jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (18 posts)

I'm wondering how I can improve search engine results for my article

1. profile image83
    Edward Floresposted 3 months ago

Hi!
    So I wrote this hub: Best Fidget Spinner Under $10, and tried to SEO it as much as I knew how to. But it's only on the third page of Google. What can I do to improve it's rank?

Thanks in advance!

1. theraggededge profile image96
      theraggededgeposted 3 months ago in reply to this

Be patient?

Your keyword should be 'best Fidget Spinners'. Try and work it in at least twice, but don't overdo it. It should appear in the first paragraph.

1. profile image83
        Edward Floresposted 3 months ago in reply to this

Thank you, I'll try that!

2. promisem profile image95
      promisemposted 3 months ago in reply to this

Can you distribute it to social media accounts? Embed a YouTube video to increase engagement? Research and use keyword synonyms in headlines and body text to attract more traffic via different phrases?

You might get only Page 3 on your main keyword phrase, but you might get Page 1 on other related phrases.

1. profile image83

All good ideas, I appreciate that!
        Since I'm very new to SEO, could you take a moment and give me a couple suggestions on keyword synonyms, if you have the time?

1. promisem profile image95
          promisemposted 3 months ago in reply to this

The most thorough way is Google's Keyword Planner. Do a search on Google to find the tool. Enter your main keyword phrase, such as best fidget spinner, to get the results. You can modify the results using the URL address of your article or choose an optionto include only words in your phrase.

The other way is just common sense, such as phrases you can think on your own like cheap fidget spinner. Or try Google search autocomplete or even the words you see in the titles of Google search results for "fidget spinner":

https://www.google.com/search?q=fidget+ … p;ie=UTF-8

2. NateB11 profile image93
          NateB11posted 3 months ago in reply to this

Check out Wrylilt's Hub on using Google Auto Suggest; it's the easiest way to find keyphrases.

1. NateB11 profile image93

Oh, sorry, just realized that Scott already suggested using Google Auto Suggest.

2. FatFreddysCat profile image91
    FatFreddysCatposted 3 months ago

Fidget Spinners are the hot thing right now. Everybody and their dog is writing stuff about them.

1. profile image83

Yeah, I realize that. That's why I'd like my hub to be competitive on the search ranking.

3. Jesse Drzal profile image87
    Jesse Drzalposted 3 months ago

Not very ''evergreen'' so to speak.

1. profile image83

Could you elaborate? All the boxes in the top right are checked, so it should be evergreen, or am I missing something?

1. theraggededge profile image96
        theraggededgeposted 3 months ago in reply to this

Evergreen means that the topic will still be relevant in, say, three years. Those spinners will probably have had their day in six months.

1. profile image83

I see, thanks!
          Yeah, that's why I'd like to increase my search traffic before that happens.

4. NateB11 profile image93
    NateB11posted 3 months ago

My experience is that it can take at least 3 months for an article to get a decent spot in the SERPs, more or less.

1. profile image83

Ah, I see. I guess I've just been very lucky with my previous two hubs that got in top 5 after just a couple of days. I'll play the waiting game now then!

1. NateB11 profile image93

I'm no expert on SEO, so maybe you know what you're doing if you had articles in that position so quickly. I think I've done that before too, but not most of the time.

5. Marisa Wright profile image93
    Marisa Wrightposted 3 months ago

You can play with the Keyword Planner all you like, but it can give misleading results unless you know exactly what you're doing.  You  have to remember that it is NOT designed to help writers.  It's designed to help advertisers.  Any time you try to use a tool for something it's not designed for, it's going to be imperfect.  I'd stick with Google auto complete.

However, the main reason your other Hubs made it onto the front page is because they were moved to Levelskip.  Your fidget spinner article wasn't judged good enough to move, so it's stuck on the main HubPages site which doesn't rank well on Google.   Rather than worrying about SEO, I'd be trying to improve the Hub so you can apply to have it moved to one of the niche sites.

working