Earnings?

Jump to Last Post 1-20 of 20 discussions (55 posts)
  1. LauraD093 profile image71
    LauraD093posted 8 years ago

I have a question-(if there is a feature for this let me know.) I was wondering what percentage of writers here get pay-outs monthly? I have been here for four years and have never made any money. I've been close several months but never quite hit the mark. That's fine as I have a full-time job and mainly got on hub to learn skills for on-line writing from the best sources which are fellow writers. I understand that some don't like to share this information but just stating yes or no may help newer people to the site to get a general idea of earning potential here.

1. Barbara Kay profile image73
      Barbara Kayposted 8 years agoin reply to this

You need more than 14 hubs to earn money. Try writing more and see what happens. Then again it still might be more worthwhile to put your efforts into something else. It is hard to earn money here right now.

LauraD093posted 8 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for the information Barbara I had well over 14 at one time but pulled many for editing.

2. NateB11 profile image88
      NateB11posted 8 years agoin reply to this

I'll say this much; if you have a fairly big volume of Hubs or you know your SEO, you can make payout every month here. When I say a fairly big volume of Hubs, it depends, but it at least has to be in the neighborhood of a hundred, probably more. If you know SEO, you'd have to have around 50 Hubs, more or less; if you're pretty good, maybe 30 Hubs.

1. lobobrandon profile image87
        lobobrandonposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Haha speak for yourself lol. There was a time when I was surpassing it with just my 10 hubs. Not too distant past either.

lobobrandon, I looked at your hubs and they aren't far off from some of mine. You need to write a hub and share your knowledge and secrets with us.

1. lobobrandon profile image87
            lobobrandonposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I did write hubs in batches on different topics I had either good knowledge in or stuff I wanted to research about and assumed others would want to learn about some day too. From every batch I had around 1 that did considerably well, interlinked them etc. Others that did well but didnt drive traffic to the related articles, I just deleted. In total I may have written nearly 70 - 80 hubs

2. NateB11 profile image88

I believe you. I know some people are savvy and can get very good traffic with not that many Hubs. You have a background that I think gives you an advantage in that regard. It's not really my forte, so what I said applies to people like me who've had to learn this SEO stuff after the fact. I just wanted to write and had knowledge of certain subjects; that's the kind of person my info applies to.

1. NateB11 profile image88

I should add, my main area of expertise gets very little traffic on the Net. So, I wasted loads of time on that before I wised up.

In other words, my main area of expertise is not how to tie a tie or where to find a mesothelioma lawyer. Oh, well, my interests are not that of the masses, what can I say. Kind of proud of that, actually.

And even though SEO, to me, is B O R I N G, I study it a little bit to help me out. But if I had to make it something to study thoroughly, I might have to end my life eventually out of sheer boredom.

3. deecoleworld profile image74
      deecoleworldposted 8 years agoin reply to this

@LauraD093: Ok to answer your question. I have a theory on why some people don't have earnings or achieve payout on HubPages. It involves two points. First about timing and second about the specific content you put out. Timing in terms social media rise in popularity and quality of content. I actually was inspired to write a hub about this topic after looking at your question. I just finished my hub, if you are interested you can read it, its called Can't Reach Payout? Your Timing & Content May Be to Blame, link: <link snipped>

2. Jesse Drzal profile image92
    Jesse Drzalposted 8 years ago

From what I understand, Hubbers are not allowed to talk shop about earnings in the forums.

I wasn't asking for specifics just a general yes or no would have been what I was looking for-and for the record I did not know as I have seen numerous forum topics of people whining about earnings or lack thereof  I was just curious. Thanks for the information.

We can talk about it as long as we don't share actual numbers.

1. psycheskinner profile image83
          psycheskinnerposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Technically "I get paid monthly" would be disclosing something about your payments.

2. Adam Harkus profile image60
      Adam Harkusposted 8 years ago

Oh go on......

3. LauraD093 profile image71
      LauraD093posted 8 years ago

Sorry I thought in free-form you could post about anything. I was just curious I guess this time it "killed my cat!)

4. Adam Harkus profile image60
      Adam Harkusposted 8 years ago

Is there anything in the T&Cs that mentions that you can't discuss earnings?

1. psycheskinner profile image83
        psycheskinnerposted 8 years agoin reply to this

"You acknowledge and agree that You will not publicly disclose Your payments or Earned Balance (including any subcomponents thereof) from the HubPages Earnings Program without prior written consent of HubPages."

1. Adam Harkus profile image60
          Adam Harkusposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Well. There you go. Zip it everyone!!!

1. Jesse Drzal profile image92
            Jesse Drzalposted 8 years agoin reply to this

There's your answer. I've seen you ask this a few times. I was wondering too. Good to know.

2. LauraD093 profile image71

I have never seen anything which is why I asked if there was a place out here covering it. Some folk just get real twitchy about discussing money. Understandable I suppose I just wanted a general idea. Let me know if you see anything in the tutorials.

5. Jesse Drzal profile image92
      Jesse Drzalposted 8 years ago

It would be nice to get proper clarification as far as discussing earnings. I've just seen various members saying don't do it, you can be banned.

6. Jodah profile image92
      Jodahposted 8 years ago

I make payout about twice a year. That's not much but I don't particularly write here for the money.

1. Adam Harkus profile image60
        Adam Harkusposted 8 years agoin reply to this

nooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!

7. Wesman Todd Shaw profile image81
      Wesman Todd Shawposted 8 years ago

I get paid most months. Everyone's earnings are WAY down at present and on the average.  See how I did that? I didn't discuss numbers while answering the question.

My advice is only attempt articles about the things you truly truly care about - that way, your article will likely be good, and you'll put real effort into it to ensure that it is good.

1. Jesse Drzal profile image92
        Jesse Drzalposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Well played, sir. Well played indeed.

8. profile image0
      calculus-geometryposted 8 years ago

Hi Laura, according to your profile page your total views are between 1,000 and 9,999.

http://usercontent1.hubimg.com/12886116.png

With less than 10,000 views in four years it's not surprising that you haven't seen a payout yet.  Without talking specifics, you need a lot more traffic, that's all.

Are you signed up with the HP Ads program or is your account running Google Adsense only?  The former pays better for most people.

9. agilitymach profile image92
      agilitymachposted 8 years ago

My earnings have remained stable over the last few years.  What I like is that I do the hard work on a Hub, and then it sits and makes money for me without me having to do anything.  Every few years, I go in and do an edit for new features (like the increase in mobile devices), SEO changes or new editing features added to HP.  Otherwise, it just sits and earns me money.

Over the years, my best Hubs have earned far more than I could get writing for my sport's national magazine, which I have done.  So...writing here works for me.

I am hopeful the new niche sites will increase that income somewhat.

10. relache profile image71
      relacheposted 8 years ago

Laura,

Within the last week or so, HubPages admin mentioned that they have edited 3000 Hubs with their HubPro service, and those Hubs account for 41% of the search engine traffic.  Those 3000 Hubs represent just under one half of one percent of the total content on he site,

Very few people are earning anything at this time, but the bulk of whatever it is comes from that small pool of Hubs.

1. agilitymach profile image92
        agilitymachposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Wowza.  Interesting stats.

11. Paul Kuehn profile image94
      Paul Kuehnposted 8 years ago

Since December of 2015, my earnings have been going to south and decreasing more month by month.  I have been on HP for just about five years and never have received a payout for just one month.  For the record, I have 167 hubs.

1. kmackey32 profile image62
        kmackey32posted 8 years agoin reply to this

That's odd with so many hubs. I do most months...

1. Jodah profile image92
          Jodahposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Wow, with only five featured hubs I find it amazing that you make payout most months. I have 249 featured hubs and have never received payout more than twice in a year. I'm in the same boat as Paul I'm afraid.

Wow, I cant believe that.....Although some of my hubs are not featured I receive lots of traffic from places like pinterest. Winter months - every month. Summer - not so much...

1. Jodah profile image92

I'll have to check your hubs knackey32, and maybe get some tips smile

No I'm not that good...Just a couple lucky ones lol... I need to go through some of these old ones that have been sitting there for years. I probably wrote them when I used to drink...haha

2. Marisa Wright profile image85
              Marisa Wrightposted 8 years agoin reply to this

It's completely believable, kmackey.  How many Hubs you have isn't relevant (especially now we don't have sub-domains).   It's what you write about that matters - and even then you can go wrong, if you don't know how to choose the right titles.

I wrote a Hub about how to optimize your Hubs which would be relevant to Paul, I wrote it for someone else who had the same problem.

1. sallybea profile image93
                sallybeaposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Getting the titles does seem to me to be all important.
                I have altered several recently and their views have increased quite dramatically.
                When I looked at them, I wondered why I had tried to be  'clever or smart' instead of just saying what the hub was about.

2. kmackey32 profile image62

I went and edited some of the titles on the old ones that used to get tons of traffic and now get none. I remember when hubpages used to recommend titles for more traffic.. I must of had title tardness or something. Ha

1. Marisa Wright profile image85
                  Marisa Wrightposted 8 years agoin reply to this

The question is, what did you base your title changes on?   Did you make them more descriptive, or di did you make them more "catchy"?   Did you change the wording dramatically or just slightly?

If you changed the titles and they lost traffic then the sensible thing is to change them back again.

2. FatFreddysCat profile image93
        FatFreddysCatposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Sounds like we're in the same boat. I will be here five years in April 2016, I have roughly the same amount of Hubs as you do, and if I'm lucky I get a payout twice a year.

Pretty much, yup. Unfortunately I have absolutely no SEO skills whatsoever.

I tried to learn/play the SEO game when I first started writing here, but eventually I had to accept that I sucked at it...so I stopped giving a @#$% about it (haha).

Now I write stuff, throw it out there, and if the Internet likes it, great. If not, then I write another piece and try again.

It may not be the most profitable way to do things 'round here but it's a whole lot less stressful.

12. NateB11 profile image88
      NateB11posted 8 years ago

One thing I can tell you: Using proper grammar and being a good writer has nothing to do with it. Some of the worst writers on the Net are claiming to be getting loads of traffic and making money. It's purely a matter of SEO and sales tricks.

1. Jodah profile image92

This is so true.

13. Kylyssa profile image91
      Kylyssaposted 8 years ago

I have yet to miss one.

14. kmackey32 profile image62
      kmackey32posted 8 years ago

Well I can say my titles where loong, had way to many words. I don't remember the titles I originally gave them years ago but I do know they needed changed with no traffic in years..

15. Layerform profile image60
      Layerformposted 8 years ago

To be honest Im not really sure.

16. Allain Christmas profile image90
      Allain Christmasposted 8 years ago

I made thousands of dollars when my pages were on Squidoo and I also made good money back in the day when eHow had a Writer's Compensation Program. Now, on Hubpages, I don't always make monthly pay-out. I don't think the site is really geared to solid earnings.

I've made those kind of earning over the 5 years I've been here. Earnings seem to get worse every year and I now don't earn a lot. I'm hoping that their new niche sites work out.

17. Marla Neogra profile image77
      Marla Neograposted 8 years ago

I used to get payouts every couple months but have not been very active lately. Payouts have not been huge, usually about $50 every 2 or 3 months at my most active time. Do a hub a day for 30 days and shoot for being previewed on at least 20-25 of those. Follow the guidelines at right side for best results.

18. profile image0
      Bronwyn Joy Ellioposted 8 years ago

Pay out?

1. Jodah profile image92

You reach pay-out when your account accumulates $50.00 Bronwyn. Then it automatically goes into your Paypal account.

1. profile image0
          Bronwyn Joy Ellioposted 8 years agoin reply to this

smile

19. kmackey32 profile image62
      kmackey32posted 8 years ago

Does anyone else have a hub that is not featured and has a low score yet gets alot of traffic?

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
    Necessary
    HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
    LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
    Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
    AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
    Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
    CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
    Features
    Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
    Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
    Marketing
    Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
    Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
    Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
    Statistics
    Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
    ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
    ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)