoodman67 profile image95
            PaulGoodman67posted 8 months agoin reply to this

I'm going to try the capsules and see what happens.

Amazon has been a major factor in HP's woes since way back to Panda. Every time they seem to find a fix, Google retaliates.

2. lobobrandon profile image88
          lobobrandonposted 8 months agoin reply to this

Been out of touch but I still read a bit about SEO here and there. I read a case study sometime last week where someone analyzed a bunch of rankings and found that terms where articles such as those on HP used to rank now are interpreted as buying keywords and info pages are ranked lower while merchant websites are ranked higher.

Regarding the capsule vs link story, a capsule is a link with added scripts. If Google is frowning upon the link they sure are going to frown about the capsule, more so even. But I think the amazon links are the least of our concerns. Hubs are filled with ads, that banner ad on the top and all the rest of the ads which resulted in ads being the face of the article instead of the article being the focal point.

Late night banter, came here after I saw the HP newsletter.

1. chef-de-jour profile image96
            chef-de-jourposted 8 months agoin reply to this

Yes, you've hit the nail on the head - too many ads and awful text layout - which Google sees as untrustworthy. The decline many have noted whilst disturbing is also frustrating because we have no chance of any feedback whatever from HP.

TAG in their wisdom decided that our articles need to attract a different sort of reader and fewer of them! I don't get it at all. Every little thing the HP editors do to try and improve the situation gets us all in a flap! False optimism rules. We need someone to offer a viable way out!

1. lobobrandon profile image88

They do not even want to attempt fewer ads for more traffic and possibly higher revenue.

1. EricDockett profile image97
                EricDockettposted 8 months agoin reply to this

I suspect they have the "tiger by the tail" at this point. They must know that their ad scheme is harmful to traffic and that reducing ads for a better user experience would improve the health of the sites, increase traffic, and lead to better earning opportunities.

Unfortunately, even though the outcome might be better than what we have now, the path from here to there would be rocky and earnings would drop in the short term.  Unlike the olden days, HP is now part of a publicly traded company, so that won't fly, especially when the outcome is uncertain.

So, we are locked in a perpetual downward death spiral.

I also suspect they have recovered a lot of the lost revenue with their "news" stories section. So, while we the writers are feeling the pinch, the company might be doing just fine and not care.

Obviously, I don't know what's going on behind the scenes. Just some guesses.

Good to see you around, BTW. This forum could use your voice again if you have the stomach for it.

1. lobobrandon profile image88

I plan on being back. Just got busy with the PhD and stuff. I will be done by September, but then I move to a new city for a job that begins in October, so maybe by November or early next year I will try and get back to this world big_smile

2. lobobrandon profile image88

Oh, I forgot to respond to the points you made. I agree and now that it is a publicly traded company things are most likely being looked at in quarterly intervals rather than a bit more long-term which SEO is all about.

3. Kenna McHugh profile image92

Eric, you seem to have a good insight. Have you tried sending HP emails on this matter? I mean, the dwindling spiral can only dwindle so long.

1. EricDockett profile image97
                    EricDockettposted 8 months agoin reply to this

I've had some discussions with HP staff. I'm not going to get into those in a public forum.

I believe our grievances are heard and understood.

2. Solaras profile image96
                Solarasposted 8 months agoin reply to this

Do they get paid for ads that do not display?  If there is just a long white space as I read my article, and my images and their ads are waiting for the fat lady to sing or something, are they making money on that?

Because if they don't get paid for ads that never display, they might want to consider reducing the load, so that they can get paid for ads that do display.

Last time I looked at one of my long articles, there was a video playing on the lower right, that was freezing my computer, and an ad at the bottom, one ad displayed early on, then nada for the rest of the article.

It was so peculiar looking that I scrolled back up to see if the ads had ever loaded, they were just starting to pop in after 10 minutes on the read. It seems like insanity, unless they can just lie and say, "Oh yeah, your ad was displayed 32 times in the same article. Pay up.".

It takes over a minute for ads to display on my phone which means they probably never display for most people. I think the problem is Hubpages have no control over the number of ads. I wish they'd tell us that so we don't have to keep moaning about them. Why can't they build an ad module so we can decide on the number of ads to add at design time?

1. Kenna McHugh profile image92

Eugene, you have great solutions. They're well thought out and helpful. If only HP would be more proactive!!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)