Finally finished with Hubpage's boot camp. Time to see what's next.

Jump to Last Post 1-3 of 3 discussions (8 posts)
  1. profile image0
    TMacEwanposted 9 years ago

http://s2.hubimg.com/u/12297829_f520.jpg
    Don't know if this is the right section or not but I got five of my hubs featured within five days. Still have to wait for Hubpages to release me from the boot camp and receive my accolade for it.

As for the boot camp it didn't really seem to help me and I know I'm still inadequate. However, I'm confident in my abilities because I didn't have to do any editing to my hubs to make it pass their Quality Assessment. Doesn't mean I couldn't of done better and in fact plan to do better on more future hubs. But, in reality I just wanted to get out of boot camp plain and simple. To be honest I could of gotten out of boot camp in a day if I wanted to because of the 40 articles I've written and are still on my hard drive. That said, I wanted to write original stuff just for the sake of their boot camp.

Hubpage's boot camp to me, makes me out to be out as a spammer right off the bat. I like the premise of boot camp but not how it's being utilized. In reality it's just a training period for people who are new to blogging or in this case hubbing haha.

So, just wanted to point out their that I'm finally finished with it. Don't know when I'll get released or get my accolade. I'm guessing 24 hours which is a long delay but wouldn't surprise me. I'd like to know what your opinion's are on Hubpage's boot camp. Doesn't need to be a deep serious discussion or debate because I'm sure this has been debated before.

Like I said I support it but don't like how it's being done. Could be done differently and more effectively to weed out spammers.

1. Millionaire Tips profile image90
      Millionaire Tipsposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Welcome and congratulations.
      What suggestions do you have?

1. profile image0
        TMacEwanposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Thank you, and like I said in my post I'm not new to blogging and I've done for quite a long time actually.

I'm not here say the boot camp training period is horrible; actually the idea is sound, and it'll keep the spammers for sure because of the tight posting standards. But, it does effect the legitimate hubber's on here. For what ever reason if it doesn't pass the assessment it automatically gets unpublished. To be honest they should be given at least given a chance before it get's unpublished. Either way it takes 24 hours before the pub gets a rating again.

Also you know that non-featured hub's can still be good and have good content on them. Just because hub isn't featured doesn't necessarily make it bad or spam. Obviously boot camp just unpublishes for no reason. Because we get warnings that are pretty clear whether the article is substandard or over-promotional.

Those warnings I'm sure do make hubber's work at removing those warnings. I know I worked on removing those warnings when I was writing those hubs. It worked because they got featured the first time I didn't need to redo the hubs. I  had a few evergreen hubs with over 1250 words so I'm sure that helped in them passing.

I feel like their should be at least a chance for legitimate bloggers to be able to bypass the boot camp. Because I feel it's oriented more towards newer bloggers/hubbers. To be honest as a hub hopper I haven't really seen very many sub-standard hubs or ones that I would count as spam.

I've been a blogger for eight years since 9th grade in high school. So, I didn't really boot camp inspired me to make new hubs because it's pretty second nature to me. Obviously the QA can weed out the ones who are spammers and spam is never fun. It defeats what us legitimate bloggers work towards.

Also I got the accolade not too long after I posted this thread.

2. profile image0
    TMacEwanposted 9 years ago

P.S: All 7 of my hubs are featured now. So, obviously yea I didn't like being in that boot camp. I rather call it a training period.

3. colorfulone profile image78
    colorfuloneposted 9 years ago

Welcome to HubPages. I respect your thoughts on BootCamp.

Bootcamp does help teach new bloggers how to create hubs. I might add that there a many experienced bloggers (who are hardcore affiliate marketers, for example) who would not be able to pass BootCamp in IMHO.

1. profile image0

I agree it does help new bloggers and I think it's a good thing. But, at the same time a bad thing. The military doesn't even call their training boot camp anymore. It's Basic Combat Training and Advanced Individual Training. While Boot camp is technically training it's mostly referred to as a correctional punishment now. With the exception of fitness which is usually a hardcore training program for people.

Also very true that hardcore affiliate marketers wouldn't be able to pass Hubpage's boot camp. But, for me just didn't really seem necessary for me to do. Could of did it in a day. But, I decided to do original stuff that I hadn't done yet and wanted to do.

I do respect Hubpage's wishes to keep spam off here though. We don't need spam here and it's a good thing. But, I just don't see the point of automatically unpublishing someone's work. Unless it's violating terms of service, talks about restricted content, and has a DMCA claim on it I believe it should still be viewed.

That said sub-standard and over promotional hubs shouldn't be allowed to be published in the first place. Till some basic criteria is met before publishing. A word count for example would be good. I mean we get that guideline on the side bar every time we right a hub. Also the warnings are helpful so I know what's going on.

Just because a hub doesn't featured even at the beginning doesn't make it spam. If they've made it to the basic criteria that should be enough in my opinion. I.E. having like 500 words a couple good images that doesn't have to many links to the same place. Sometimes short and simple hubs are best and get the information across.

Also constructive feedback would be nice as well. Because I don't think the blog post on the boot camp explained that. They should tell you what you did right and what you did wrong.

1. colorfulone profile image78
        colorfuloneposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I have seen many hubbers come into the forums to ask for help on their unpublished hubs. One thing that stands out to me at the moment is that some need to take a course in English before writing an article on HubPages. Those articles would harm the site (and you and me).

1. profile image0

That's good. I guess that's a plus that community is willing to help newcomers. Some people do need to take English courses before they start writing hubs on here. That said, I took up to English 101 in college I didn't have to go higher for Nursing.

The articles would definitely effect us legitimate hubber's who are working hard on our hubs. But, those people should be given a chance none the less though.

But, really what has boot camp done for me? Not much, I just wanted to get out of it. Didn't find it very helpful just in my honest opinion. Because all my hubs passed on the first try in the mid to upper 60's. My more cent hubs near the 80's

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)