I need feedback for my Medical Hubs, In General

Jump to Last Post 1-3 of 3 discussions (12 posts)
  1. Digital MD profile image86
    Digital MDposted 8 years ago

Hey!

I've wanted to have some feedback on my hubs; it may be on the writing of information, cohesiveness of thought, pictures and videos to ehance understanding of topics.

I have been writing medical hubs. Lately, I have been busy at work so I wanted to have feedback on my writing while I have not published that much yet so I won't waste precious time if I am having gross errors. I have an 80 hour work-week shedule. LOL. Are they too technical? Full of medical jargon? Seemingly incomplete?

I did not put a specific Hub up for review. You guys can comment on any of them, I only have a few.

Dont rip them to shreds too much. big_smile

1. Will Apse profile image88
      Will Apseposted 8 years agoin reply to this

That is a tough thing to ask people to do. Before anyone tries it might be worth telling them what you are trying to achieve.

Are you trying to make some money? Segue into a different career? Share things that you think are important?

Digital MDposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Not much really, i just wanted to write something I see everyday in my workplace. When you just actually live in a hospital setting practically 2/3 of your life (including sleep- if your lucky to even sleep), a breath of fresh air is very welcome. Writing here gives me that. Besides, medical articles (i think) will barely scratch anything close to money or medical career since there are many medical sites out there.

I just want to have some feedback for those who read my hubs.

I have a feeling there is a teacher in you trying to get out. You seem genuinely dedicated to helping others and that stretches to sharing your knowledge (of which you have a great deal).

I reckon you should stick to it, bearing in mind that communicating through writing is not easy and it is a trade that takes a long time to learn.

I am saying this because I felt you slipped between addressing lay people and addressing medical colleagues in tone and level of understanding.

To put it another way, I felt you had not quite sorted out in your mind what your writing was for, just yet.

Also...

One thing about medical articles is that you need to inspire absolute confidence in the reader and that means perfect English, if that is the language you choose to write in (American version if you want many readers)

Your English is excellent but not perfect. For example, your bio (on every page) does not quite make sense, to me at least.

I would think about a proofreader. No disgrace in that. I use one and I am a native English speaker.  When sober, at least, lol.

Anyway, I'm sure other people will have something to say...

Best of luck. HubPages is lucky to have you.

Thank you for your feedback, Will. I do appreaciate it. I think that I have problems when trying to relay the terms and thoughts that non-medical personnel can easily understand. Also, I've been writing those articles in between shifts  or whenever I have time, that's why I think there are some differences in terms of style and voice. There are some days that I start the article after a 36 hour shift (forgive my sleeping-on-the-keyboard language) and finish it the day after.

Writing some articles really need some thorough researching. Even if I practice some, I also have to keep track of the latest updates and the basics back from med school.

Have you ever thought about writing some 'Beginners Guides'?

You need to assume that you are talking to an intelligent person with no prior knowledge of the subject but a great desire to understand.

It is a great discipline. You need to really clarify your thoughts if you are going to help a total beginner. All those case histories that you have at your fingertips would make great building blocks, if explained thoroughly.

Yes, I've been trying to formulate a list of stuff to write and cases that I could use. At this point, you guys can see that I write on different aspects of medicine- ranging from Pedia, OB-GYN, Surgery, Internal Medicine, etc. Some of the cases are from Medschool wherein you rotate on many departments. Others are from colleagues.

From there, I'm planning to make hubs elaborating on important parts (or specific topics maybe)- I was planning a web of hubs linked. As an illustration: HUB 1- Case of a person with Lung Cancer; HUB2- Cancer in General; HUB3- How to Avoid Causes of Lung Cancer, then I'm planning to enmesh them together.
                I was gearing to make those page visitors with prior knowledge without needing more explanation may just read the hub that they prefer and focus on that. Others may use the succeeding hubs to elaborate on other closely related topics/ diseases. Well, that's the general idea.

Sounds good and I hope it works out.

People are always grateful for beginners's guide type writings.

I like the idea of your patient-centered approach, too.

2. Jason Marovich profile image87
    Jason Marovichposted 8 years ago

Will has given you some strong advice.  Here's some more along the same lines:

https://youtu.be/s-G5bH7axag

Jason, Thanks for the link. I am really craving to have some time to write (or at least organize something to write). Making a schedule that works may be one of my top priorities at this point.
      I originally had a conservative goal of having 1-2 hubs a week published.

3. makingamark profile image69
    makingamarkposted 8 years ago

Are you actually a doctor as suggested by your name "Digital MD" or some other sort of health worker?  You might want to think about being a bit more specific about your qualifications to write medical hubs in your profile.

The general issue Google has with health sites is that they need to be written by people qualified to comment. Unless it's a patient providing personal experience of a condition.

I've just tried to find the page where HubPages stipulates its expectations about who writes medical hubs but it seems to have disappeared!

Makingamark, thank you for the reply.

On the integrity of data/hubs-- I am a practicing physician. big_smile Technically a greenhorn, yet I do think I am more than able to convey basic medical education that is worthy of posting. For the consumption of the general populace, that is.

Regarding the articles, I envisioned that the medical hubs that I write will be more of "patient-centered" and focused on the patient’s essentials. One thing I've learned about our practice was that We (as doctors, or any other healthcare worker) seldom see what ACTUALLY matters for patients.  This may be attributed to the sheer number of the cases we handle. We see most of them as cases rather than people and sometimes there are less information conveyed even during patient visits.

If you read my hubs, some feature actual medical cases of which I have had the opportunity of handling. From there, I wanted to convey information about the specific disease or symptoms related to it as grounded as any lay person could understand.

To put it in another way, I will like to convey a summation of two things: 1.) Make the 'too personal/ less professional' articles added to my experiences given the number of patients I see making it more credible 2.) Add the more 'indifferent' side of medicine such as symptoms, diagnosis, jargon, gibberish, jargon-- be more layperson friendly and concise to read. Many articles in the internet can be simply seen as: Intro, Diagnosis, Treatment, and Prognosis- with little respect on the level of understanding of the patients and/or the any random web-surfer that might come pass them.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)