With all capsules full width, what about sidebars?

Jump to Last Post 1-4 of 4 discussions (27 posts)
  1. RonElFran profile image97
    RonElFranposted 6 years ago

The biggest issue I have with all capsules having to be full width is that there now seems to be no provision for sidebar content. I've had to eliminate several sidebar text capsules because although they have supplementary information that would be useful for the reader, they just can't be fitted into the flow of the main article.

When the material is fairly short, I've used call-out capsules, although with their formatting limitations they are far from ideal. But that would be very clunky for longer sidebar content.

We need a way to somehow highlight such material so that even though it's in a full-width capsule, it's still clear that it functions as a sidebar.

1. Glenn Stok profile image96
      Glenn Stokposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Ron, I have news for you. The sidebar content you thought you were using with floating text capsules never showed up on the side for 60% of your readers who viewed your hubs via mobile devices.

They showed up in-line with the main content, and if you were not aware of that then it’s possible that the content was not in the right place. If it appeared too soon, it may have been misleading to the reader.

This is one of the reasons why HubPages is discontinuing the floating capsules, because many Hubbers never checked the mobile preview in the edit tool to confirm correct positioning.

I wrote a tutorial hub about that two years ago when Google first announced the issue. It’s still available.

By the way, the callout capsules have three different display options. I personally don’t like the default. Tried changing it to see if you prefer the one with the text between the horizontal lines.

RonElFranposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Hi, Glenn. Yes, I'm aware that sidebars show up full width in mobile view. The difference is that when a floated right text capsule is auto-expanded, it still retains its distinctive shading, marking it as not part of the regular flow of the article. But when we manually expand such capsules to full width, the option of distinctive shading is not available.

I use all the various callout options, but none have the formatting flexibility of a text capsule. Because of those limitations, using them for content of more than a sentence or two hasn't worked well for me.

I don’t know what you mean by auto-expanded. That hasn’t happened yet. It will happen on January 15th and I am sure it will not retain the shading. They never said that it would. But I could be wrong.

I know what you mean about the callout capsules and I happen to agree with you. I noticed, too, that the formatting is different from regular text capsules. One option with the shading centers the text. The other option left-justifies the text, but doesn’t allow paragraph separations. That’s awkward.  I wish they would provide more formatting options.

You might want to try using a table capsule. Delete all extra columns and rows and keep just one row and one column. You can format the text any way you want. I talked about that in one of my tutorial hubs too.

1. Marisa Wright profile image86
            Marisa Wrightposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Half-width capsules automatically become full-width when viewed on a mobile. That's what Ron is talking about, I'm sure.

Oh, that’s what he meant. Silly me. I should have known he meant that since I originally told him they show up in-line with the main content on mobile.

2. Marisa Wright profile image86

Ron, I don't believe it ever retained its distinctive shading when auto-expanded.

RonElFranposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Marisa, on my Kindle right-floated text capsules with shading show up full width with a gray background.

Ron, I just checked by comparing one of your hubs on my desktop and on my iPhone. You are absolutely right! The floating text capsule retains the gray background when it is full-width on the iPhone.

I find it interesting that when we make it full-width manually it looses the gray background. Thanks for bringing this to our attention.

I'm going to ask the team to chime in on this contradiction. It's important to know because anyone who fixes their hubs manually before the January 15th deadline will lose the shaded background.

Well, blow me down.  I always assumed it would lose its shaded background, because when we make it full-width manually it loses the gray background.

I agree with Ron, it would be fabulous to have the choice of a full-width, shaded capsule.  I know the callout capsule has that option but (a) the colour is very dark and (b) the text is larger than normal.

I also agree with Ron. And we know it’s possible too, since the gray background is kept when it’s done automatically.

By the way Marisa, the callout capsules have the same size text as text capsules. Are you, maybe, comparing the title field of the callout to the text area of the text capsules?

I don't have time to go and check the callout capsules right now, but I had the impression that I wasn't able to get the same effect with the callout capsules as I could with a shaded text capsule.

I do know that I prefer the soft blue of the text capsule to the ugly gray of the callout capsule, but I'm sure there was something else about it that didn't quite work.  Is it the gray callout capsules that have centred text?

2. Robin profile image87
    Robinposted 6 years ago

Thanks for all of your thoughts on this.  We are reviewing the best options for right-justified capsules. One option is to move some of these capsules to callouts; however, there are some limitations to this, e.g., character count, paragraphs, links, or html within the Text Capsule.  We won't likely allow the option for authors to add a color to Text Capsules, as this can easily be abused and causes an inconsistent design. 

We will let you know as soon as we make a decision.  My advice is to try to update your articles on your own just in case our method doesn't work for your content.  Again, sorry for the inconvenience.  smile

I don't think we're asking for them to change automatically, we'd just like more options in the Callout capsule.

If we could choose the blue shading for the Callout capsules and had the standard options for aligning the text (left, right or justified), then I think we'd be happy to do it manually.

1. Robin profile image87
        Robinposted 6 years agoin reply to this

We probably won't be adding more options to the Callout Capsule.  Unfortunately, the more options we give, the potential for misuse increases.  My discussion revolves around what to do with right-justified Text Capsules that have a colored background when all capsules go full width.  That is what is being discussed at HQ.

I could imagine it would be technically difficult, but I'd have thought a shaded Callout capsule, with left-justified text instead of centered, would be the perfect solution.

I can't see how adding the ability to left-justify to the shaded capsule would be a problem, considering the unshaded version is already left-justified.

The good thing about the Callout capsule is that you can have only one paragraph, which keeps the amount of text limited - so people couldn't abuse it.

2. Glenn Stok profile image96

Robin, I understand the issue with misuse, and for that reason I agree not to add more formatting options to callout capsules. I also realize the reasoning for not allowing paragraph breaks—since there is a character limit in callouts. I also agree with keeping a consistent design across the entire site. That’s important.

Having said that, I have a recomendation for an idea. How about keeping things simple and just do what already is being done with mobile formatting...

Right-floated capsules that have the light-blue background on desktop already display with the light-blue background when made full-width on mobile. So you already have the code in there, and it functions well. Just use that existing code and provide a ‘check mark’ option to enable it, as previously was the case for right-floated capsules. There's no need to reinvent the wheel and no need to tie up the programmers with extra work converting floating text capsules to callouts.

3. Robin profile image87
    Robinposted 6 years ago

Thanks, Glenn.  I can make that suggestion, however, I believe our engineers prefer to make the code as clean as possible.  They also need to maintain this feature when other changes occur on our site and that can be problematic.  They tend to not like to have features that are not consistent throughout the site and properly maintained. 

@marisa:  Can't you just use the classic callout if you want the text right justified?

Robin, Maybe I wasn't clear. My suggestion was to use the code that you already have in the system. In addition, it would keep the background consistent between desktop views and mobile views.

1. Robin profile image87

Right, but this would just be for capsules that had the background in the past.  We wouldn't allow it going forward, so there's an inconsistency.  That make sense?  Sorry that I'm not explaining myself clearly!

Maybe we’re both not being clear. lol. Why not keep the consistency of the background between mobile and desktop? Or are you saying the light-blue background will be discontinued entirely? And if that’s the case, why not also get rid of the gray background of the callout capsules (colorbox setting). That’s too dark anyway, in my opinion.

1. Robin profile image87

Ha.  The background color will no longer be available for Text Capsules.  We aren't planning on changing the callout color, but I can bring it up with the team.  smile

So what you’re saying is that the background color, that’s presently on text capsules viewed full-width on mobile, will be removed. Am I understanding that correctly?

If that’s the case, I think you should make that clear to everyone in the weekly newsletter. I imagine many people expect the color to remain when made full-width to indicate that the text is separate from the main content.

Now that I’m saying that, I can see why HP is considering changing the floating text capsules to callout capsules. However, that presents another problem—callouts are limited, and they combine multiple paragraphs into one.

This is why I was offering a simple solution.

2. Marisa Wright profile image86

I understood what you meant, Robin.  If you allow existing shaded capsules to go full-width, then you'd have to allow people to shade normal text capsules in future, and that would get out of hand, right?

I just realised why the Callout capsule won't work as an alternative - because the font is larger than normal and more spaced, making it unsuitable for all but a very short paragraph. 

I'd still love to see the shading on the callout capsule changed, though.   I thought the original HubPages designer got it right with that blue shading, whereas the dark gray (which presumably was inherited from Squidoo) looks awful.

1. Robin profile image87

Yes, the color background would likely cause issues.  I can just see checkered articles.  smile  I will bring your callout-color feedback to the team.  Thanks, @marisa.

4. paradigmsearch profile image60
    paradigmsearchposted 6 years ago

https://www.nist.gov/sites/default/files/images/2017/10/25/Futuristic-touchscreen.jpg
    Holograms are going to make this entire thread obsolete within 2-3 years. Trust me. Ditto this one, https://hubpages.com/community/forum/14 … nuary-15th

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)