RESOLVED: Edited hubs do not reflect change date

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (22 posts)
  1. Ann Hinds profile image69
    Ann Hindsposted 9 years ago

As I plow through the lenses to become hubs, two of them I edited do not show the change date of the edit although the updates are visible. Since I am using the date to keep track of the edited lenses, I keep re-editing them but the original date never changes. Is this an issue on HubPages or a left over issue of the transfer? Am I doing something to prevent the date from changing? Thanks for any help.

1. Writer Fox profile image31
      Writer Foxposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Are you looking at the date on your accounts page?  That date will always show the date you published it and the date it was last changed.

On your Profile page, the date under a Hub's title is the date it was last edited.  Are you saving the page when you edit?

2. Ann Hinds profile image69

If you mean by save "done editing", then yes. I just tried it again but the change date remains the same. I even refreshed the page to see if that would help. I have done that several times without success. The rest of those edited have reflected the change date.

1. colorfulone profile image78
      colorfuloneposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Sounds like a hiccup in the system.

2. Marina Lazarevic profile image76
      Marina Lazarevicposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I suggest giving it some time and trying again. If you have already done that or if that doesn't work when you try it, please post the URLs of the two Hubs you're referring to. Thanks!

3. Ann Hinds profile image69

Marina,
    This was done last week and has yet to change the date. I try it every day with no success. Tried again today.
    http://annhinds.hubpages.com/hub/a-coll … ting-tips-

The other one was only updated this morning. http://annhinds.hubpages.com/hub/the-gaulthair-children

Usually as I edit hubs the new date shows up instantly.

Thanks for responding.

1. Marina Lazarevic profile image76

Thanks for the examples, Ann. We will take a look.

2. Marina Lazarevic profile image76

It looks like both of those Hubs still show a change date of 8/22/14. To further troubleshoot I need to ask you a few more questions:

1. As far as you can remember, was there anything different about the edits you made to these to Hubs in comparison to the others?
      2. Which capsules did you edit most recently on each Hub? If you don't remember, please try editing both again, and take note of the changes you made.

The new date should show up instantly, so it sounds like this could be a bug.

1. vineliner57 profile image91
        vineliner57posted 9 years agoin reply to this

I am bumping this thread as I have been having the same problems.

I fixed http://vineliner57.hubpages.com/hub/fen … ing-tips-2 this morning, and it reflects today's date in the "Changed" column correctly.

The following were also changed this morning, but do not reflect the date correctly:

http://vineliner57.hubpages.com/hub/3d-movies-on-dvd-2

http://vineliner57.hubpages.com/hub/Aikido-Ki

http://vineliner57.hubpages.com/hub/Aikido-Basics-2

The only changes made were to update the summary, delete a few Amazon modules, add some videos that did not transfer over, changed some H3's in the text to bold, and activate the copyright notice.

I noticed this happening sporadically over the weekend. I would go in and re-click "Done Editing" and it seemed to fix the problem.

There was one that I know for a fact I fixed early on in the process (probably a week ago) that didn't reflect the date. Again, I clicked "Done Editing" (without doing any actual changes), and it cleared up the problem.

Thanks for any help.

Hal

Thank you for the detailed report, Hal. You said that you had to "re-click 'Done Editing'" to fix the problem. Does that mean that you had also clicked "Done Editing" the first time around when the change date did not update? I just want to make sure that this is what you meant.

Did you make the same types of edits to the Hub (Feng Shui Decluttering Tips) where the change date did update immediately?

The following is the best I remember doing:

On the one from a week ago, I only had to press "Done Editing" once to get it to take.

On the Feng-Shui hub, it took right away and reflected in the stats immediately.

I completed the other three within a half-hour of the first. It didn't take very long, as they were in pretty good shape coming over, and needed very little "fixing". None of them took, even after trying a couple of times.

I just tried the Aikido Basics hub, and it still isn't taking.

On the first hub that did take (Feng-Shui), I did everything previously mentioned except delete any Amazon modules.

Hope this helps a little. I have four more that need looked at. If you want me to try a few things to try and narrow this down, let me know.

I took a look at the three Hubs where the change date did not get updated and see that all three are still covered by the grace period. This would indicate that they were not actually edited (or, that there is a bug).

Can you confirm that your edits to these Hubs actually took effect? In other words, do you see the changes you made on the live Hubs?

When you make capsule-related changes in the HubTool, the changes should take effect immediately after the capsule is saved or moved (i.e., no need to click "Done Editing" at the top). For non-capsule related changes - things like editing the Hub title or summary - you must click "Done Editing" to save. I'm wondering if it's possible that you made non-capsule related changes and forgot to click "Done Editing"? Based on your posts it sounds like it's the opposite, but I want to make sure.

If you did click "Done Editing", saw the changes on the live Hubs, and we did not record a change date - that is quite the bug then. An engineer will have to do some deeper investigating to get to the bottom of it (first step is being able to reproduce here, which I was unable to do with my Hubs).

Thanks for the detailed information, and for your patience.

Yes, I can confirm that the changes made actually took. The summaries are there, the copyright notices are there, the videos I added are there, the Amazon capsules I removed are gone, and the small changes I made in some of the text capsules are there.

FYI, I went ahead and edited the last 4 lens/hubs that came over that needed worked on. 2 of them show as updated, the other 2 don't.

I have basically done the same thing to all lens/hubs: adding a summary, activating the copyright notice, trimming down Amazon capsules on several of them, added new Amazon modules where the HTML had been stripped out (which left me with the notorious "wall of text" that has been mentioned in other threads). Also added several YouTube videos which didn't make it over. Some videos made it, some didn't.

The reason I mention all the changes in the previous paragraph is that I can't put my finger on any particular editing function that is causing this to happen.

As it stands now, I have 5 of 93 edited lens/hubs that don't show as being updated. That is all the lens/hubs I had to work on, so I'm afraid I won't be able to try and reproduce it, other than tinkering with the 5 in question.

As for trying to reproduce it on your hubs, I have a feeling that this may only be happening to lenses that have been brought over. 

Sounds like a bug, and a strange one at that.

If I can help in any other way, let me know. I kinda like troubleshooting!

Oh, forgot to add that I did select "Done Editing" on all of them, usually trying 2 or 3 times, to no avail.

Update:

Went in this morning and did some tinkering on the last of the lens/hubs that weren't showing as updated yesterday, and this is what I found:

http://vineliner57.hubpages.com/hub/3d-movies-on-dvd-2

Resized a picture from large to float right. Moved the capsule sub-title words from the picture to the text capsule (to look better). Changes took and were reflected in the "Changed" column.

http://vineliner57.hubpages.com/hub/3d-lcd-tv-2

Resized a picture from large to float right. Moved the capsule sub-title words from the picture to the text capsule (to look better). Changes took and were reflected in the "Changed" column.

http://vineliner57.hubpages.com/hub/bes … tmas-candy

Added a picture and text module (for the photo credit). Changes took and were reflected in the "Changed" column.

http://vineliner57.hubpages.com/hub/Aikido-Ki

Changed a line of text in a text module from H3 to Bold. Changes took and were reflected in the "Changed" column.

http://vineliner57.hubpages.com/hub/Aikido-Basics-2

Resized a picture from large to float right. Moved the capsule sub-title words from the picture to the text capsule (to look better). Changed a line of text in 2 text modules from H3 to Bold. All changes took and were reflected in the "Changed" column.

These 2 were successfully updated on Sep 4, and I tried a couple of things on them:

http://vineliner57.hubpages.com/hub/raising-hedgehogs

Changed a line of text in a text module from H3 to Bold. Changes took and were reflected in the "Changed" column.

http://vineliner57.hubpages.com/hub/bac … icken-tips

Drilled down the category from Pets and Animals → Farm Animals and Livestock to

Pets and Animals → Farm Animals and Livestock → Hens and Roosters

Changes took, but were NOT reflected in the "Changed" column. Not sure if this type of change will show in the "Changed" column or not.

It appears that simply selecting "Done Editing" will not cause the "Changed" column to update. Probably a good thing, as it will keep cheaters from doing mass updates without really changing things.

Hal

Wow, you rock! Thanks for tinkering with this again and for the detailed explanation of what happened. I am going to chat with an engineer to see if we can pinpoint the issue. Each time you made capsule-related changes, the change date was updated. It sounds like at least some non-capsule changes are not reflected in the change date. As you said, that makes sense for changing the category, but seems off for title and/or summary changes. I hope to have an update soon!

4. Ann Hinds profile image69

For all the hubs, I am adding back links and videos and removing Amazon Ads. The only thing I did on both was to remove ads by clicking on the red x. Sorry, that's not much help but the writing one was a more involved edit and the family one was only the ads.

5. Ann Hinds profile image69

New one just now. I updated http://annhinds.hubpages.com/hub/tumbleweeds-2.

I added a summary and updated the category. I was delighted to see the videos back so I watched them before I hit done editing. It did not update the change date. I didn't change any of the modules.

Interesting. That pretty much coincides with what was happening with mine. You would think that adding a summary would cause the update date to change smile

6. Ann Hinds profile image69

I know that there are bigger problems than the change date on my hubs won't update but ran into another problem today. Although the stats on my hubs haven't updated in two days, apparently the program still runs to identify broken links. I like that feature and found one this morning. I fixed it twice but it is not updating the change date. How does that work? Does the program have to run again before the symbol goes away or the change date updates? I am already frustrated with losing all the traffic to the only two hubs that did well on the other site and now, I can't get this to fix.

Hi Ann - this is related to the delay in processing Hub Stats caused by a data center migration this weekend. I posted a general update about that in this thread and there is also an announcement in My Account > Hubs > Statistics. Rest assured that data is still being collected and the stats will be back to normal as soon as possible.

1. Ann Hinds profile image69
        Ann Hindsposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Marina,
        I fixed all of them today. It is the intro photo that is causing the problems on mine. As soon as I edited the photo (meaning clicked on edit and then saved), the dates changed. I had one that kept showing a broken link and it would not go away no matter how many times I changed it. Once I "edited" the photo, even if I didn't change it and clicked "saved", it was OK.

7. Marina Lazarevic profile image76
    Marina Lazarevicposted 9 years ago

To anyone that was wondering about why their content change data wasn't updating after they made certain edits to their Hubs: please check out the explanation in this new FAQ entry: http://hubpages.com/faq/#Content-Change-Date

If you believe there is still a bug, please open a new thread. Thank you for your patience! big_smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)