jump to last post 1-2 of 2 discussions (10 posts)

What is the difference between a Question and a Forum?

1. jackclee lm profile image73
    jackclee lmposted 7 months ago

This is always a mystery for me. Why does HubPages offer both a Question and a Forum when the two are interchageable for the most part?
    The Question also have a limitation of 250 char. For followup responses, not enough to fully explain answers or responses to question.
    Thus, unless someone can present a lucid explanation, I propose for all future discussions and questions be conducted in a Forum format.
    - A well meaning hubber.

1. SimeyC profile image89
      SimeyCposted 7 months ago in reply to this

There's an official answer to this in the FAQ:

http://hubpages.com/faq/#questions

jackclee lmposted 7 months ago in reply to this

Thanks for the link - Here is the Full Text.

What kind of Questions am I allowed to ask?
        The Answers section of HubPages is intended to inspire high quality articles and give people the option to post short, helpful answers to assist you in creating an article.

It is not intended for moderation issues, technical issues, or any other inquiries that require the response of HP staff. Please post these in the Forums or via our Help system.

If you want to direct a question at a specific Hubber, please contact that Hubber via his/her Profile page (by sending them an email) and not by posting a Question. To do so, navigate to his/her profile, click on Fan Mail, and then click "Send [username] an email". Questions are public and available for anyone in the HubPages community to comment on.

All questions must meet the HubPages' Terms of Use. Keep your question short and specific, and use the additional details field to provide more information. Good examples include:

When is a good time to visit Vietnam and why?
        What are important things to ask when buying a used guitar?
        We strongly encourage people to ask Questions that:

Require a factual Answer with useful information.
        Have the potential to lead to an interesting, informative Hub.
        Stray away from opinion and yes/no subjects (e.g. What's your favorite color?).
        If you just want to make friendly conversation, please visit our Community News Forum instead.

Please see this FAQ entry for technical problems.

If you have questions specifically related to HubPages, please ask it in the Getting Help for HubPages Forum.

2. Sherry Hewins profile image95
      Sherry Hewinsposted 7 months ago in reply to this

I have had questions rejected because HP said they were more to create a discussion than to get an answer. So, the forum is for discussions.

It used to be that they were trying to get questions to be things that would inspire people to write hubs. It doesn't seem like that really worked though.

3. profile image0
      calculus-geometryposted 7 months ago in reply to this

The official distinction is not consistently enforced any more, years ago the two were noticeably different. Now it seems when people are banned from Q&A they just take their act to the forums, and vice versa. I think mods have forgotten the difference too. Q&A supposedly generates earnings for the person who asks the question, but it must be very little compared to what you can earn for writing an article.

Even more reason to get rid of the Question/Answers...

1. Marisa Wright profile image92
          Marisa Wrightposted 7 months ago in reply to this

People have been suggesting getting rid of the Q&A section for years because it has never worked properly.

Let's all just do it on our own. If we stop using it, it will die on its own.

1. sallybea profile image98
              sallybeaposted 7 months ago in reply to this

I think it is a good idea to keep it.  You can earn from questions, at least that is my understanding.

2. Marisa Wright profile image92
    Marisa Wrightposted 7 months ago

Yes and no. There is one Adsense ad you can earn from, but questions are marked "no follow" once they stop getting replies, so they soon stop getting traffic. Therefore the earnings potential is minuscule..

working