Regarding unfeatured hubs!

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (25 posts)
  1. ChitrangadaSharan profile image89
    ChitrangadaSharanposted 6 years ago

When a particular hub is unfeatured, can the moderators be more specific about what is the problem areas which have to be improved. Just writing ‘ Spammy elements ‘ doesn’t help.
    I keep on updating my hubs regularly, even if they have decent traffic/ views. But these days, any editing (from my side) results in that particular hub being unfeatured.
    I do try to improve them further according to the changing rules and regulations of HubPages,  but again I get the message, ‘Spammy elements.’

1. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image85
      TIMETRAVELER2posted 6 years agoin reply to this

I took a look at your hub about how money can't buy everything.  I do not think your problem is using links!

The team places a copyright notice you can use at the bottom of the hub tool.  Instead of using it, you have chosen, at least in this hub, to place your own notice both at the top and the bottom, in bold letters, of your post.  The team specifically asked us some time ago not to do this.

Second, I notice that you often use exclamation points when you should be using question marks.

Third, you are using lists where there should not be any, and not using them when there should!

All of these things are issues that could cause your work to have problems.  I suggest that the next time you update a hub, you pay close attention to issues like these because if you don't you'll continue to have issues.

By the way, I use Amazon links regularly in my hubs and I also link back to my own articles and sometimes to external ones and every one of my RV hubs and most of my Dreamworker hubs are on niche sites.  Just sayin'

ChitrangadaSharanposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Thank you TIMETRAVELLER2 !
        Suggestions noted and I appreciate you for being so specific. That’s what I request the editors/ moderators to be. It will save our time as well as theirs.
        Regarding copyright notice, I had some bitter experiences of my work from HP stolen several times. No DMCA helped . After putting my copyright notice, such incidents have not happened. Anyway if you suggest, I will remove them.
        Yes I can see that you have Amazon links and your own links and many others also have it. But in my case it was removed from  some of my hubs which went to niche sites and even others.
        For proofreading, I do use use Grammarly and Proofread Bot, So I think there should not be any issues related to that.
        Thank you once again for your suggestions and I would review my hubs accordingly.

1. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image85
          TIMETRAVELER2posted 6 years agoin reply to this

The moderators really don't have time to do specific edits, unfortunately.  This can be very frustrating because if you knew what you were doing wrong you wouldn't do it!  It is so easy to make mistakes and not even know you have done it, but fortunately when you post here for help, a number of writers try to guide you.  What I dislike is writers who say "Oh, your work is great" or "I don't see any problems"...when you are looking for constructive criticism comments like that don't help.  As a former English teacher, when I leave a response to a question like yours I try to give an honest assessment.  Some people get mad at me for doing it, but either people want help or they don't.  If they don't, why ask for help???

1. Marisa Wright profile image87
            Marisa Wrightposted 6 years agoin reply to this

I agree TT2 and your suggestions for improvement are always helpful.   However, I always think it's important to answer the OP's specific question first, to avoid confusion.

The moderator's message in this case was "spammy elements".  It's important the OP understands that means ONLY that there is a problem with links.  If she gets the impression it means other things like grammar or structure, then in future, she could spend hours editing those elements and could even forget to fix the links - resulting in endless frustration.

So in summary, if the OP fixes the links, then it's likely the Hub will get Featured again because that is what the moderator is concerned about. However, if she improves the structure, that could improve her traffic so it's also worth doing.

2. Marisa Wright profile image87
    Marisa Wrightposted 6 years ago

I wish HubPages didn't make up its own jargon, because it only confuses people!

"Spammy elements" just means you have one or more links which are against the rules.  It's that simple.  It could be a link to an Amazon product, or to another website, or to another Hub.  It might help you to read my Hub on the Basic Rules, to make sure you know what the rules about links are.

1. Venkatachari M profile image88
      Venkatachari Mposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Thanks, Marisa, for making it that much simpler. It's true that many words used by HubPages need to be made simpler so that anyone can understand what they are referring to.

Chitra, when you edit hubs, you need to be more careful to look at every aspect of it. Otherwise, you leave it as it is. Once, you touch anything, the HP bots are watching you. Otherwise, they will not bother!!!
      So, you take your full time before starting to edit any hub.

Thank you  Venkatachari Ji for your help!
        I agree with you that the moment I touch (edit) any of my hub, they become unfeatured. I do it because HubPages expects us to keep editing and updating our hubs to add more relevant content in it. But the results are counterproductive. Even some of my top performing hubs are affected.  Moreover it takes so much time that you are in no mood to publish anything new.
        Thank You for your advice Venkatachari Ji!

1. Venkatachari M profile image88
          Venkatachari Mposted 6 years agoin reply to this

True, Chitra. It is a very time-consuming job and even frustrates you a lot if it does not catch up readily.

I have two unfeatured, presently since one year and do not like to touch them without full research.

I got one broken link message two days back on another featured hub which I fixed immediately by changing the link to the correct one.

Government websites keep changing their folders and thereby the links become broken.

2. paradigmsearch profile image61
      paradigmsearchposted 6 years agoin reply to this

HubPages really should pay you something. You do a job that is necessary and that HP should do themselves.

Thank you paradigmsearch for your response! In fact I don’t mind if they want me to edit some portion of the hub. But going through the whole article again and keep guessing, what could be the trouble spot, involves lot of time. I just want them to be more specific. In any case, the same hubs which have passed the QAP earlier and are doing well since the last five years, cannot be completely wrong — so wrong that they deserve to be unfeatured!
        Thanks again for your response!

1. Marisa Wright profile image87

Those old Hubs are not "completely wrong".  However, the rules have changed.  They didn't go back and check old Hubs to see if they obey the new rules - but when you edit an old Hub, THEN they check it.

So it's usually not necessary to make huge changes to the Hub, it's just a case of working out where you've broken the rules.   For instance, as TT2 says, we're not supposed to add our own copyright any more.  We're not allowed to use the star rating any more, except in recipes.  We're not allowed to link to our own Hubs unless they are directly related to the Hub.  And so on.

Once again, many thanks Marisa for your help. I have noted the suggestions made by you and TT2 and will review my hubs accordingly.
            Yes I did edit some of my old hubs to add fresh content and more videos and they became unfeatured. Thanks for the advice that if they are having decent traffic, there is no need to make changes.
            Thank You!

3. ChitrangadaSharan profile image89

Thank you Marisa for your answer! Yes I will read your hub.
      I have removed almost all Amazon capsules from my hubs and those that were selected for niche sites were removed by HubPages.
      I don’t have any external links but I do have some links to my own hubs, in case they are related.
      I will review them again and many thanks for your help.

1. Titia profile image91
        Titiaposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Linking to your own hubs is a no no at HP these days.

Yes Titia, I can see that. I have removed links to my own hubs too. Although I don’t like this rule because some hubs are related and it’s important to read both of them together.
          But rules are rules and we have to follow them, whether we like them or not .
          Thank You!

3. docashp profile image76
    docashpposted 6 years ago

I wish they were more specific rather than the genric "spammy elements". It confuses new hubbers like me. I think using amazon capsules is also a great hurdle in the hub being approved. I have stopped using them all together on the presumption that hub pages dislikes them. lol

Thank You docashp for your response! Yes, that’s what I want—the notification to be more specific. That will save lot of time and we will be able to publish new articles.
      Even I don’t use Amazon capsules.
      Thank you!

2. Marisa Wright profile image87

"Spammy elements" IS very specific.  It means you have links in your Hub that are not allowed.  It's true they might be links to Amazon products, or links to websites, or links to your own Hubs - but all you have to do is check your hyperlinks and Amazon capsules, and make sure they are within the rules.  That's not too hard to do, surely?

4. anusha15 profile image84
    anusha15posted 6 years ago

Actually, sometimes the bots can be unpredictive too. There may be no satisfactory explanation, if any, that could be given, even by HubPages Editors. Old hubs are not re-checked till we edit them, so they are left alone, but you can't be too sure about that either. So, I think what we should do is, edit and update if we feel that:

1. The hub has become partially or totally obsolete,
    2. There is some additional information that is extremely crucial and must be added, or
    3. We are receiving notification for doing this.

Apart from the above 3, IMO, we should focus on publishing new and quality content.

Thank You Anusha for your suggestions and I agree with you. It’s not necessary to edit old hubs, unless we get a notification to do so.
      Time to focus on publishing new ones.
      Suggestions noted, my friend and thanks!

5. tritrain profile image70
    tritrainposted 6 years ago

If you have access, try writing on Word or run your article through Grammerly.com to check on grammar and spelling. 

Otherwise, ditto to everything TimeTraveler had just written.

Thank you tritrain, for your response!
      I do use Grammarly and Proofread Bot for proofreading.
      Thanks everyone for your helpful suggestions in this thread.

6. Marisa Wright profile image87
    Marisa Wrightposted 6 years ago

Just to be clear, if they are getting decent traffic then there's no need to make changes to the text, BUT you do need to identify and fix the aspects that are breaking the new rules.

Yes I understand! Thank You Marisa once again.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)