jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (11 posts)

Unique Slug

1. tlcs profile image80
    tlcsposted 18 months ago

Can anyone help me please. I went to create a new hub and notice that after the title there is another box asking for a unique slug for the hub. Can anyone help with this as this is the first time I have come across this box since writing my last hub.
    Please explain what I need to put in that box. Hopefully I have explained my query ok.

1. Christy Kirwan profile image
      Christy Kirwanposted 18 months agoin reply to this

You can use the same title as other Hubbers to create an article on HubPages, but you can not use the same URL, so it's likely that the title you are typing in represents a URL that has already been used. You should just change the words slightly for the slug while making sure they still make sense and still relate to the Hub's title directly until you find one that has not already been claimed.

For example, if you desired title is "Long Haired Cat Grooming Tips for Newbies," and the slug is already taken, you might change it to "long-haired-cat-grooming-tips-for-beginners" or something else the conveys the same idea with slightly different words. Hope that helps!

1. tlcs profile image80
        tlcsposted 18 months agoin reply to this

ahh, thanks Christy Ill give it a go and get back to you if I get stuck, think I understand now. I think...

2. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image93
      TIMETRAVELER2posted 18 months agoin reply to this

I see that the team is helping you with this question, and it's a good thing, because I have never seen that slug thing myself and would not have been able to answer your query. 

I do know that sometimes you have to change a title in order to get it to work.

http://coschedule.com/headline-analyzer  This is a great URL for finding title help and is fun and easy to use.  Give it a try.  Mine have been much better since I've been using it.

Good luck.

2. tlcs profile image80
    tlcsposted 18 months ago

So still confused...
    My hub title may be Valentino Rossi wins at Jerez in Moto GP
    Forgive me but not sure what I put in the next box do I have to put
    the same title in that box?
    Sorry I need a noddies guide please!

It should appear automatically and only give you a message if that URL is already taken.

1. tlcs profile image80
        tlcsposted 18 months agoin reply to this

When I go to create a hub is is directly under the title box before I even start typing it is asking me for a unique slug. Do you think it shouldnt be there?

Can you show me a screenshot of what you're seeing?

3. paradigmsearch profile image85
    paradigmsearchposted 18 months ago

scrap.

4. tlcs profile image80
    tlcsposted 18 months ago

Hi, so I have written my hub eventually! I think what the problem was is that I am typing on my tablet not my computer, and, in the unique slug I was copying the suggestion and then putting in the name of my title.
    For example, the name of the hub is Valentino Rossi wins at Jerez
    Then it wanted me to give it a slug
    So I finally after a few attempts just put in Valentino-Rossi-wins-at-Jerez
    All of a sudden it accepted it. So thank you all for your help. Got there in the end!

Ah, glad to hear it!

working