This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: "https://hubpages.com/privacy-policy#gdpr"

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (11 posts)

Unfeatured Hub

1. William F. Torpey profile image77
    William F. Torpeyposted 23 months ago

HubPages has unfeatured my hub titled "History Often Depends on Who Writes It" obviously because of links they allege are unrelated to the topic. I vehemently disagree with that assessment. I therefore will not unlink it. In fact I've added a similar link that I should have included in the hub. I believe I understand why they think the links are unrelated, but the fact is that any new reader would wonder why I mention the names of Bing Crosby and Errol Flynn. These two links are necessary for any reader to understand who these people are and why link their names to this hub. HubPages should review their decision, approve of the links and feature the hub (It has been featured for years!)

1. theraggededge profile image100
      theraggededgeposted 23 months agoin reply to this

It seems to be policy that Hubpages wants articles to be complete, i.e. not depend on the reader leaving the site for vital information. Can't you add the relevant details to your hub?

1. jackclee lm profile image81
        jackclee lmposted 23 months agoin reply to this

Don't take it personally. HP regularly will unfeature hubs due to lack of traffic. All you need to do is edit it with a small change and save. It will become featured again in a day.

William F. Torpeyposted 23 months agoin reply to this

Thanks for commenting, jackclee. I have made edits on other hubs that thus became featured, but when I edited my "History" hub by adding the Errol Flynn link the hub remained unfeatured -- as it remains today. (See my response to theraggededge below.)

2. William F. Torpey profile image77

Thanks for your response, theraggededge. No, I can't add the relevant details to the hub. When I wrote this piece in 1999 I believe virtually everyone reading it would know all about Bing Crosby and Errol Flynn. But that was 17 years ago. I don't think many young people today would know much -- if anything -- about these well known celebrities. That's why the links are appropriate (and necessary.) To add the relative details about Bing Crosby and Errol Flynn would absolutely be off topic.

2. profile image0
    calculus-geometryposted 23 months ago

Here's the problem, the hub has seven external links, six of which HubPages probably considers low-quality/promotional/irrelevant

Amazon - overly promotional and irrelevant by HP's definition

personal blog #1 - promotional

wikianswers - low-quality and irrelevant

personal blog #2 - promotional

wikipedia - probably fine

your HP profile - irrelevant

thehour - promotional because you made it explicit that you have a connection to the website and linked to its homepage rather than citing a specific article.  if you want to promote your other web endeavors you can't  be  so overt about it. i've seen many hubbers getting away with it because they do it cleverly.

HP is allergic to anything that even seems promotional and it's a losing game to try to convince the mods your links aren't self-serving.  I got a few "your hub has been snipped" emails referencing the snipped links as my personal sites and not one of them was a site  of mine!

Best of luck with it whatever you decide to do with it.

3. William F. Torpey profile image77

Thank you very much calculus-geometry for your thoughtful response to my question. I understand completely that HubPages thinks my links are self-promotion --- but the 7 links you refer to are, I believe, necessary for any reader today to know what I'm writing about. The content of this hub was written 17 years ago so I am sure the majority of young readers will not understand what I'm writing about without the help of the link. Bing Crosby, for instance, was the most popular singer/actor/entertainer of his era, but I can assure you (and HubPages) that many readers today will not understand my reference to him without my link explaining who Crosby was. I am not interested in making pennies on HubPages so I assure you (and HubPages) that the links I've used are for information -- not promotion.

1. profile image0
      calculus-geometryposted 23 months agoin reply to this

It looks like you took out some of the links I pointed out.  Did it pass?

While I made a few changes on my links to assuage HubPages, calculus-geometry I think my original links to my blog better served the reader than the link I replaced it with from Wikipedia. Nevertheless the hub has been featured again. Thank you for your help and your interest.

4. Will Apse profile image91
    Will Apseposted 23 months ago

The editors are terribly hard working, you know, and conditions are not always perfect....

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/13104775_f520.jpg

5. William F. Torpey profile image77

I'm sure the editors are hard working, will apse. I understand why they might have thought my links were promotional (more often than not such links are overly promotional.) But it would make more sense for the editors to discuss the issue with the writer before jumping to conclusions. Anyone who reads my hub (written long before it appeared on HubPages) would not understand my concluding sentence unless they knew who Errol Flynn and Bing Crosby were and why I made reference to them. The links are there to provide the reader with important information --- not for purposes of promotion. Incidentally, I see the symbol that the hub is being looked at. I trust the editors will make the right decision.

working