Feedback

Jump to Last Post 1-2 of 2 discussions (6 posts)
  1. ShyeAnne profile image86
    ShyeAnneposted 7 years ago

Hi there, I got a message from Hubpages saying that with a few tweaks, I could have this hub published on Exemplore.  Would you all please critique this hub for me and suggest edits and changes? Thanks so much.

http://hubpages.com/religion-philosophy … d-Readings

1. theraggededge profile image98
      theraggededgeposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Shouts... I will... I will! Tarot is one of my favourite things in all the world.

Okay...

Get rid of that Ace of Wands sub-head and drop the image further down the page under your introduction. No need to title the images, especially if there is a caption underneath.

Make sure your introduction is written to the title of the piece. There's no need for the history part unless you add it as a sidebar capsule. An intro should tell the reader what the article is about, why you wrote and why the reader should keep reading. It's your chance to grab those readers searching for information on the Motherpeace deck.

I like your 'popular layout' image (has it got a name?), but is it possible to crop the large unused areas of the cloth, top and bottom? It would make the cards look closer.

Check the text carefully - you mention the '11 card layout below', but the image is above.

The title is based around the Motherpeace deck, so make sure you focus on that deck. Stay niche, don't go too general - there are many tarot websites out there all offering the same information.

You have listed the spread positions at the bottom of the article but they should really be close to the image, otherwise readers have to scroll up and down the page... and they won't do that for long smile

How about offering an interpretation after each card?... So  list the position, the card that is in that position in the image, then add your interpretation. Then you could add a conclusion or summary of the reading. You could also mention that these cards were drawn in response to a question (state the question). You have to make it as clear as possible for your readers.

Good luck, hope you get this to Exemplore.

ShyeAnneposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Hi raggededge, would you read my hub now that I have implemented your suggestions and critique it for me again.  I am going to submit it to Exemplore but I want to see if it passes muster with you first.  Thank you so much, in advance, for your time.

1. theraggededge profile image98
          theraggededgeposted 7 years agoin reply to this

That is soooo much better!

I love that you included the 'tilt'. I haven't got this deck but I do read with Songs for the Journey Home, you reminded me to take note of the card's orientation.

You've worked really hard and it shows.

Small details I picked up:

There's a tiny typo - comma placement in 'Light Hearted Insights'. Remove the the third instance of 'laid' in the same paragraph.

Where you are referring to numbers under 10, use the full written form - Four Major Arcana cards, six feminine cards, the fourth card, etc. 10 and over can be written in their numeric form. Personally I always refer to the cards in full - Ten of Wands, Nine of Cups because I think it looks better.

Make sure you are consistent. You say 11th position in one place and #7 position in another. Use the same format all the way through.

"Below I have included a brief explanations of the cards and there significance as laid a little above on the right."

Should be: "Below, I have included a brief explanations of the cards and their significance." Note 'their'. The last part isn't necessary.

Leave it 24 hours, then read the hub all the way through out loud. You'll pick up things such as misplaced commas more easily - and there are some. You can read it over and over and miss things all the time, but reading out loud helps to pick them up. It works even better if you can print out the text beforehand. The radically different format jolts the brain or something smile

Just to clean up any other grammatical errors, you could paste the text into Grammarly and/or Hemingway. They are free apps on the web.

Once it's all cleaned up, polished and gleaming submit it to Exemplore.

Good luck!

ShyeAnneposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Thank you again raggededge, you are really helping me a lot with the edits.  It is amazing how many errors get past me.  I need to learn to slow down and polish before I hit publish.  This is a valuable lesson for me.

2. ShyeAnne profile image86
    ShyeAnneposted 7 years ago

Thank you very much for all of your suggestions.  I will implement them all. I appreciate you taking the time to read my hub and remark on it.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)