Squidoo's Friends Coffee Shop!

Jump to Last Post 1-27 of 27 discussions (48 posts)
  1. SheilaSchnauzies profile image69
    SheilaSchnauziesposted 9 years ago

Did you Squidoo once upon a time? Me too! I miss seeing all my old Squidoo buddies! Plus I need to meet some new friends on the forums here!

Just stop in, say hey, bring your coffee and enjoy reconnecting with your old pals!

So I'll be first- hey everybody Hows it going? I've been really busy with taking care of the Schnauzer rescue kids! I took a 6 month hiatus from crochet design, even writing, due to an extended illness. I finally feel a little better and I'm poking my nose out to sniff around!

We just got slammed here with an early Winter, so the furkids are all schnuggled up with their little matching hoodies on taking Schnauzie naps. It's a good day.

Hope to see some old familiar faces here!

1. profile image0
      Crisantonioposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Hello! I was a Squid once upon a time, too. But not a big one -_- I didn't have any friends back there because I mostly read articles, commented, and didn't really post anything of my own. I was a lurker, you could say. I hope you and the furry ones are doing alright. I'm about to get my coffee.

Here's to a good day!

SheilaSchnauziesposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Hi it's nice to meet you and glad you are over here now! That coffee sounds pretty good, think I'll go Keurig!! Thanks for the good wishes, back atcha!

2. louise-barraco profile image40
    louise-barracoposted 9 years ago

Hi. it's nice to meet you and I am glad you are over on Hubpages now. I am new at bloggng but I first started out with squidoo I am still getting used to it. Best wishes.

Hi Louise, so very nice to meet you! Good luck here on HubPages!

3. Lionrhod profile image77
    Lionrhodposted 9 years ago

Always happy to connect with my Squidoo sisters and brothers. That doesn't mean that I like my new HP family less!

I arrived at Squidoo less than a year ago. In that time they gave me good advice, bad advice and advice that I'm still evaluating.

What I did appreciate about Squidoo most of all was the family atmosphere. We were there to teach and support each other.

HP folks seem (in most part) pretty similar. Dedicated writers intent on sharing their knowledge. I'm grateful to be part of the HP community.

Hi Lionrhod! Nice to see you! I totally agree that the best thing about Squidoo was the family atmosphere. I got to know SO many nice folks there and received nothing but support. So far, the same is true here! Although I have to admit I have been so busy editing my transferred lenses that I haven't had much to socialize! But... the interactions I've had with Hubbers so far have been most positive. Good luck!

4. Shorebirdie profile image75
    Shorebirdieposted 9 years ago

Hi.  I was Desertdarlene over on Squidoo, but I was already that here, too, and they made me start a new account.  I have a few hubs under Desertdarlene, but most of them are on this account. 

I liked being here, at first, but now I'm not too thrilled.  My feed is not that active, for one.  And I'm getting sick of the negative attitudes towards us former Squids that I've been seeing the transfer.  I've lost my enthusiasm for this site, especially since I make a lot more money somewhere else.  This is just a hobby now.

Hey Shorebirdie! I'm sorry to hear things aren't going so well for you here:( That's sad. I'm glad tho that you have found a good place for your work (I'm assuming). I guess everyone's experience is different. Good luck to you!

1. Shorebirdie profile image75
        Shorebirdieposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Thanks.  I am still planning to be here, but I'm not as enthusiastic as I was before.

5. Kalafina profile image65
    Kalafinaposted 9 years ago

Hi! I was Kalafina on squidoo and am Kalafina on HubPages. Literally drinking a coffee and Bailey's here to warm up since it's definitely winter weather here today. Can't complain though. A few inches beats a foot of snow any day.

I've been doing physical therapy and a whole other chronically ill treatment plan stuff. Just ended my blog hiatus today with an update of good news smile Also. Just started with a new freelance job.

Glad to have you on here!

Hi Kalafina! Your name definitely rings a bell... and your coffee sounds great! I'm having a plain old Starbucks Holiday Roast via Keurig. LOVE that stuff! We have snow here as well, just a couple of inches on the ground. Watching a bluejay fluff himself on a snowy pine branch out my window right now. It is so cold here tho, 18º with a 4º wind chill. And I have to go out today, yikes! Hope you have an awesome day.

Glad your CP treatment is going well. You may know I'm a chronic pain patient as well from too many maladies to list here. Also in PT right now because I ruptured my biceps tendon recently! Good on you getting your blog going again, I know how good that feels!

6. bibliopola profile image80
    bibliopolaposted 9 years ago

Hello smile Happy to hear from squidoo friends.
    Best wishes to all smile

Backatcha!!!

7. Kalafina profile image65
    Kalafinaposted 9 years ago

I always seem to be having coffee when I see this post! Currently having a Peppermint Mocha at Starbucks.  I walked in and kinda collapsed. A kind stranger helped me out. She insisted on buying my drink after rescuing me from the floor! People never fail to amaze me except at the Y. They just kinda step around your body.
    I miss the Squid family atmosphere too. Glad PT is helping you. I don't suffer from CP but do understand being chronically ill. It sucks but we keep on going, slowly in my case.
    Btw it is 12° here without windchill. This arctic blast is horrid! Stay warm and bundle up! Best of luck!

Wow, Kalafina, are you okay?? That's kind of scary, we're not supposed to walk into a coffee shop and collapse!! I really hope you're all right! And the Peppermint Mocha sounds awesome!

Sounds like you are as cold as I am! Stay warm!!

8. JenwithMisty profile image69
    JenwithMistyposted 9 years ago

I was on Squidoo for a few years and miss it very much!  I already had a JenwithFlash account here so I had to switch to JenwithMisty. I don't mind it here, especially since I tend to find all the same people no matter what site I'm at and like they say, home is where you hang your hat.  It's been a crazy year so I haven't had much time to do as much as I would have liked to get done here already so I feel a little behind as usual.  Anyways, it's good to see you here!

Good to meet you, Jen! Glad you are enjoying it here. I agree... we all tend to gravitate to the same kind of people I suppose, wherever we are. It just takes a common interest. Have a great day!

9. profile image0
    Crisantonioposted 9 years ago

Seems like everyone is having Starbucks LOL! I just have plain coffee right now. Might grab one tomorrow. It's nice to see former Squids here. I remember my struggles when I wrote my first post there. It got automatically transferred here during the merge. Oh well, off to work!

Let's have a great day, everyone!

Hope you got your Starbucks yesterday, Chrisantonio! i had a slammin' day yesterday. Today I'm back at that "writing thing" I do... It still seems like a mountain ahead of me, I still have about 60 transferred lenses that are unpublished that I need to edit and turn into published hubs! Since we are only allowed to publish three a day, (as newbies I guess??) progress is slow. But at least I can get the edits done and stack them up to publish as I can.

And now to go and select something that smells like roasty goodness from my K-cup carousel and get to work! Yesterday I tried my first Chai Latte. Is that ginger I'm tasting in that? It was pretty tasty stuff whatever it was!

Happy writing, everyone!

10. firstcookbooklady profile image86
    firstcookbookladyposted 9 years ago

Hello, from Minnesota. I can meet your coffee and your subzero temperatures with my own blazing 0 degrees and no wind today. Yes. My temperature is basically NOTHING. Zip. I am enjoying some Folgers in my cup with some Great Value Cappaccino mix. Great to be here. Getting the hang of hubs. I almost like them better than Squid pages.Nice to meet you!

11. DawnRae64 profile image72
    DawnRae64posted 9 years ago

Glad to find this thread.  I'm working on a blog post and trying to feature book reviews by former squids.... I've been feeling sad that squids have been scattered on the winds like autumn leaves during a tornado.  I miss the Squids.

1. Lionrhod profile image77
      Lionrhodposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Well we Squids are not all gone and probably not to the amount you thought.

I miss Squids too, but I've found a lot of us here as well as a lot of dynamite Hubbers who didn't start out as Squids.

12. louise-barraco profile image40

Hey squids how are you getting along on hubpages I am confused and could use some guidance  squidoo was easy to understand now I am confused

13. LindaSmith1 profile image60
    LindaSmith1posted 9 years ago

Louise: I just ran through your snippets of hubs on profile page. I would not use the word lens because your hubs are not lenses anymore.  The same goes with post, blog, blog post. You are writing articles.

1. louise-barraco profile image40
      louise-barracoposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Thanks I will fix that

2. Kalafina profile image65
      Kalafinaposted 9 years agoin reply to this

To be honest the term hub or lens here is ambiguous, it is content which matters most. If the writing is excellent, you can call it a squishedbanana because a silly name isn't the point of the work. My writing is aimed towards all audiences, not just people here. Not to mention, say lens or hubs to people who don't know the site and you get a blank stare. Though I would never ever use the term articles as I find it misleading from a job point of view. Also, what was your name on Squidoo? It would be lovely to know who you were back in those 'squid days.' Were you a squid angel ? Anyone else miss being one?

14. aesta1 profile image90
    aesta1posted 9 years ago

Hi Sheila. Am enjoying Portuguese coffee in my hotel in Coimbra. I was happy at Squidoo as I learned so much about online writing from there. I made my baby steps there but I am happy here now in HP. I have met new people here and have worked hard at the start just to fit my lenses into hubs. I have not written new things here as I am still studying how hubs really go but I appreciate the support from former squids.

15. Nancy Hardin profile image60
    Nancy Hardinposted 9 years ago

Hi Sheila, having my morning coffee and saw this. Good to reconnect with you once more. I was nancycarol on Squidoo. smile

16. ElBat profile image66
    ElBatposted 9 years ago

I remember you Nancy, and aesta1! I do miss Squidoo. Hubpages are so dark and boring. I used to write to bubblews, but they changed their rules too, and now I stopped writing. I sell spice in etsy!

1. Nancy Hardin profile image60
      Nancy Hardinposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Hi ElBat, I'm happy to be remembered, and it's good to see you. HP is different from what we've been used to, that's for sure, but time marches on as we all know. :-)

17. JenwithMisty profile image69

It's so nice to see Squidoo faces here.  After that ridiculous "unfeatured" forum post, I'm feeling like this is a very unfriendly place.  I have some questions but I'm afraid to ask any of them after all that. I am going to take a chance and ask one here though in the little coffee shop smile ...  my writing for an audience isn't great but neither is my web smarts so do you think it be better to start with taking a writing course or some type of internet course?  Or just keep writing and reading and hope it gets better over time?

Hi everybody! So nice to read all your notes here! I have been super busy lately with my private doggie boarding that I do to raise $$ for my schnauzer rescue, so haven't had a lot of computer time! Anyway just wanted to say hey to everybody. I'm doing some Christmas decorating in phases (as in work for 5 minutes, rest for an hour!) today. I ruptured my biceps tendon about 5 weeks ago and it's painful to use my arm a lot, so everything is slow going it seems. Oh well, I'm in the holiday spirit at least!

JenwithMisty, I wanted to comment on your question. It never hurts to get education on either writing or internet skills. That being said,  I'm always a person who learns by doing – spend some time looking at hubs from people whose work you admire. What do you like about them? What can you take away and store in terms of knowledge from them? I am too new to HubPages to tell you where to go here for help but the forums have to be a good place to start. I honestly haven't had a lot of time to look around.

Bottom line, I really believe that you get better at anything you want to be good at by practicing! Whether it's learning the piano or learning to write well, you have to do it again and again to get it right. SO - i would say you can probably find lots of resources for improving your writing skills online. I don't know if you are thinking of taking real-world classes - that can never hurt!  In any case good luck to you in achieving what you want.

I'm off to check the carousel for some very deep, dark flavor of coffee now! I need to wake up and get to work!

2. Kalafina profile image65
      Kalafinaposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Read, read, and read I believe it makes us all better writers smile I read everything from medical journals to my niece's storybooks to freshen up my writing style, except poetry I just end up thinking in rhymes or daydreaming when I try. Keep writing too. The more we write, the better we get. It's like practice to make perfect. Starting a daily journal helps with practicing time. I would look into writing help books (the library is always free) and sites before putting down money for a course. If you still feel the need, research and know just what you want in the course (grammar? Script writing? Creative?) Bedore taking the plunge smile

18. sara0129 profile image67
    sara0129posted 9 years ago

Hello everyone. Feels really good to be here and see familiar faces from Squidoo. Had a question.How is everyone handling the issue of unfeatured lens/hubs? Do you move your content to other sites? Can anyone recommend other sites where we can write? Thanks.

1. Nancy Hardin profile image60
      Nancy Hardinposted 9 years agoin reply to this

It depends on what you want to do, sara0129. For instance, I've moved a lot of my hubs off onto blogs, but I've kept a number of featured ones here for the time being. I may find a place for them too, eventually. I think content sites are really on their way out, as far as the search engines like Google are concerned. But that's just my opinion. So you need to ask yourself if you want to update those hubs to the point where they are featured and hope they stay that way, or if you'd rather have them somewhere you make the rules. Good luck to you!

2. SheilaSchnauzies profile image69

Sara, it depends on why they are unfettered but in general I work on my hub until it IS able to be featured. Does it need fewer Amazon modules, more text, etc... usually it doesn't take a lot of work to get one up to the standards here.

19. louise-barraco profile image40

Hi guys as of today I have decided to stop writing and instead I'm going to edit my lens and turn them into hubs but help with this is needed please I am still  confused

Louise... maybe if you could spell out what help you exactly need people could try to help. What parts are you finding confusing, etc.

20. Hairdresser007 profile image61
    Hairdresser007posted 9 years ago

miss squidoo. I haven't been on hub for ages. Don't really get it.

21. JenwithMisty profile image69

Thanks for the replies.  They helped a lot.  I have a lot of thinking to do.  I love being online but I'm still having a hard time getting over this unfeaturing unfairness.  Maybe I just need to start working on new hubs and leave my old ones to do whatever they're going to do on their own and not worry about editing them anymore.  Maybe I'll start a new one and work on it slowly as I read read read about how to do this right.  I don't know yet but thanks so much for taking the time to reply smile

22. Charito1962 profile image87
    Charito1962posted 9 years ago

Hello, Sheila and all former Squidoo lensmasters! I sure miss our Squidoo days! I still feel bad that it all had to come to an end, just when I was getting the hang of lensmaking (I joined in November 2013.).
    I feel a little uncomfortable here in HP, especially since one of my hubs has not been featured due to lack of engagement. I’ve gone over it several times, and it still remains unfeatured.

Anyway, the thought that my former fellow lensmasters are here consoles me. I hope that we can all continue to connect, and keep our forum alive the way it was in Squidoo.

Warm regards to you all!

23. profile image0
    Crisantonioposted 9 years ago

Nice to read from all of you after a while. How's your morning coffee, fellow ex-Squids? ^^

I've been reading some comments about HP ambiguity here. I hope this doesn't deter us from staying. Although I agree that it seems dark for now, I'm sure our writing can make it brighter somehow. The difficult part for me here is adjusting my articles. I had to add a few images, a paragraph or two, then check the numbers from time to time. But yes, I admit that the scoring system is confusing. I hope we get to figure it out soon.

Anyone finished with Holiday decorations? I still need to put up a tree!

24. LongTimeMother profile image93
    LongTimeMotherposted 9 years ago

Hello all. I too am an ex-squid, where I wrote under the same name. I opted to delete my work and close my squidoo account immediately before the transfer. I stopped writing there after discovering hp (and I've been here for nearly three years) because I enjoyed the hp challenge, and my time was limited. I knew my lenses would need considerable work to make them suit the hp format and decided not to bother.

@ Louise (and others who share her frustration), there are lots of hubs written about how to write for hp. I wrote one about 18 months ago when quite a few writers on the forums were frustrated because they couldn't get their early efforts published. Comments left on it indicate it was helpful - including a couple from ex-squids three months ago.

It is called "How to get your Hub past 'Pending' to be featured" and I've moved it up into the Spotlight section on my profile page so you can easily find it. Hopefully it will help address your confusion.

Having read 'A walk in the park', Louise, I think that's a great place to start your editing. See if you can apply what I said in my hub to that one as your first project ... and let me know if you have any questions.

@ Sara, I took a quick look at your decorative laundry hamper piece. I honestly don't know where you could successfully move that to - but I do think you could turn that topic into an earner here at HP if you are willing to try changing it to something rather different.

Instead of listing products with sales links, you could talk about the actual products (in separate capsules with relevant headings) and get people interested in the concepts. If you talk about different hamper designs and make the 'idea' attractive enough, people will click on your 'just one' Amazon link and explore the various options.

I know for a fact this works, because I've had sales of products I've just mentioned in passing - so readers are obviously clicking on a completely different amazon product to make their way to the different product they want to learn about.

You could copy and paste your 'original' text from each amazon capsule into a separate 'Text' capsule - and then expand it a little to make a helpful piece of information. Delete the amazon capsule. Look for a photo that's just a photo - either one you've taken or one you source from an appropriate site (like the free site I mention in my hub mentioned earlier) to use in a 'Photo' capsule. Leave just one or two amazon links spread out within the hub - use the ones you've had the most sales from in the past - and hey, presto ... you've got an evergreen hub that should remain published and could potentially attract quite a lot of traffic. (Of course, you'd change the title of it to something more appropriate.)

Okay. Enough from me. Just thought I'd try and encourage you to take advantage of hp's potential while you're here.

See you round. smile

1. sara0129 profile image67
      sara0129posted 9 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for your advise. Really appreciate this. I will have to change my style of writing for HP. My hubs definitely need work to be evergreen.

25. louise-barraco profile image40

To get featured on hub pages and to get followers, and also how do you set up your ad sense account so that maybe one day you could get paid?

26. Lee Hansen profile image78
    Lee Hansenposted 9 years ago

I was a squid for 7 years and my work was copied, tailcoated, plagiarised and got lots of traffic for the lenses as well as for my web sites from linkages. I did not build sales pages except under duress. At one time I had 200+ articles. I was one of the early warners who were told to MYOB when the scams were starting up ... I'm here for now, but I don't know if I will stay. My Squidoo moniker was Pastiche.

27. Board-Game-Brooke profile image87
    Board-Game-Brookeposted 9 years ago

Hi everyone! Nice to see a few familiar faces. I've been pretty discouraged since Squidoo shut down, so I don't check in at HubPages that often. (I was Tembrooke on Squidoo but I had tried HubPages before so I had to get a new name here.)

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)