jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (14 posts)

Formatting is the new black

1. janshares profile image89
    jansharesposted 2 years ago

I'm finding that my hubs are looking better and hubscores are improving when I change photos, images, and other capsules to full width. I think formatting is everything now because it's directly related to how mobile-friendly our hubs can be. Right-floating capsules is out, full width is in. Try it. Even if you think the photos are huge and overpowering, mobile-viewing seems to handle it okay from what I'm seeing. Experiment for yourself.

1. colorfulone profile image89
      colorfuloneposted 2 years ago in reply to this

I reduced the size of my photos if they were over 700x520 in hopes the hubs load faster. That worked.
      ( https://developers.google.com/speed/pagespeed/insights/ )

Then, I made almost all of the photos full width. I think it did improve the appearance of my hubs.

Plus, I saw a rise in hubscores. Can't complain about that.

1. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image92
        TIMETRAVELER2posted 2 years ago in reply to this

I was told recently by the team that photos should be a minimum of 1000 pixels.

2. Christy Kirwan profile image
      Christy Kirwanposted 2 years ago in reply to this

Delighted to hear that you're already seeing the positive effects! With this week's update, I can not overstate the importance of making sure your Hubs look good to users on mobile devices. Well done being so proactive! smile

jansharesposted 2 years ago in reply to this

smile

2. Phyllis Doyle profile image91
        Phyllis Doyleposted 2 years ago in reply to this

Christy, what is the minimum size that images should be in our hubs?

1. colorfulone profile image89
          colorfuloneposted 2 years ago in reply to this

Phyllis, Robin, had said in a thread that 700 x 520 was working best.
          So! That is what I have been working toward.
          Thankfully, I do have the original sizes saved.

3. Phyllis Doyle profile image91
      Phyllis Doyleposted 2 years ago in reply to this

I have been editing my hubs to make all capsules full-width. I started doing this some time ago and it is really making a difference for the better. Some images I have to go back to the source to choose the right size, for a lot of mine were too small. I try to choose images that are at least 100 width to 600 high. Some are much larger, but if it is the only choice I have I will choose it if I cannot find another image that relates to my hub.

It is time consuming, but well worth the effort.

4. Dr Billy Kidd profile image91
      Dr Billy Kiddposted 2 years ago in reply to this

I updated one of my popular posts and looked at it in editing mobile preview. It seems to me that on the little screen the amount of information at 1200 words looks overwhelming.
      I guess this is why bold headings and bullets are important. But I'm thinking that shorter posts probably work better for mobile users.

1. rebekahELLE profile image87
        rebekahELLEposted 2 years ago in reply to this

I've thought the same thing when I look at a few of my hubs over 1200 words.  It will be worth watching what happens with this mobile update.  I think the callout capsules can also be a plus on mobile.

@janshares - I think you're right! I think it looks much cleaner on a desktop also.

2. janshares profile image89

Maybe the next "new black" will be shorter posts, Dr Billy. I anxiously wait also, rebekahELLE, to see how it all pans out.

2. Chriswillman90 profile image93
    Chriswillman90posted 2 years ago

Thanks for the information as I'm planning to do a full scale edit on all my hubs once I finish writing 50 of them. I too worry that the images will look huge but if it helps mobile users then I can't complain. I guess using smaller dimension photos is really the best way to go about it if size is a concern.

Good luck with experimenting, chriswillman90. You'll see a difference.

3. thebrownbear profile image74
    thebrownbearposted 2 years ago

Good to know. Thanks!

working