who sees our Hubs?

Jump to Last Post 1-15 of 15 discussions (45 posts)
  1. jennifer maurer profile image68
    jennifer maurerposted 15 years ago

Forgive me if this is a stupid question. I've only discovered this fine sight two days ago. I've published two hubs in that time frame, and I'm still trying to get my brain around how all of this works. I am approved with adsense and amazon and have their codes in my "affiliate" section.Does this mean that because they show up as "active", that I don't have to manually put anything onto my hubs before publishing. I am assuming that any hub I publish will be tracked for revenue by these two affiliates.
    Secondly, who exactly sees what we publish? I assume, again, that it's not just the viewers on Hubpages. So how do the "general population" find these articles if they don't know to go to Hubpages.com? Again, this may seem stupid, but I would really appreciate someone explaining this to me....

Thanks so much!

1. JamaGenee profile image78
      JamaGeneeposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Jennifer, if you have the Adsense and Amazon codes in your affiliate section, you *will* have to add one or more Amazon capsules to any hub you wish to display products relevant to that hub that are available at Amazon. 

But you don't have to do anything for Adsense - they put the ads on your hubs.  Clicks on either  will be automatically tracked.

2. profile image0
    TheSandmanposted 15 years ago

HI Jennifer,

This is going to be of no help except to let you know you are not alone in y9our befuddlement, I have been here two months and still do not know how the thing works, I do know tha it is one of the most respect Hub Site, but I also know that s for how it works, (0% of the people I talk to have no Idea so join the befuddlement Crew. To me at this point it seems we do it because we love it and as all artist do ;live in frustration and befuddlement about the machine

jennifer maurerposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Yikes! Well, I'm going to keep digging.
      Thanks, Sandman

3. SweetiePie profile image84
    SweetiePieposted 15 years ago

People can find your hubs by searching on google and yahoo and various other search engine.  Here is a trick you can try:

Copy one paragraph of your hub into google.com and hit the search button.  If your hub is already indexed with google your hub should show up in the search results.

thanks, SweetiePie. Not sure if this is the same thing or not, but I typed some keywords I used on my hubs into google search and I didn't find any evidence of either article. However, if I google my name, my hubpage link comes up. I want to know that the general internet public can find my articles by keyword, I'm obviously not well known enough for them to search my work by name...YET!, he he

1. SweetiePie profile image84
        SweetiePieposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Yes, people can find your hubs by keywords.  Do you have a wordpress.com or blogger.com blog.  I use several blogs to also promote my hubs, which gives more backlinks.

2. JamaGenee profile image78

Seriously now... It takes awhile for Google's spiders to find a hub.  Unless your keywords are unique *and* words people will type into the search box, your hubs won't come up immediately.  Just be patient.

SPIDERS? do we really have to bring insects into it!! Just kidding. Again, I'm showing my newness here. I know just enough to be dangerous at this point. But I will heed your advise and be patient. Thanks for the info-

4. profile image0

I suggest that we all strip Naked and run through Hollywood with give us a break Hub Pages written across our... now that would be exposure, Pun intended and WHAT ABOUT THE TRAFFIC WE WOULD GET FOR OUR PAGES ..I think this would be awsome

Oh, lordy...it must be Friday night.  Ooops, it's 2 a.m. Sat on the North Shore.  Even worse.

Yikes, again! Seems like they ought to be paying US for doing that. Imagine the free publicity for Hubpages.com!! I'll be we'd get our break then!

Jennifer, the thing ya need to know about Sandman is this is the time of night when he'll suggest getting naked and running through *any* city with Hub Pages written across our patooties!
          (Love ya, SM) cool

5. profile image0

Actually it's 1:14 on the East cost, and I know I made a semi rude remark but the bottom line is, you can have the best product in the world and if no one knows you have it, then it doesn't matter, I spent 40 years in radio and TV as a talent and I had to perform in order for the sales guys to make money, and te stations had 5to promote me etc etc  , anyway etc etc...running naked was an exaggeration, though it could be fun

LOL, you, my new friend, are fun- -and I get your point. The writing part comes easy for me, it's the promotional part I'm not savy on...Just look at my profile. 2 days new, 2 hubs and no fans sad  But I am persistant and very very grateful for everyone's support. (and the Sandman's clever and amusing comments!)

Tomorrow is another day! The best to you all-

Well, the -0- fans part was easy enough to fix! (May I suggest you add "partridge family" and "monkees" to your tags?)

Again, still working on all this. Haven't gotten to "tags" yet. I"ll figure it out though...

Tags are same as keywords and are shown in a column at the right in each hub.

OK, so do I "tag" at the same time I choose my keywords then?

2. jennifer maurer profile image68
  6. profile image0

Hey here is a though, make your key words , Naked,Sex, open Marriage, orgies, and then write about growing your own garden

How about "running naked through your garden" ??? click....click...click......

1. profile image0
        TheSandmanposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Is that an offer ? :-)

JamaGenee was right about you , I see! How late is it??? Somebody get me a drink! smile

2. JamaGenee profile image78

Sandman, keywords *must* be relate to the hub, you silly!  Okay, plants don't wear clothes, pollination *could* be called "sex", but somehow somehow I think the hub would still get flagged. cool

7. profile image0

Point being that certain key words draw attention, make them creative,

I noticed that the "suggested" keywords that hubpages offers are quite good...I've also used some of those.

1. profile image0
        TheSandmanposted 15 years agoin reply to this

sure use those I do,but remember the search engines robots are looking for the unique, the unusually do wacky do etc, I am far from an expert on this as as any of my dear friend here on Hub pages can tell you, but I am an expert on drawing attention to what you are doing. I have often thought I could create a BOOK. PUT A PICTURE OF A NAKED WOMAN ON THE COVER, AN NOT A WORD INSIDE AND IT WOULD SELL A MILLION COPIES

Your probably right...I know several men off the top of my head that would buy it! But when you suggest using keywords that are "unique", don't you run the risk of noone coming up with them since they are so uncommon when doing a search? You usually key in the first "common" word you're thinking of to describe the topic you're looking for.

8. profile image0

OK I HAVE BEEN EXAGGERATING, but the point I have been trying to make is, if you want to write a Hub about growing Carrots, you would not say, : How to grow Carrots" , you might say how to make a Rabbit Happy, Bringing up..the garden, Nothing like a Big carrot..do you see what I'm trying to say

Aha! Now I get it! Here's where I get confused though. Where would "How to Make a Rabbit Happy" show up? When someone types in "carrots"? That's seems to be more of a {very effective} title for a hub, for sure. But keywords direct you to the articles, no?

Right. The other trick is to use words from the title *at least* 2 or 3 times in the first paragraph.  Google spiders like that.

9. profile image0

PS..Jamie has a dirty mind. Mybe LOL

haha, Sandman. And it's JAMA... cool

10. profile image0

Jennifer you still there?

11. profile image0

I just joined you fan club..because I like your hub not not because I like you, which I do, now the answer to your question., How about Rabbits Like Big Carrots,  It gets attention,you really have to hit people between the eyes in one way or another, Rabbits like it Big, whatever,

"Rabbits like it big"....?  LOL...we may be getting into flag territory again smile

Thanks for joining my fan club and for the reason you joined!

I like BOTH your hubs very much.  Don't be afraid to play around with the capsules.  Several text capsules are better than one long one, because you'll be able to add at least one photo to each, which ups your score.  Same for videos, etc. Higher scores a higher ranking in Google and better ads from Adsense.

12. Lissie profile image75
    Lissieposted 15 years ago

OK getting back to serious -  if you keywords are "guiding your kids thru an economic crises" you are #1 in my datacentre (it varies a bit around the world) That's probably because you are the only page on the whole internet with that phrase in your title - try the title with quotes to confirm this.

Also therefore likely that there are few people actually searching for the term - but its a definite start...

13. profile image0

Also do not be afraid to relax and let it go, your a writer first and foremost, you are not married to Hub Pages

Now that's great advise! I am looking forward to playing around with the format of the hubs etc... like you suggested. I guess I need to just keep writing and experimenting with the formats like uploading pics etc...all that I still have to figure out. It's nice to have someone with your ranking and obvious experience to learn from, also. I really appreciate all of your feedback...
      I can't wait to check out some of your work. I'm sure I'll get some valuable insight from that as well.

14. Mezo profile image60
    Mezoposted 15 years ago

Hi there Jennifer...the best source for traffic is going to be difinitely from search engines, you have to predict "what people will type in the search box when they search for this topic?", study these "keywords" and mention them in the title and inside your hub in a natural way, not just repeating it meaninglessly.

Also, you should use long-term keywords so that your hub will appear for people searching for THIS exact topic, i.e. It's very hard to rank good in search engines for a keyword like "money"..thousands of competitors...but you can rank for a longer keyword like "how to make money with hubpages", things like that..

Read these hubs, they are so informative:

http://hubpages.com/hub/Rank-Your-Hub-I … ch-Engines
    a great hub by Lissie

http://hubpages.com/hub/How-To-Create-A … ly-HubPage

and of course this is called SEO (Search Engine Optimization)

smile

15. lindagoffigan profile image58
    lindagoffiganposted 15 years ago

Sweetie Pie, great suggestion to google a paragraph of your hubpage to see if Google indexed it.  Also great advice about promoting hubpages on WordPress and Blogspot which I have been a little laxed on.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)