How should I respond to a Hub Pro edit?

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (36 posts)
  1. CatherineGiordano profile image76
    CatherineGiordanoposted 7 years ago

I opted in to Hub Pro and I just had my first edit. Nothing was changed except to remove three of my four amazon capsules and remove links to other websites that I included to provide supporting evidence for my claims. So I'm pretty proud that the editors didn't feel the need to change, or add, even a word.  I'm willing to the advice of the experts and let them make any changes that they think will improve my hub.  I assume that there is nothing I have to do. Am I right that doing nothing means I accept the changes?

1. kenneth avery profile image79
      kenneth averyposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Catherine,
      I haven't went to Hub Pro yet. I do not have the courage. Or thick skin.
      Loved your comment.

2. Millionaire Tips profile image93
      Millionaire Tipsposted 7 years agoin reply to this

There are several different types of editing, and lately, they have been taking out Amazon capsules and links to get a hub ready to a niche site.  This really isn't a full blown HubPro edit.  They may do that later when they have the time.

So far, I have been letting them snip my Amazon capsules, because they haven't deleted ones that I think brings me the sales.

3. Misfit Chick profile image76
      Misfit Chickposted 7 years agoin reply to this

It sounds to me more like you've been 'snipped' - which is a different, new feature than Hub Pro. http://blog.hubpages.com/2015/12/14/new … ty-alerts/

Snipping does just what you said it did: snips what is considered to be over-promotional links. It's Okay to add some back in if you think they are important to the article - I added a couple of those 'more info' links back in; along with restoring most of the Amazon capsules that were removed. If they go overboard, it's okay to restore within reason.

However, this snipping will supposedly help with search engines.

Misfit Chick . . . I received an email from HP telling me that 1 or more of my hubs had been "sniped" and moved to niche sites. Now in layman's terms, would YOU break this down for me?
        Their email said that although my hubs were "sniped," they would continue to make money and get traffic.
        Is this true.
        Many thanks and I.O.U. a fresh doughnut.

1. Misfit Chick profile image76

LoL! Their original post claims that this new 'snipping' feature is/was for hubs that were in danger of becoming 'unfeatured' or were close to being featured.

They snipped two of my hubs, both are Editor's Choice hubs that were NOT in danger of becoming unfeatured - at all. They removed THREE out of four Amazon products from my most profitable hub. Yeah, I replaced a couple of them. However, so far this month - that particular hub is making HALF of what it has been making. It may increase yet I suppose. But, it isn't a very good sign, so far.

I really don't like the seemingly-deceptive way this was presented to us.

Do you like Krispy Kreme or regular doughnuts?

4. Kylyssa profile image91
      Kylyssaposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Make sure you can find duplicates of the photos you have before the edit because they may lose some of their resolution if you try to restore them from the before/after diff document. You may wish to put them back if the images supplied by HP don't match the content as well as the originals.

I screwed up by not doing that and now I have to remake the craft project and take new photos of the steps because the ones they added do not exactly match the instructions and I couldn't locate the originals.

5. CatherineGiordano profile image76
      CatherineGiordanoposted 7 years agoin reply to this

On thing that did surprise me was the snipping of links to other websites. It used to be encouraged to link to authoritative relevant websites.I tried to do that for every hub. Now links are snipped. It's really hard when the "rules" keep changing.

1. Kylyssa profile image91
        Kylyssaposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Be sure to save the source links they snipped because the team is sure to eventually see that Google does not, in fact, punish or dislike links to authoritative sources. It's more professional to properly source your articles and HubPages is likely to learn that looking more professional is a good idea at some point.

6. bravewarrior profile image86
      bravewarriorposted 7 years agoin reply to this

I've had a hub "snipped" of the Amazon capsule. They said the product didn't apply to the article, but what they snipped was not the item I originally chose. It seems the Amazon capsules are the first to go. How, then, are we supposed to make money? It seems they do this just before moving the hub to one of the vertical niche sites.

1. Jean Bakula profile image92
        Jean Bakulaposted 7 years agoin reply to this

The terms are very strict regarding Amazon capsules. The product has to directly relate to what your hub subject is, and it also depends on how many words your hub is. The word count keeps changing, but check in the Terms of Service.

I have also had hubs snipped and they do take away Amazon hubs. But out of my hubs moved to niche sites, I am making more money on them. I think we have to wait and see.

1. bravewarrior profile image86

The hub in question was a review of the Serta 3" Memory Foam Mattress topper. I chose that very product when I inserted the Amazon capsule (and the hub was more than long enough and was moved to a niche site). However, when I looked at what was snipped, the product was a memory foam pillow - not what I'd chosen.

Shhh.....I have gone back to the Niche Sites a time or two and changed a picture or Amazon thing I hated and they never took the hub off the Niche. Why don't you just put the correct Amazon product on that you wanted? Just make sure your word count is OK. The edit mode still works, as long as nobody on the HP side is still working on it.

Hope that helps.

1. bravewarrior profile image86

Thanks, Jean.

2. Austinstar profile image85
    Austinstarposted 7 years ago

I think you may have to accept the edits, but they don't make it clear about which of the edited links to click on. I think it's  the one that says "see live on HP", but im not sure.

It seems that just opening the hub and then leaving without changing anything makes the snips permanent.

3. paradigmsearch profile image61
    paradigmsearchposted 7 years ago

"How should I respond to a Hub Pro edit?"

You say, "Thank you, ma'am. May I have another?"

1. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image85
      TIMETRAVELER2posted 7 years agoin reply to this

+1

I am happy to have my work professionally edited because I learn a great deal from the changes I see.  You don't have to do a thing, just reap the benefits!

If one of your hubs was edited, you will see a green pencil with a red exclamation point next to it by it's title on your account page. If it was moved to a niche site, the green pencil is still there, but the red exclamation mark is gone, and you'll see your hub on the other site.

Also, they email you to tell you it's been edited. So far, I haven't had many changes, they left my wording alone. They seem to be deleting Amazon capsules, unless the hub is about a specific hub you have information about. At least that's how it seems to be working for me.

Are we having fun yet?

HI Ken, Yes I'm having fun. I always wondered my HP didn't think my hubs were good enough to qualify for Pro or for niche sights. I think I have about two dozen that should qualify.

2. CatherineGiordano profile image76

Thanks Jean Baluka. I think I will save them the trouble and stat removing all amazon capsules leaving only one highly relevant capsule per hub. The email said something about the potential to be moved to a niche site. After I looked at the hub, the red mark disappeared from the green pro symbol, so I guessed there was nothing I had to do on my end.

paradigmsearch: LOL. I think that is the right attitude to take.

Hi Kenneth,
        How are you? Yes, HP has been tinkering a lot with our hubs to either get them ready for the niche sites, or just to bring them up to what they think is a better standard. I was shocked at the first hub they chose of mine. It does get traffic, but it's not what I think is my best writing.

I guess we stay for the people we like here, and sort of because it's a habit. smile

4. kenneth avery profile image79
    kenneth averyposted 7 years ago

Catherine,
    You being happy makes me happy. Isn't that what life on this earth all about?

5. FlourishAnyway profile image95
    FlourishAnywayposted 7 years ago

I opted out of Hub Pro after they missed some typos and primarily focused on taking Amazon capsules out of my highest traffic hubs.  I liked some original photos they added but the main focus was Amazon capsule deletion.  A useless "service."

I opted out of Hub Pro a long time ago - this 'snipping' feature is different and mandatory; although you can change things back just like the rest of their new editing features. However, in this case, you have to completely re-create the deleted capsule that you want restored - instead of being able to just hit 'restore'.

I read somewhere that Amazon capsules are especially being targeted; and that we will 'be lucky' if there are any amazon products left in hubs after they are snipped. I have had them remove every single one - and all of them applied to the article. I'm not one of those people who regularly goes overboard on those types of products. My hubs are long, and three - four most - is what is contained in them. Apparently, Google does not like Amazon. Lucky us. smile

I thought all of my amazon capsules were relevant. However, the one that was left was the most relevant. I figure HP is the expert at this so I will follow their advice. I guess google wants to show people content, not ads. Makes sense.

Neither Google nor HP should have issues with a few Amazon capsules that apply to content being written - the fact that they are making such a big deal about it IS relevant.

Because if I can't make money off of the Amazon capsules that were providing a nice chunk of income - it would be more beneficial for me to move all of my content into my own blogs so that I CAN make money off of them. This is a headache that I don't want to take on, but I will if I have to. SEO to bring them up into the search engines isn't that hard. And if they do well in Hubpages, they will do just as well in a blog. I know this, I have other blogs that do just fine without HP.

It is true that amazon can bring in way more money than views. However, One click-bait capsule can work as well as 2 or 3 capsules. Once someone gets to amazon, they will see the other offerings. I sometimes see something from my amazon capsule along with sales of related products. I assume that someone got to amazon by clicking on my link and then bought other stuff along with (or sometimes instead of) what I advertised.) Anyway, I'll see what happens.

Hi Catherine,
              Yes, they definitely are taking off most of the Amazon capsules. I was gradually taking them off anyway, as the rules keep changing and I never made much money on them. I left one, on a hub about a Tarot card deck, and the Amazon capsule with that deck was the only one still standing.

There aren't word or grammar corrections and I have some pretty long hubs, so that makes me feel good. I am still worried about what category they will put some of my hubs in. Also, I have a lot of "series" hubs, and I hope they keep all the parts together or they won't make sense.

I guess we have to wait and see. Only one of my hubs was moved, and it is getting much less traffic on the niche site, Dengarden, which I think is not a name people will think of when looking for gardening hubs. Best of luck to you.

Best of luck to you, too. I have been wondering about some of the niche site names, too - but I am assuming that HP hired people who know what they are doing.

However, in my experience - the main search word, such as 'garden' should be the first part of the URL; and the phrasing should be complimentary search words (what does 'den' have to do with gardening?), etc. Either things have really changed since my SEO days (which is possible, I don't keep up - too many changes); or they have hired their stoner friends & family who 'went to school' for this doing it, LoL!

Yeah, I am hoping for the first option. smile

Me too. I guess if someone is googling the subject, as long as our hub is about what they are looking for, the oddball niche name won't matter.

So o-o-o-o, now I am beginning to understand why my traffic has decreased compared to the hubs I have published recently.

I can see from this thread that "snipping" is the latest tack of HP. Along with niches. I have some excellent hubs that fit a few of the niches, but were not selected so far. I don't know if that is a good thing or a bad thing. I'm not going to worry about it.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)