Um, this hub needs a lot of work!

Jump to Last Post 1-3 of 3 discussions (15 posts)
  1. TessSchlesinger profile image61
    TessSchlesingerposted 8 years ago

Rip it to pieces! Tell me what needs to change! Thanks. smile

http://hubpages.com/politics/Why-govern … -privatize

1. Will Apse profile image88
      Will Apseposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I only skimmed it but three things stood out as problematic:

Capitalization of headings.

Privatise and privatize.

Amazon ads on a page that would be better off without them. They also sort of goes against the radical spirit, lol.

TessSchlesingerposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Okay, will remove the ads. They don't work anyway. So why would this hub be unfeatured, save that someone didn't agree with the sentiments?

2. theraggededge profile image96
        theraggededgeposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Will, 'privatise' is correct in UK/AUS English. HP doesn't mind 'proper' English spelling big_smile

1. Will Apse profile image88
          Will Apseposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I reckon you should use one or the other. Both on the same page is a bit weird.

I use both for SEO purposes. smile That might not be the right thing to do and I'm open to suggestion.

2. theraggededge profile image96

Looks fine to me.

Will is probably right about capitalizing the heading and sub-headings. I noticed a couple of years ago that it was no longer 'fashionable' to use title case in sub-headings, but it seems to have made a reappearance now. I think when you are referring to a particular government, the word government should be capitalized.

Okay, so why, in your opinion, would this hub be unfeatured? The only reason I can think of is that someone disagreed with its comments.

1. theraggededge profile image96

Don't know, Tess. Is its traffic low? Are there swear words in the comments? Links in the comments?

2. Sue Adams profile image95
    Sue Adamsposted 8 years ago

No offense meant Tess, I'm only trying to figure out why, from a moderator's point of view, this brilliant article may not be featured. So here are 3 points to consider:

1. You may want to delete this entire italic section:
    "My reasoning is that because, one way or another, they earned that money on the backs of others, they should pay most of it back in tax, i.e. 90%. To my mind, anyone who earns under $500,000 per year shouldn’t pay tax at all, anyone who earns between $500,000 and $2 million a year should pay 10% of gross (no exceptions),etc. I would design a tax table like this...

$1 - $500,000 per annum – no tax

$501,000 to $2 million – 10% tax rate on gross income. No deductions.

$2 million to $10 million – 25% tax on gross. No deductions.

$11 million to to $50 million – 60% tax on gross. No deductions.

Above $51 million per annum - 90% tax on gross. No deductions.

In addition, there is a tax on all goods sold, with the exception of good, drink, and homes under a certain price. The more expensive/luxurious the product, the more tax is paid. This means that people with more money will pay most of the tax, and that is the way it should be.

If their income hadn’t been derived on the backs of others, then others would have more and they would have less. Capitalism is a system of unequal exchange in which workers are paid less than they are worth and owners are paid more than they are worth."

Why delete the entire section?
    Because by stating backed up facts only, rather than your personal opinion / manifesto,  your article makes a strong enough case to show the vast injustices of privatisation. Plus, it is long enough without it.

2. Over-use of brackets?
    At the end of this paragraph, you could maybe  use bullet points instead of brackets.

"The goals of business and government differ

..... At basic levels, this would include their safety (preventing invasion and crime), an infrastructure that worked for everybody (roads, bridges, public transport), essential communication (phones, radio, internet), education, medical, etc."

Change to:
    ..... At basic levels, this would include their safety
    . preventing invasion and crime
    An infrastructure that worked for everybody
    . roads
    . bridges
    . public transport
    Essential communication
    . phones
    . radio
    .  internet
    Education
    Health
    . medical
    . pharmaceutical
    . research etc.

3. Check your Poll
    phrases 3, 4, and 5 -  "policy" should be "police".

Hi Sue,

Thank you for all that work. I have copied it and as soon as I get down to checking the article, I will take everything you have said into consideration.

I'm not sure what you mean about my article being overlong. It's quite an average length for most of my articles. Some of my hubs are about 3000 words. On average, my articles are between 1800 and 2200 words, so that's very average.

Thank you for confirming that a moderator 'unfeatured' it. Some months ago, people were talking about unfeatured articles, and I mentioned that all my articles were featured. They always have been. My gutfeel was that someone went to 'unfeature' four of my articles in order to prove a point, and that one was probably unfeatured based on ideology. I'm pretty certain that was the case.

However, I was just making sure...  smile

I have reworded the sentences with the brackets and taken your advice to remove them. You're right. Reads much better. wink

Have corrected the policy to police. Thank you. Obviously a typo, but hardly sufficient reason to unfeature the article.

I'm not sure within myself that I should remove my opinion. Many of my articles are written for a ready readership (I have approximately 800,000 views per month on G+) and these people like my opinion. That said, I'll read through it again, chew on it some more, and perhaps do something about it.

I greatly appreciate your insights. Thank you. smile

3. Sue Adams profile image95
    Sue Adamsposted 8 years ago

Hi Tess,
    You and I share common ground. I didn't say that the article was too long. I meant that it was long enough to afford losing the personal manifesto. I too feel inclined to do that as shown in this extract from

http://hubpages.com/politics/is-the-eur … o-collapse

"Are Governments Duped by Business or Accomplices?

It is now blatantly clear that the powers of the global financial system are elevated far beyond governments. The electorate has been duped into voting for puppets trained and paid by gambling addicts  who have but one single goal: to make more money. Such people have lost all notion of what government functions are:

A government is elected to administer:
    1. infrastructure
    2. education
    3. good health for its citizens
    4. social services for the poor
    5. justice & security
    6. stringent and enforced laws for banks and multinationals

A government is NOT elected to meddle in
    borrowing
    private businesses
    the stock market
    arms deals
    acts of war
    the media"

As it is so close to your ideas, I would be interested in your critique of that article, Tess.

As for opinions, it's hard to refrain. I now believe that it is journalistically more correct to try and stick to facts. That way, the audience may arrive at their own opinion (hopefully similar to the author's) . I.e. lead the reader into formulating thoughts similar to yours. Leave room for thought.

But that's just my "opinion" smile

First my hub, then yours.

I took a look at what I was trying to say, and am in the process of rewriting it so that I am saying things more succinctly. I'll probably finish up tomorrow sometime and let you know. Thanks for your input.

Now to yours..

You said. "So where does the economic revolution begin? To find out more, watch the next video." This is a turn off. Give a short summary of what is in the video or use video to back up what you have said. People generally do not watch videos without having a good idea of what they are about. I never watch videos. I find them too time consuming.

You don't back anything with facts. You need to provide links as you write. I would like to see links to articles that provide back up information - not op ed pieces.

I've written what I think of the article in your comments.

1. Sue Adams profile image95
        Sue Adamsposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Thank you for your feedback. I'll work on it.

I took your suggestions and corrected all of it. I think it works better. Thanks. smile Much appreciated. smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)