jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (7 posts)

Tough day on CPM street

1. Jesse Drzal profile image87
    Jesse Drzalposted 7 months ago

Anyone else have CPM drop off with increased views? The more views the more it drops.

1. WryLilt profile image88
      WryLiltposted 7 months ago in reply to this

Check in Google Analytics where the views are coming from and how long they stay on page. If they're only staying a few seconds from sites such as Stumbleupon, or if they're lower paying countries such as India, that may be the reason.

2. Solaras profile image91
      Solarasposted 7 months ago in reply to this

My other account - views are triple, earnings are up 10%, sad.

3. chef-de-jour profile image89
      chef-de-jourposted 7 months ago in reply to this

There are numerous factors involved as other people have pointed out -  I checked online earlier and it seems January and February are traditionally poor months for CPM so expect increases to happen gradually over the next few weeks? I hope!

4. Blake Flannery profile image91
      Blake Flanneryposted 6 months ago in reply to this

Be careful of listening to people trying to guess why earnings or traffic are down. They sometimes try to normalize negative experiences. You simply asked if anyone else was experiencing the same CPM drop with increased views. It was a yes or no question. The important thing to find out is if there's a trend happening across several people's accounts, not be told that there's got to be a good non-hubpages related answer for the drop. Sometimes it is hubpages problems that cause drops in traffic/CPM. The reason I found your post was because I had the same experience and came looking to see if it's a trend across hubpages, because I'm not seeing this trend on other properties I own in the same niche and the same time period with similar traffic quality.

2. lobobrandon profile image83
    lobobrandonposted 7 months ago

What Susannah said + the niche.

Is the niche you're seeing improved traffic in a high paying niche? Does the niche in question have a CPM higher than your average to result in your overall CPM going up with increased views or is the value lower than your average that is making it go down? Most likely the second option.

Source and country are big players but it's a mixture of all these factors. Most people notice a decline in CPM with increased traffic, as the sudden increase is usually social media traffic (in most cases).

3. melbel profile image92
    melbelposted 6 months ago

I'm seeing that I'm earning more with the hub ad program shut off and just having AdSense on there. If you choose to try this out, let me know if you see an increase too. @MelanieShebel on Twitter (HP doesn't notify me of responses even though I "follow" forum threads.)

working