Advertisements need to be explicit about being advertisements

Jump to Last Post 1-3 of 3 discussions (11 posts)
  1. makingamark profile image70
    makingamarkposted 8 years ago

I've just started going through some hubs re the new Editbot when I noticed a change which:
    1) I don't like - they appear to be part of my text rather than adverts - and I don't like people being misled about what's my writing and what is business advertising. That suggests I endorse the link - and that's plain WRONG!
    2) More to the point Google listens to my view (and everybody else - including readers of content - who think the same) and agrees with it
    2) Presenting content as text rather than clearly as advertisements breaks FTC regulations about advertisements.

At the bottom of my text in http://makingamark.hubpages.com/hub/top-10-museums there is a block of 10 names with a blue slab behind them

IT IS NOT AT ALL CLEAR THAT THESE ARE ADVERTISMENT LINKS

So far as I am aware every single advertisment on a website has to be clearly signalled as such (i.e. open and transparent as adverts) and should never ever appear to be part of the text of editorial

To my mind these adverts fail on this requirement big time!

If HubPages would like me to find the section of the Federal Trade Commission requirements for advertising on the Internet I'll be happy to go look and find the section which suggests this sort of advert is not allowed.

To my mind they need to be boxed in with the word ADVERTISING clear in the top of the box.

1. relache profile image72
      relacheposted 8 years agoin reply to this
        makingamarkposted 8 years agoin reply to this

You found my link interesting then? wink
        http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/133101#post2765532

I'm trying to remember the specific guidance on the clear differentiation of authored text and advertisements

I think I've found it - this is the 2013 update re the original "Dot Com Disclosures: Information About Online Advertising"

press release: https://www.ftc.gov/news-events/press-r … guidelines 

publication: ".com Disclosures: How to Make Effective Disclosures in Digital Advertising" https://www.ftc.gov/system/files/docume … tising.pdf

I also found the one by Google https://support.google.com/webmasters/answer/96569 - my bold.

Paid links: A site's ranking in Google search results is partly based on analysis of those sites that link to it.In order to prevent paid links from influencing search results and negatively impacting users, we urge webmasters use nofollow on such links.  Search engine guidelines require machine-readable disclosure of paid links in the same way that consumers online and offline appreciate disclosure of paid relationships (for example, a full-page newspaper ad may be headed by the word "Advertisement").  More information on Google's stance on paid links.

It's quite clear Google thinks advertisements need to be clearly signalled to both consumers and Google. It's not just enough to include a "no follow'.  FTC takes the same view.

2. justholidays profile image67
      justholidaysposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I've seen different ads: banners advertising flights to Ibiza and Marrakech wink

I'm so sorry Katherine, I can't help. I think we all see different ads.

makingamarkposted 8 years agoin reply to this

We may all see different adverts - but what I'm seeing in hubs which contain lots of links to information is a series of advertisements at the end which are just titles and links and which make no effective effort to announce themselves as advertisements.

It's confusing - and the one thing that Google does not like is for readers to be confused as to what is an advert - because they know readers don't like being confused.

1. SheilaMilne profile image92
          SheilaMilneposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I see a bank of ads under "See also" too and agree they are misleading.  However they are Google ads so presumably they like them that way.

2. justholidays profile image67

Yes I know, it's been almost ten years since this new Google rule was implemented - I remember the time people used to integrate those ads into their writings; it was for earning purpose. Maybe an advertiser who's not aware of such changes after all these years? Anyways, a screenshot might have been helpful...

1. SheilaMilne profile image92
            SheilaMilneposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Here you are

http://usercontent2.hubimg.com/12653125_f248.jpg

You will need to enlarge the screen shot CTRL-+  The bank of ads is in pale blue here.  Sometimes they have a black background.

1. justholidays profile image67

Oh my, it's worse than what I thought of!

When on a black background one might think that they're not part of the writer's work or related content but on blue background, such links just look like part of the writer's portfolio. I really don't want such ads on my pages.

2. Mark Ewbie profile image81
    Mark Ewbieposted 8 years ago

The top selling App today is Crystal an ad blocker for iPhone.

Ironically when I searched for some additional info on this I was given a Google search result of  TechTimes - a crappy website FULL of advertising.

I like seeing their terrible ads because it means I will NEVER visit that site again.  That gives me some choice.  But I suspect more people who are not in the awful writing for a few cents game will just block them out.

All that effort on mobile traffic which may be blissfully unaware of all that spam.

3. makingamark profile image70
    makingamarkposted 8 years ago

I think I'm going to create a new module within my Hubs which states

THE ADVERTISEMENTS IN BLUE BELOW - WHICH ARE TRYING NOT TO LOOK LIKE ADVERTISEMENTS - ARE ABSOLUTELY NOTHING TO DO WITH ME.

In capitals I think - because if advertisements dissemble then I call them out....

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)