Word Count and other stuff

Jump to Last Post 1-13 of 13 discussions (21 posts)
  1. profile image60
    Roohi Khanposted 14 years ago

I am new here and just joined a few days back.

I was wondering if there is a minimum or maximum word count limit on hub pages.

I also wanted to know what these �insert custom character�, superscript and subscript links in the text capsule mean?

I hope someone out there can help me.

Thanks,

Roohi

2. profile image0
    multimasteryposted 14 years ago

Good question about word count- and I don't think there is a limit.  However, if your hub gets extremely long and swaying off topic, it may be better to continue on with a new hub.

And about that script stuff I have never used it.  Guess I have been wondering what it meant too in the back of my mind.  Perhaps someone else can answer that question for the both if us.

1. profile image60
      Roohi Khanposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for the suggestion. I will definitely try to stay on topic and try not make it too long.

3. Marisa Wright profile image87
    Marisa Wrightposted 14 years ago

It's important to write a thorough Hub, which probably means more than 400 words.  However, it's generally accepted that on the internet, people lose interest at about 1,500 words.

1. profile image60

Well, I have been keeping it around 500 to 800 words. So, I guess I should be fine there. Thanks for the suggestion!

4. Misha profile image62
    Mishaposted 14 years ago

I believe the lower limit for hubpages is 250 words, below that hub is considered substandard.

1. profile image60

I agree. One does need about 250 to 300 words to give some useful information. Thanks!

5. profile image0
    shreekrishnaposted 14 years ago

i have seen that ,

few of the hubs not contain any words ,

with videos or pictures ,

did they obey the hp tos.

& this is true what mish has written.

1. profile image60

So, I guess text is not important. You can just include pictures? Is that allowed?

1. profile image0
        shreekrishnaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

hey ,
        i am asking this only.
        i have seen such hubs.

6. Justin Rhinehart profile image59
    Justin Rhinehartposted 14 years ago

To convey your message, you're generally going to need more than 250 words.  If you're going to have over 1,000 word hubs, it's better to have pictures and different sections of text.  Many people will fly over longer articles looking for something to grab them, so if you can draw the reader in with sub-titles, you've got it made.

1. profile image60

I agree subtitles can indeed grab the reader's attention. But how do you get pictures?

7. Janet21 profile image81
    Janet21posted 14 years ago

Here is a post I made awhile back that contains some information that you may find useful regarding hub length.
    http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/13282

As far as hubs with mostly photos and very little content, I don't get those either. But, there are tons of them here.

8. Whitney05 profile image83
    Whitney05posted 14 years ago

It's not necessarily against TOS to have few words, but it is just considered substandard. Search engines will pick you up faster with ore than 250 words. But, as mentioned, just be leery of having too many words. I'd stay between 440 and 1500 words as best as you can.

The picture hubs, I've heard get good traffic but don't get good clicks because people just want to see the pictures, and don't usually care to venture off much.

9. LondonGirl profile image81
    LondonGirlposted 14 years ago

Most of my 3,000 to 4,000 word hubs are getting good traffic (and good clicks)

10. JoeM profile image59
    JoeMposted 14 years ago

The more content you can put on a hub (text and pictures mostly) the more search engines will like your hub.  But you also want to do a lot of the things that people here have mentioned about formatting to make sure that the readers of your pages have a good experience on your extremely informative and useful hub.

11. Dame Scribe profile image57
    Dame Scribeposted 14 years ago

I have a bad habit of taking and writing info in point form and short hand lol I have had to relearn to write out my thoughts wink I have traffic so suppose I am doin alright but yes, I would recommend a minimum of 250 - 300 words.

12. profile image60
    Roohi Khanposted 14 years ago

I have indeed received quite a lot of useful suggestions from you all here about word count and I will definitely keep them in mind for my future hubs. Thanks to everyone who has posted a response.

But what about about those links in the text capsule. "Insert custom character". Subscript. Superscript. Does anyone have any idea about they mean?

1. JamaGenee profile image78
      JamaGeneeposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Subscript means the character or word hi-lited will be half a line lower than the word before it.  Superscript means the selected character or word will be half a line higher.  Think mathematical equations like x2 (x squared) or elements (like H2O).
      That's what sub- and superscript are used for, also footnote numbering.

Best way to see what they do is just play with it.

1. profile image60

Thanks for the suggestion. Will indeed try and play around.

13. Dame Scribe profile image57
    Dame Scribeposted 14 years ago

I think when you highlight a word and use that superscript it will show up as...script? hmm I really have no idea... never used it really lol lol

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)