I'm supposed to help you make WHAT by Wednesday?!?!

Jump to Last Post 1-16 of 16 discussions (24 posts)
  1. Laughing Mom profile image60
    Laughing Momposted 15 years ago

My daughter came home from a slumber party a few minutes ago and infomed me that we have to make a replica of the Greek Parthenon by Wednesday.  Yes, you heard me right, Wednesday.
    Does anyone else have a kid whose made this same request?  I'm looking for ideas on materials to use.

2. JamaGenee profile image79
    JamaGeneeposted 15 years ago

Good luck!

ROTFL! http://www.freewebby.com/happy-smilies/24.gif

3. Colebabie profile image59
    Colebabieposted 15 years ago

Paper towel and toilet paper rolls? then a cardboard box cut out for the roof. You can paint them all an off white color, or buy the crackle spray paint that makes it look old.

Laughing Momposted 15 years agoin reply to this

I'm loving the crackle paint idea!!

4. JamaGenee profile image79
    JamaGeneeposted 15 years ago

You didn't say how big it has to be.

Be sure to take notes and pics, and we'll look forward to the hub on Thursday! cool

5. Laughing Mom profile image60

That's exactly what my daughter said, colebabie! I guess I'd better start having the toddler pull his 'put the end of the t.p.  in the toilet and flush prank again!! LOL!
    Actually, I think that will make it too big. We found some pillars used for holding cakes. But now she's wanting to make it edible. Ack!!!

6. Colebabie profile image59

You can get dowels at Home Depot or Lowes, that would make it pretty easy. They come in different thicknesses. To make it edible... hmm. Gingerbread is the only thing I can think of. Frosting for glue. The pillars could be made of Toblerone.... just kidding. smile

Those are great ideas!  You've done this before, haven't you? The last minute business is testing my patience!!

Toblerone!! LOL!!

7. Colebabie profile image59

Oh I have done many school projects! Let me know how it goes! There are also those stick candies that they have at Cracker Barrel, like candy canes without the hook part, those may work smile

I never pass up am excuse to go to Cracker Barrel. Apple dumplings! Yum!!
      :-)

8. Colebabie profile image59

Shopping and food?? You know a woman had something to do with it.

9. Colebabie profile image59

Ok.. another idea. Sorry my brain just works this way... those pretzel rods... dipped in white chocolate. Totally do-able! I hope I still have crazy ideas when I have kids. smile

That's a perfect idea!
      Oh, we'll remind you of your good ideas, because your brain goes bit by bit once you have little ones!! :-)

2. Laughing Mom profile image60

Actually, you should write a hub about various and miscellaneous ideas so you can come back to it. Or we can borrow them. Ha ha! Ulterior motive at work!

10. Laughing Mom profile image60

So true, Colebabie! And not the foo-foo food, either. The hearty, stick-to-your-ribs kinda stuff a man likes. There's a reason for that. Fill him up with good food and he'll sit in the rocker out front while your shopping!  Genius, I say!

11. Colebabie profile image59

Ok fair deal! smile

12. Colebabie profile image59

Haha very good idea. I keep a list of things that I want to do in life. A list of things that make me happy. And a list of things I often wonder about. smile A list of my brilliant arts and crafts ideas should be another.

1) Pretzel rods dipped in white chocolate for future child's Greek Parthenon project. Note: Can also be used to create the White House for the chapter on the U.S. Government. smile

Now I'm excited to have another good one to read! LOL! You are hilarious!!

13. Lisa HW profile image63
    Lisa HWposted 15 years ago

Here's a link:

http://www.nashville.gov/Parthenon/pdfs/Pre-K-3.pdf   You have to scroll down, but eventually you get to some tips about cardboard and cylinders.

Here's one that looks a little more complicated (maybe)

http://www.aiaphila.org/aie/new-stuff/c … _Sp97.html

I'm wondering if the cardboard/poster board approach to start out with is best; but then if you find some kind of appropriate looking wrapping paper and covering it (either each piece before assembling, or the whole thing after assembling) might work.

Spray painting the whole business after it's assembled might work too.

I've been on that Nashville site a dozen times to inspire ideas, bit I never scrolled down far enough to see the cardboard ideas. Thanks, Lisa!!!!!!!!

14. cindyvine profile image70
    cindyvineposted 15 years ago

That's much easier than having to mummify a chicken during an ancient Egyptian unit!

15. Paraglider profile image87
    Paragliderposted 15 years ago

Seems to me a pack of cigarettes is the answer - ready made columns and nice stiff card for the roof. What do you mean, not very PC...  smile

1. Sufidreamer profile image80
      Sufidreamerposted 15 years agoin reply to this

http://www.bbc.co.uk/606/2/refresh/images/smileys/f_laugh.gif

The Parthenon, sponsored by Marlboro.

Mind you, smoking is practically a religion here, so that is strangely appropriate.

16. profile image0
    Janettaposted 15 years ago

Ok, so I don't know what her rules are on size and materials (if there even are any) but way back when smile when I was in HS, a classmate made an extra credit project for Animal Farm-- she just made a round cake, covered it in green (for grass) icing and used decorative icing tips to cover the top in grass like pattern. She used plastic toy animals and a little barn on top. It sounds cheesy, but she made it look pretty cool. She got a great grade and we all got to eat it, which was good too smile U could do the same thing with white icing and just make a few archtiectual looking pieces to stick on the front or sides. (The cake itself could be the mainstructure of the building??) It's just a thought. Might make the whole thing a little easier on you too. Thank God my boys are too little for school projects just yet!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)