Cannot click on hubber's names if not signed in.

Jump to Last Post 1-3 of 3 discussions (34 posts)
  1. Jackie Lynnley profile image86
    Jackie Lynnleyposted 8 years ago

Have you noticed that you must be signed in to click on a hubber's name to go to their hubs? This does not seem good to me; it keeps readers from spotting hubbers they may want to check out and the traffic we are after is non-hubbers isn't it? So they would never be signed in. This seems an issue that should be considered by Hubpage management; don't you think?

1. Glenn Stok profile image97
      Glenn Stokposted 8 years agoin reply to this

This is nothing new. The fact that only logged in Hubbers can click to visit the profile of a commenter is a privilege for other Hubbers.

But there is a good reason for not allowing all those links for outside visitors. I am sure this has been well thought out, and is not a bug.

You have to understand that you lose link juice for every additional outgoing link. So as comments keep adding up, your hub would go downhill if Google saw all those links. That's why only other Hubbers can see it and Google can't.

In addition, many times I find comments from people who were banned. It would be terrible if Google got to see those links. Google bots are really good at comparing tracking known spammers. If you have too many links to spammers, that can hurt too.

Besides all that, outsiders usually don't have a desire to follow comments to profiles anyway. Most of the time they never even read the comments. I refer friends to other Hubber's hubs sometimes, and I ask them later if they had read the comments. They never do.

Only our own family of Hubbers think of reading comments and have a desire to check out other Hubbers who comment.  Of course there may be exceptions, but I am pretty sure the majority fall into this mode. And for those the links are available.

So as you see, this was done for a reason. HP has your back, even if you don't think so.

1. Venkatachari M profile image83
        Venkatachari Mposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I can understand this stand of HubPages. But, we may like to get as much traffic as possible to our hubs from non-members also.

Links to profiles don't help much anyway. 

If a hub is well written with useful information that answers questions people are searching for, and with little competition, then it will attract organic traffic.

Most non-hubber visitors never read comments anyway, as I discovered from my own research. They may enter their own comments, but they don't read them as much. And even if they did, they have less of a reason to follow links to profiles. Most people who read my hubs never even click to MY profile. I know this is be fact from analyzing my "traffic flow" in Google Analytics.

Thanks for clarifying things. I should use GA and benefit from it as per your advice.

2. Jodah profile image91
        Jodahposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Good points Glenn, thanks for sharing

3. Jackie Lynnley profile image86
        Jackie Lynnleyposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I guess I can understand that. Too bad it is such a cruel world. lol
        It is just I don't always have time to sign in and if I do I forget to sign out which for some reason drops my score and I do see so many hubbers of interest and cannot go see their content etc and I could jot their name down to go back to when I am signed in. But yes, I am sure HP knows what they are doing.

Leaving your browser signed in to HubPages definitely does not lower your score. I never log off. The only reason to log off is if you are using a public computer such as in a library.

1. DzyMsLizzy profile image85
            DzyMsLizzyposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I always log off when shutting down for the night.  Who knows what hacker or other miscreant landing here from a web search, might find my articles while I sleep, and discover that they then have open access to my account to mess with anything they wanted???

2. Faith Reaper profile image84
            Faith Reaperposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I never log off either because I want to be able to read and comment whenever I have a moment, even from my phone while waiting in a doctor's office.

So, are you saying that if someone comes across our hubs via Google, they can read but just not click on the comments of others to see what they have written?  I know I can go straight to Google without being on HubPages and read whomever I want if I know their Hubber name, i.e., Jackie Lynnley on HubPages and it allows me to read all of her hubs or any other hubbers' hubs when I type in their username, etc.

Thanks Jackie, for the good question, as I have wondered about it too, myself.

It's like if I go to one of your hubs reading without signing in and see someone new I want to check out, I would like to be able to click on their face and go to their profile/content but I can't. Sure I can write it down if I happen to have a pen on me and paper...but all I want to do is see first if they are someone I am interested in but i can't. I mean if there is good reason then OK but this really happens to me so often and they just are out of my memory as soon as I leave not being able to check them out and I really hate that. When I am signed in I have an agenda and usually limited time lately.
              I know I should learn to use my phone; maybe when winter comes and I am not so busy.

1. Faith Reaper profile image84
                Faith Reaperposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Yes, I understand about wanting to check out someone else.  For me, it is best that I just never sign out.  However, when I ask a question, I have to sign out and log back in just to do that for some reason LOL.

If I forget to sign out; especially at night, I drop at least 2 or 3 points.

Jackie, I thought I mentioned already that your score does not drop when you stay logged in.

I never log off so when I come back to HubPages I'm already logged in. I find it easier since I can get right business without extra work logging in. I never found that it has an effect on my score.

Something else must be causing it in your case. I see you are following over 500 people. Do you read all their new hubs?

If one follows so many and doesn't intend to really read their new published hubs, I think that may be one reason for scores getting lowered. Personally I could never keep up with reading new hubs of 500 people, as much as I'd love to. Some people follow just to try to get followers. These people never actually intend to actually read anything. I am sure HP knows when one is serious about following the people they chose to follow. And the hubber score reflects that activity. I'm not blaming you. I'm just saying my opinion in an effort to help.

2. Glenn Stok profile image97

Faith, It has nothing to do with if they came from Google search or not. If someone visits who is not logged in, they can still read comments but they cannot click on the name to go to the profile of the person who left the comment. I explained earlier in this thread the reason for that.  Only logged in Hubbers can click comments to visit the person's profile.

4. DzyMsLizzy profile image85

I don't understand how a person who arrived via "organic" search, and then is able to click on the hubber's name, is related to "spam" or "outgoing links."

Please clarify.  It seems to me, that if they liked the article, they might well want to follow up to see what else that person has written that may be of interest, in which case, they might well read another of their hubs.
        What has that to do with spam?

1. Millionaire Tips profile image90
          Millionaire Tipsposted 8 years agoin reply to this

When I first read the original post, I thought it was awful that you couldn't go to the link of the Hubber who wrote the article. I tried it and found that you could indeed click on the link to go to the Hubber's profile and see what else they wrote. 

Looking at the other posts, it seems like they are talking about going to the profile pages of people who posted comments.  I have no problem with not having live links to other Hubber's profile pages, because you want the focus to stay on the Hubber who wrote the article, or at least other hubs that are of the same topic - things that can be controlled by the Hubber and / or HubPages rather than the who write comments.

You are correct. Thanks for clarifying that for Lizzy's question. This discussion has been entirely about profile links on comments.

1. DzyMsLizzy profile image85

Thanks for that clarification; it was not clear from the OP that it was about commenters.

2. Jackie Lynnley profile image86

I don't even pretend to understand it. Makes no sense to me either but apparently Glen knows what he is talking about and I will just take his word for it...he is almost always right.

2. skperdon profile image80
      skperdonposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Glen Stok makes some good points. I'm sure it is to protect against spammers. Google really goes after spammers and everyone linked to their activities. I myself feels secure knowing that they're being blocked from my profile.
      But your concern about genuine traffic is understandable.
      Are we really losing huge traffic because this as opposed to being protected from a large number of spammers?

2. Jodah profile image91
    Jodahposted 8 years ago

If this is in fact the case Jackie, it is concerning. you are right that we are upposed to be trying to attract outside traffic as much as possible. If they can't click on a hubbers name in comments to check their hubs it is quite a hurdle in that respect.

It is a fact for me John. Try it and see. I hate it for myself as well because I come in to read sometimes and maybe spot someone interesting to follow and I can't get to their profile to check them out.

3. WryLilt profile image87
    WryLiltposted 8 years ago

I thought "That's not right" - then I went and tried it. Ugh - that's a big issue. That's one of the cool things about comments - they can lead to outside traffic trying to learn more about you.

I hope the staff make usernames clickable again for organic traffic!

I hope they do too and it has been like this for so long it is hard to tell how many missed chances very many have missed...both ways!

But, Glenn's argument above is quite reasonable, I think. It is to protect from spammers and outgoing links. Viewers should search from keywords and when they are on social media sites, I hope they can come from those links to our hubs.

Spammers! I wish the internet police would catch them all!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)