Wait Time Reduced for Author Network Site Submissions

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (55 posts)
  1. Christy Kirwan profile image94
    Christy Kirwanposted 7 years ago

Good news! Based on the current rate of article selection, we've decided to shorten the wait period between submitting articles to be considered for our Network Sites. Within the next few days, all authors will have the ability to submit one article per 2 weeks for consideration by our Editors (rather than one article per 60 days). We look forward to reading your submissions! smile

1. chef-de-jour profile image98
      chef-de-jourposted 7 years agoin reply to this

We didn't have to wait long for this new year news. Good timing. Sixty days down to fourteen is some reduction - let's hope you can keep up with the inevitable increase in submissions! All strength to the workforce.

2. EricDockett profile image96
      EricDockettposted 7 years agoin reply to this

That's not good news. That's AWESOME news!

Thank you, HubPages! smile

3. profile image0
      promisemposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Thanks, Christy. When do you expect guidance on the editorial standards for submitting to network sites?

1. Marisa Wright profile image84
        Marisa Wrightposted 7 years agoin reply to this

We've got them, Promisem.  They're spelled out when you make the submission, screen by screen. 

I've had success getting mine moved and have followed the following principles:

1.  I make sure I've followed the essential rules (it may be worth checking out my Hub summarising the rules to make sure you're up with the latest interpretation).

2.  I use callout capsules for headings, instead of the text capsule headings. 

3.  I check the Preview button to make sure the Hub looks good in Mobile view, because that's the view HP puts most stress on.

4.  I try to tick off as many of the "Stellar Hub" boxes as possible - though I do NOT believe in adding polls or maps "just because", I find them irritating!

1. profile image0

I'm afraid I don't agree, Marisa. I'm happy I have had many of my Hubs go to niche sites, but a few others have been rejected for reasons not included on the submission steps or for no reasons at all.

I had the impression from past comments that more standards were coming soon.

Sometimes they are rejected because there are already enough Hubs on that aspect of the topic already on the niche site. I recall a couple of people who had that experience. 

What other reasons were given?

2. DzyMsLizzy profile image85
          DzyMsLizzyposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Marisa, I've so far submitted a single hub for consideration, and it was accepted.  Are you saying that using callout boxes for sub-headings is preferred by HP?  I haven't seen anything of that nature on the site...and I've never done that. 
          I use them sparingly, and as you would normally see them used in print media...

When they did the early HubPro edits, editors seemed to be changing all the MAIN headings into callout capsules. They see to have eased off on them now, so maybe it is less relevant.

3. Venkatachari M profile image83
          Venkatachari Mposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Marisa, I have submitted only one article till now to be included in niche sites "the south Indian dish Rasam" article. It is more than two months and I didn't receive any communication from HP nor did it get selected.

I looked for your Hub but it looks as though it's not even Featured, because I can't find it. 

If you are going to submit a Hub for consideration, then you should submit your most successful Hubs, not ones which are not even Featured!

1. Venkatachari M profile image83

Marisa, I have not given the full title of it. The actual hub is this one.
              http://hubpages.com/food/A-Healthy-side … n-as-Rasam

2. MarieLB profile image75
            MarieLBposted 7 years agoin reply to this

I'm with you there V C.  I submitted one as suggested by HP.  I am still waiting to find out what happens next.

This attitude of "We hold the strings.  You do as you are told" attitude is one aspect of HubPages I do not like.

I have worked for others and I found them far more friendly and communicative.

2. Robin profile image86
        Robinposted 7 years agoin reply to this

The Editorial Policies for each site will be out soon!  We will make an announcement when they are live.  We have a basic Editorial Policy on HubPages, but each site will have its own as well since certain sites have a higher bar, e.g., if they have Your Money or Your Life content.

1. profile image0

Thanks, Robin!

4. kenneth avery profile image80
      kenneth averyposted 7 years agoin reply to this

@ Christy smile
      You do mean hubs, right?
      Did you get to read my emails about a certain hub?

5. DzyMsLizzy profile image85

Christy, are we able to submit/suggest hubs by other hubbers?

1. Christy Kirwan profile image94
        Christy Kirwanposted 7 years agoin reply to this

No, you are only able to submit your own articles for consideration to a Network Site.

1. DzyMsLizzy profile image85

Okay-thanks for the clarification.

6. Max Dalton profile image84
      Max Daltonposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Very cool. Thank you.

7. SakinaNasir53 profile image96
      SakinaNasir53posted 7 years agoin reply to this

Great news! Thank you Christy! smile

8. gerimcclym profile image95
      gerimcclymposted 7 years agoin reply to this

This is wonderful news. Thank you.

9. Kylyssa profile image91
      Kylyssaposted 7 years agoin reply to this

I also heard that HubPages is now allowing and encouraging citing our sources in reversal of the old policy of editing them out. Is this true? Can we celebrate and add the sources back in on our vertical site hubs?

If you are writing medical or health Hubs, yes there does seem to have been a reversal.  They now want such Hubs to be absolutely loaded with references (although note, these are in-text hyperlinks, not a list of references at the end of the Hub).

However, the fundamental rule still applies.   Any links you include must be directly relevant to the TITLE of your Hub.  This means that citations which would be regarded as useful or relevant elsewhere, may not be allowed on HubPages.

For instance, I might be writing a Hub about "Australian Ballet" and explaining the influence of the Ballets Russes in its development.  Anywhere else, I'd provide a link to a site about the Ballets Russes in case people wanted to know more about it.   That's not allowed on HubPages because the Ballets Russes is not related to the title - it's not Australian Ballet, it's Russian Ballet.

1. DzyMsLizzy profile image85

Does that mean I should get rid of the links capsule on my hub about Calaveras Big Trees State Park, in which article I've also included other features and things to do in the area?
          At the end of the hub, I have such a capsule, linking to the particular web pages for each of those other sites.
          Maybe a slight shift in the title would be in order?

If it's an old Hub that hasn't been edited in a while, I wouldn't touch it - unless you are planning to submit it to a niche site. 

If it's a new Hub and it passed QAP recently, then they've accepted it and I wouldn't worry.

2. Venkatachari M profile image83

That's a good guidance provided by you, Marisa. It will be of much help in creating links to our hubs.

10. asifahsankhan profile image59
      asifahsankhanposted 7 years agoin reply to this

That's a really good news. Thank you.  : )

2. Dean Traylor profile image93
    Dean Traylorposted 7 years ago

That's one way to start the year

3. DzyMsLizzy profile image85
    DzyMsLizzyposted 7 years ago

Great news!

1. kenneth avery profile image80
      kenneth averyposted 7 years agoin reply to this

@Dzy, I dearly love Great News! smile

1. Natalie Frank profile image91
        Natalie Frankposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for the great news ! Marissa, this likely seems a stupid question but what do you mean by call out box?

You'll see it's one of the choices when you insert  a capsule.  It was an idea they got from Squidoo.   

Originally, it was intended as a way for you to highlight a key fact. I still use it for that purpose, too, but you can also use it to create more eye-catching headings than the ordinary text capsule headings.

A good example is my Hub on decluttering, which uses callout capsules as headings, but also to highlight key facts.

This feature is new to me also. I used it only for highlighting some key facts. Now, I am aware that I can use it for creating headings within our articles. Thanks for this tip, Marisa.

2. Natalie Frank profile image91
            Natalie Frankposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Thanks once more for your help.  You have have been an incredible support to me in learning this platform and I know I am not alone in this.  I truly appreciate your help and willingness to share your knowledge.

Aw, shucks

4. Will Apse profile image87
    Will Apseposted 7 years ago

Sounds good. I just hope they respect the views of readers and take dwell times seriously. Admittedly, writers can mislead readers, but on the whole, readers are pretty discerning.

5. john000 profile image93
    john000posted 7 years ago

Super news!

6. Purpose Embraced profile image82
    Purpose Embracedposted 7 years ago

This is great new!

7. brianlokker profile image95
    brianlokkerposted 7 years ago

This is great news! My traffic and earnings have definitely increased for most hubs that have been moved to niche sites. I've been marking my calendar to submit an article every 60 days. It will be good to reduce that to every 14 days. At that rate, I may soon run out of existing hubs to submit.

So what about new articles? Do all new articles continue to start out at HubPages and then get moved, or can we submit a new article directly to a niche site?

New articles are automatically considered for the niche sites when they are first published, and if they're suitable, they are moved within the first few weeks after publication.  So it wouldn't make sense to waste your submission privileges on a new Hub, since (if it's good enough) it will be moved automatically.

If a Hub hasn't been moved within a month or so, then it's safe to assume it didn't quite make the grade somehow, so you'll have to improve it before you try submitting it manually.

1. brianlokker profile image95
        brianlokkerposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Thank you, Marisa. So it sounds like HubPages is serving as a hub (forgive the pun) for submitting new articles, and they can't be submitted directly to the niche sites.

There's nothing to stop you submitting them - my point is, why would you?  It's going to get considered for the niche site whether you submit it or not!    You can submit only one Hub every two weeks, why would you waste a submission on a Hub that's already been submitted by the automated process?

1. brianlokker profile image95

I don't think my question is clear. Sorry for the confusion. I'm really just asking whether I can publish a new article directly on a niche site, or whether I have to upload it to HubPages first and wait for the HubPages staff to (hopefully) transfer it to the niche site.

1. Glenn Stok profile image96
              Glenn Stokposted 7 years agoin reply to this

You publish it on HubPages first.

2. Marisa Wright profile image84

As Glenn says, you can't publish to a network site.  You have to publish to HubPages and then hope!

Marisa, I hope you have viewed my reply to your comment on my feed yesterday. I hope my hub is still under consideration.

I think you should check your spam folder. I think it is strange that your Hub has been under consideration for so long.

I always delete the mails from my spam folder each day or in alternate days. So, it is blank always. I should verify if there is any junk mail, which just struck to my mind.

8. LosAngelesSEO1 profile image56
    LosAngelesSEO1posted 7 years ago

great news .....thanks to sharing

9. UnnamedHarald profile image94
    UnnamedHaraldposted 7 years ago

It looks like the change to two-weeks from 60 days is now in effect. I just submitted and, instead of telling me I had to wait until February 7, I was able to continue the submission.

1. Glenn Stok profile image96
      Glenn Stokposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Yep, I just was able to submit one also. I'm marking my calendar for two weeks from today for the next one. I only submit older hubs, most of my new hubs usually get selected automatically within a few days of publishing.

2. brianlokker profile image95

I was able to submit another one too. This is a very positive change!

10. Rafini profile image83
    Rafiniposted 7 years ago

How exciting!  I'm way behind with only two out of sixteen on niche sites and have been eagerly awaiting out sixty days!  (course, got two that could go as soon as they're revised. I just haven't done it yet)

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)