Does Removing Hubs Lower Author Score

Jump to Last Post 1-15 of 15 discussions (48 posts)
  1. Barbara Kay profile image73
    Barbara Kayposted 10 years ago

My author score is now 88. I've been active on the forums, hopping hubs, and answering questions. I haven't had this low of score since when I first started. Does removing poorly performing hubs cause author scores to go down or what is the problem?

1. wowtgp profile image61
      wowtgpposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I think it's quite the opposite. I don't know why your score has lowered.

2. Simone Smith profile image85
      Simone Smithposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I'm sorry about that unpleasant drop, Barbara Kay.

Honestly, HubScore and Hubber Score can be so complicated, it really isn't worth trying to pinpoint an exact cause (except in rare causes where it is caused by something that one should avoid, such as indiscriminately following a lot of people).

The best advice i can give is to ignore your Hubber Score to the best of your ability. It will correct on its own.

Barbara Kayposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Thanks Simone.

1. Jean Bakula profile image92
          Jean Bakulaposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Barbara Kay,
          I write in a lot of places, and I notice if I don't write on HP for about 2 weeks or so, my hubber score drops too. So then I usually write a hub or two, do some hub hopping, and maybe participate in a forum a bit, though many of the forums are so nasty, pick a non controversial one. Also, I don't think the hubber score gets changed much, mine stays the same for weeks at a time. The administration says it's a meaningless number, but it seems to cause us to judge ourselves, so it's not quite so meaningless then. It would be good if it was kept between HP and the writer, not plastered up against your picture or avatar.

1. profile image0
            Jennifer Sucheyposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I'm sure they plaster the score up on our picture to keep us motivated to write, to participate, to do everything you can to ultimately drive up profits in the long run.

3. Marisa Wright profile image86
      Marisa Wrightposted 10 years agoin reply to this

First, ask yourself why you're worried.  Remember your score neither helps nor hinders your ability to make money.  So please, do stop thinking about it!

A large part of your Hubber score is how active you are on the site, but it's also an average of all your Hub scores.  So if you have some very low scoring Hubs, you could consider deleting them and perhaps moving them elsewhere - or looking at how you could raise their score. However, like I said, Hubber score is completely irrelevant to everything so I hope you'll be able to ignore it!

Marisa, Thanks for your comment and since then it has gone up.

2. tirelesstraveler profile image61
    tirelesstravelerposted 10 years ago

Have you been hacked?  I was last week and my score dropped like a rock.  Copy a couple of sentences from your best hub into a Google search.  If they show up on another site submit a complaint to Google.  Go into FAQ and search for how to do it.  I think it is called a DMAC complaint, but don't remember exactly.

I'll check that out. Thanks.

2. WryLilt profile image89
      WryLiltposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I think you mean "Has your work been duplicated"? Hacking involves someone stealing your password to gain access to your account.

The complaint is called a DMCA - Digital Millennium Copyright Act.

3. vocalcoach profile image94
    vocalcoachposted 10 years ago

I've had this happen to me so many times.  I could never find a reason for my score dropping dramatically.  I now don't get concerned about it because it drove me nuts.

As far as deleting hubs, I've only deleted 2 in 3 years.  And my score increased so I'm thinking deleting isn't the reason.

I wish I could help you with the right answer but I haven't found the reason.  I'll be following your question in hopes that you get an answer - and I will too:)

4. ossmedia profile image58
    ossmediaposted 10 years ago

Deleting hub doesn't effect the hubscore. Hubscore depends upon how you participate in hubpages. Each and every past of hubpages is essential to increase hub score like Q&A, hubs and forums etc

I am wondering if it is figured differently now, because I am still doing all of those things and it keeps going down.

1. missolive profile image61
        missoliveposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Hi Barbara Kay, I am experiencing the same thing. I went from 93 clear down to an 82', this happened one week ago and has barely budged about 2 points. I had not seen this low of a hubberscore score for over a year. Simone has always told the community not to worry....but ouch. I'll follow along on the forum and see if there is anything new. I hope they rise up soon. smile

FYI, I did remove two hubs and un-followed 5 people about 3 weeks ago.

1. profile image0
          Ghaelachposted 10 years agoin reply to this

@Missolive
          Mine did the same. Dropped like a stone to 86 for a week right after I'd published two (2) new hubs. Went up to 91 at the end of a week and is now back down to 89. A lot of people say don't worry about it, but I say, if we aren't to worry about it, why is it there??

Ghaelach, I kind of wish they'd just do away with it - at least the public visibility. The Hubber Score is a great source of anxiety for many hubbers. Plus, I know some hubbers that have said they actually un-follow hubbers with scores in the 80's.... reasoning varies and is often based on bad theory. I know several hubbers with scores in the high 90's and even a 100 with lower traffic and earnings than those in the low 90's and even 80's. With that said, I agree with your comment and ask myself the same thing, "A lot of people say don't worry about it, but I say, if we aren't to worry about it, why is it there??"

1. Writer Fox profile image31
              Writer Foxposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I agree with you on this.  People from outside the HP community look at that score, slapped right across your face, as an indication of the quality of your writing.  I don't think it should be visible to people who are not logged in to HP.  Where's the petition to sign?

1. Marcy Goodfleisch profile image83
                Marcy Goodfleischposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I vote we start one.  A petition, I mean.

2. Marcy Goodfleisch profile image83
                Marcy Goodfleischposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I just started a thread to petition for the scores to be removed.

I'll go look for it.

2. Barbara Kay profile image73

Miss Olive, Your hubs are so good. I just don't understand what is going on.

2. ossmedia profile image58
        ossmediaposted 10 years agoin reply to this

If you are doing all activities on daily basis then have patience, your hub score will definetly get increased in days. Just remember never post any duplicate content in it and never post content on any other site if already published on hubpages. Uniqueness of hubpages should be maintained.

3. tamron profile image67
        tamronposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Sometimes if you follow to many hubbers to soon or in one day the system thinks your a spammer or gaming the system.

Otherwise don't worry about your hub score it will bounce back up.

If your hub score on your profile gets below 70 or 75 I would be concerned

5. chopsooy profile image60
    chopsooyposted 10 years ago

I've been wondering what the number is on my profile pic...So it is purely about interaction? Anything to do with articles or other things? Sorry for the newbie asks.

chopsooy, this hub in the learning center might help you with your question http://hubpages.com/learningcenter/hubs … bber-score

Again, don't place too much emphasis on it as it can drive you a bit crazy. As always, focus on quality and enjoy the community. smile

1. chopsooy profile image60
        chopsooyposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for that...I'll check it out now!

6. SimeyC profile image88
    SimeyCposted 10 years ago

Recently HP began putting all older hubs through the QAP system. I'm not saying that this is happening to you - but it may be possible that some of your very old hubs may not be up to your current standard and therefore are pulling your Hubscore down. At the moment I am reviewing all my older hubs and trying to make tem stellar - or deleting where appropriate - I'm actually amazed how bad some of my older hubs are!!!

I kind of think it is like pruning - if you prune a bush it'll look bare for a couple of week - but eventually it will look ten times better....

I've actually put creation of new hubs on hold at the moment - I feel I have enough average hubs that could do very well with a little love and tenderness....

Great point SimeyC, I love the pruning analogy! I've been tweaking quite a bit and slowly building 'spin-off' hubs from my current content, I like the idea of supporting one's own content with related hubs. I hope to get a series of those officially published within the next couple of weeks, after I'm done with my crazy, sanity zapping school year.
      Keep up the Hub TLC smile

2. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image86
      TIMETRAVELER2posted 10 years agoin reply to this

Simey:  If you're still here...you are doing exactly what I have been doing.  Deleting a hub depends on the quality of that hub.  If you delete a bad one, it would definitely help your score.  If you delete a good one, it probably won't make much of a difference.

7. gags3480 profile image60
    gags3480posted 10 years ago

I have read almost 50 + reasons till date which have caused fall in hubber score of fellow hubbers. But I have started ignoring this score & advice same to you. You are doing an exellent job over here & this score cannot judge you. So, just carry on the good work.

Thanks gags3480 for the encouragement.

8. WryLilt profile image89
    WryLiltposted 10 years ago

Many people put the cart before the horse. Traffic and quality influences score. Score does not influence traffic or earnings.

The only reason you would need a high score is if you want to link out to other sites and have dofollow links - to do this your score must be over 75. Other than that, watching the scores is going to waste time you could spend watching earnings. wink

WryLit, I've had a score near 100 most of my time here. This low score just embarrasses me a bit. I guess I should just forget it.

9. lovebuglena profile image85
    lovebuglenaposted 10 years ago

88 is really not a bad or low hubber score. You shouldn't let it get to you or dwell on it too much. It will probably get back up before you know it. I would not delete any hubs because you will probably regret it later.

lovebuglena, Thanks for your advice. A few of my hubs are getting very little traffic and they go along with some of my websites. I'd like to move them there.

10. Marcy Goodfleisch profile image83
    Marcy Goodfleischposted 10 years ago

The number of really good, solid writers here whose scores are plummeting is alarming.  I agree that the Hubber score should either be done away with or only visible to the writer and HP. Also, the Cloak of Mystery should be removed so people know why their score is a certain number and what they can do to increase it. And NONE of the score should be based on traffic.  Quality is fine as a tool for rating, but it's just not right for excellent writers to be toyed with like this.

Also, it is contradictory for HP to promote the site as a place to earn 'passive' income, and then penalize Hubber scores when someone is not publishing currently or is not hugely active on the forum.  Or something.  Especially when we have no idea what the 'something' is.

1. profile image0
      summerberrieposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I agree Marcy. If the score is so complicated that no one understands it and is told to ignore it then why is it visible?

11. webrevolve profile image69
    webrevolveposted 10 years ago

It's a link thing. If it falls below 70 (I think), any articles with links to websites are downgraded to a 'nofollow' link indicator to Google.

1. Marisa Wright profile image86
      Marisa Wrightposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Yes, but that's irrelevant unless you're using those links to promote another website or blog.

Hi Marisa,
        All of my hubs are currently featured, but sometimes if I stay away for a few weeks, my score goes down to a 90. Maybe it's psychological, but when I was in school, you had to maintain over a 93 to have an "A." So when my score drops down to a 90, it may have no meaning at all, but I feel as if I failed. I was a good student, the type who felt like getting a "B" was a failure. I know I do it to myself, though my parents were critical, come to think of it. If the number doesn't matter, and upsets so many people, what's the point?

2. webrevolve profile image69
        webrevolveposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Not irrelevant at all Marisa. Why would you want to instruct Google to stop following links to other hubs or blogs/websites - unless you have something to hide from people who are genuinely searching for an informative article in Google?

12. profile image0
    delleaposted 10 years ago

I don't think it makes any sense to remove non-productive hubs. If you group generally-related hubs together in Groups, and you write a new hub in a given Group you created, the less-productive hubs will likely generate some residual traffic from the new hub you just published. At least this seems to work well for me.

i just have one that isn't active, but I have several that just aren't doing well here. I have websites that they would fit well on.

It wouldn't hurt to delete hubs from here if they are low scoring. I have taken down hubs that get few views and it has not hurt me. I understand it is hard to take down your work, you put your heart into it, and it feels bad. Personal blogs don't get the attention group sites like this do, but you could try other sites. Infobarrel is nice, and many people like Wizzley. I have had a nice reception there, but since I write about metaphysical things the interest just isn't there, though it is a kind and polite crowd. Much of the crowd is from HP! Everyone says they do better with Amazon there, and the forums are even nice, Chef Keem is a great guy. Infobarrel has changed it's payment structure, but again, it is hard to decide if you want to build up a whole load of content again. Don't worry about deleting a few hubs that aren't performing, they could be popular with another audience. Read a bit on other sites, or as you suggest, put them on your own sites. I hope it all works out for you.

13. misslong123 profile image84
    misslong123posted 10 years ago

I don't know much, but I have read that if you have a low-scoring Hubpage that has never done well, and you delete it, your profile Hubscore can actually go up quite a bit. I would be wary before deleting one though since you worked so hard. Try to make it a stellar hub, flagship hub, or an evergreen hub. Improve it and watch it grow. If you do delete it, save the words first onto Word, so that you can use it later if you want. Good luck!

14. Astra Nomik profile image62
    Astra Nomikposted 10 years ago

Interesting topic. When our hub ratings are doing well and traffic is up, we all love seeing the number going up. But when traffic bombs on the various hubs, then we all act like a wolf pack and complain about that little number up there.

There does seem to be some negativity about the new updates that Google are making. And there is a lot more reporting of less traffic all round. But it should not diminish our love for writing. Don't let it affect your inspiration to write or your muse.

15. Barbara Kay profile image73
    Barbara Kayposted 10 years ago

Thank you everyone for your advice and inspiration.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)