How do I deal with unethical web hosts when filing DMCAs?

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (20 posts)
  1. Thomas Swan profile image97
    Thomas Swanposted 8 years ago

I have had to file over 10 DMCA complaints containing approximately 30 URLs... and all for the same person using the same web hosting service.

This person continues to rip off my articles while I keep filing DMCAs. The web host takes the URLs down but, even after all these notices, they just keeping letting the person upload new ones. I've brought this to their attention, but my complaints are repeatedly ignored.

It's quite a small hosting company. I suspect they're being paid to host these sites, meaning they don't want to terminate the contract. However, I'm wasting a lot of time continuously filing these notices. There's nothing in their terms and conditions that obligates them to terminate their business with repeat offenders. However, surely there's a case to be made against them for allowing this to continue?

Is there any way I can report the web host (based in the USA) to an authority who would compel them to act.? As far as I'm concerned, they're complicit in the criminal activity of this person as they've knowingly allowed someone to breach the terms of a previous DMCA complaint. I have proof of this in the form of screenshots.

1. psycheskinner profile image84
      psycheskinnerposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Your single requests will be dealt with in isolation.  I would suggesting sending a polite letter to their main email address outlining the issue and asking for a more permanent solution.

Thomas Swanposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I've tried that, but they just seem to ignore it. Once, they even made an excuse for plagiarist:

"Hi,

Thank you for the update but no further information can be provided as to how we handle these legal issues other than for us to maintain safe harbor status we notify the customer with the documents provided. I do see that each complaint has been resolved within the 48 hour time frame and that each complaint is not for the exact same content.

We'll let you know once your latest notification has been resolved.

Thanks,"

A couple of months later, the plagiarist did steal the exact same content addressed in a previous DMCA. Of course, they still did nothing other than taking down the individual URL.

2. colorfulone profile image78
    colorfuloneposted 8 years ago

I copied a letter that Writer Fox posted in the forum. Maybe it will help you. Sorry this is happening to you.
    --------------
    Pursuant to The Berne Convention for the Protection of Literary and Artistic Works, and the Court of Justice of the European Union, this communication serves as a statement that:

I am the exclusive rights holder of articles on the [http:// yoursubdomain .hubpages.com] website and the owner and author of the following articles, posted on www.HubPages.com:

[List all of your Hubs plagiarized on howtomakemoneyonline.pituitaryapoplexy.com]

These exclusive rights are being violated by material available upon a site you are hosting on the IP address 178.251.230.102, at the following URLs:

[List each URL on howtomakemoneyonline.pituitaryapoplexy.com where your plagiarized Hubs appear.  Use the same order you used to list your Hubs.]

This is my contact information:

[List a name – It's supposed to be your real, legal name.
    address
    telephone number
    email]

I have a good faith belief that use of the copyrighted materials described above as allegedly infringing is not authorized by me, the copyright owner, its agent, or the law. I swear, under penalty of perjury, that the information in the notification is accurate and that I am the copyright owner of an exclusive right that is allegedly infringed.

I hereby request that you remove or disable access to this material as it appears on your service in as expedient a fashion as possible.

[Put the same name you used above at the end.  This is 'signing' the notice and is required.]

Thanks colorfulone. I think that just explains how to file the European equivalent of the DMCA. I have no problem writing DMCAs. I've had to write hundreds of them. The problem is this web host who won't do anything to stop one of their customers from putting up new infringements after the previous ones are taken down.

1. colorfulone profile image78
        colorfuloneposted 8 years agoin reply to this

It does sound like someone is making money off your content and does not have a stop button. Maybe Writer Fox will come a long and have some suggestions.

2. Writer Fox profile image31
      Writer Foxposted 8 years agoin reply to this

That notice is for sites hosted outside of the U.S.  For hosting companies within the U.S., the first paragraph of the letter should read:

Pursuant to 17 USC 512(c)(3)(A), this communication serves as a statement that:

3. Lady Lorelei profile image87
    Lady Loreleiposted 8 years ago

If they have Adsense or Amazon affiliate ads on their webpages then you can hurt the plagiarist by removing their source of income. File a complaint with which ever source of income they use and they will remove their account. It makes the person less likely to plagiarize if they don't earn from it. Otherwise sorry to say but just keep filing until this person goes and picks on an easier target.

1. Writer Fox profile image31

I think this is the best answer for a repeat offender.  Here is how to approach the advertisers:
      http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/122095? … ost2735226

Thanks Writer Fox.

2. Thomas Swan profile image97

That's a good idea. I wanted to do it this time, but weirdly there were no ads on the page. I wonder what the motivation for this person is.

4. relache profile image73
    relacheposted 8 years ago

This situation is solved by filing your Notice Of Infringement or DMCA complaint with the web hosting company.

Watch how fast they take down the entire domain that has been ignoring you.

I have been filing all the notices with the web host. That's the problem. They won't take down the entire domain of this person even after dozens of infractions.

5. Kylyssa profile image91
    Kylyssaposted 8 years ago

Also, if the plagiarist is using Adsense, file a report through Google webmaster tools. Enough reports and Google will take away their Adsense account. You can also file a DMCA report with Google even if they aren't using any Google products which will get their page removed from Google search results. I've noticed that the URLs in question also often tend to disappear from Bing and Yahoo a week or so after Google removes them from search results.

I've had difficulty getting IPs from certain areas of the world to remove stolen content and I fall back on those two solutions fairly often. It isn't as satisfying as getting the content removed but it is functionally nearly as good if the thief's page can't be found using search engines and they can't earn money off it.

Thanks Kylyssa, those are good suggestions.

6. Buildreps profile image86
    Buildrepsposted 8 years ago

If this plagiarist keeps on copying and maintaining his questionable practices, I would consider to let the website taken down by professionals like the Lizard Squad. Of course it's not totally legitimate, but who cares in this case?

At this point, I'd probably consider any option, as long as it doesn't land me in it. The time and frustration expended has already been too much.

7. paradigm search profile image54
    paradigm searchposted 8 years ago

Just thought I'd toss in my own lament. Ratted out a thief to Google. Google approved. So the thief just altered his sub URL a little bit. Now it's back in Google search again and ranked higher than mine again.

1. Writer Fox profile image31

If that is the case, report it here:
      https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1Pw1KVO … 5340082246

1. paradigm search profile image54
        paradigm searchposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Thanks, Writer Fox! I slapped that link on my bookmark page forthwith.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)