jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (13 posts)

Free Feedback

1. Marie Flint profile image91
    Marie Flintposted 3 months ago

I am offering editing suggestions and hub improvement ideas gratis to celebrate this Fourth of July. This will especially benefit new writers here on Hub Pages who have difficulty getting featured. My offer is good July 4, 2017 through August 4, 2017.

If you are having trouble with an article and want a "second eye," feel free to contact me through my Fan Mail email. I visit Hub Pages almost daily. Requests will be handled on a first-come, first-serve basis.

Blessings and Happy Independence Day in these United States of America!

Marie Flintposted 3 months agoin reply to this

To All Concerned:

My Fan Mail is now working. I had to uncheck the No Notifications on Vacation selection under Profile and Notifications Settings. As they say in text lingo, "LOL!"

Blessings!

2. Pianotek profile image78
    Pianotekposted 3 months ago

Hello Marie,
    Thank you for your offer of help! I tried to post in your fan mail but the submit button would not work.
    Here is what I tried to post.
    I am supposed to proofread this hub so that it can get into FeltMagnet.  I worked it over in Grammarly, but it must not have caught everything.  Could you check and see what else is needed.
    Thanks,
    Pianotek
    Instead of the link I will just tell you the name of the hub since we are not supposed to post links here.
    Paul Detlefsen Prints

1. Marisa Wright profile image94
      Marisa Wrightposted 3 months agoin reply to this

Pianotek, just to reiterate - any time you need feedback on a Hub, you can post a new thread in this section of the forum:

http://hubpages.com/forum/category/2885

That's the only section of the forums where you ARE allowed to post a link to a specific Hub and ask people to help you with it. 

It's great that this Hub is being accepted for the niche site, but if you want to make money from it, I think it needs a lot of improvement.  Here are my suggestions:

Your summary is what appears under the title in Google search results, so it's important. It's what will entice the reader to click on your title and read the Hub.  Make sure you use it to the max.

ALWAYS tell the reader what the Hub is about in the very first paragraph.  You don't do that here - instead, you talk about the print at the top of the page, and it's not clear what the rest of the Hub will be about.

Frankly, I think part of your problem is that you don't quite know what the Hub is about yourself.  The first bit talks about the print at the top, then you tell us a bit about the artist, then you tell us how to tell a print from a painting (which has nothing to do with Detlefsen at all). 

The first thing you should do when writing a Hub is ask yourself, "who is interested in this subject and why?"  I tried a Google search and most people seem to be wondering about the value of Detlefsen originals, not prints.   So I would switch this Hub around and call it "Paul Detlefsen Original Paintings".   

Then, your very first paragraph would be something like, "Paul Detlefsen was a prolific and much-loved artist whose work was widely reproduced. His original art works can still be found, but it takes a sharp eye to distinguish an original from a print."

Then I would have sections, the first one being "How Do I Identify a Paul Detlefsen work?" (this section would cover what his typical subject and style were, whether his work was signed, and here you'd have the Youtube video showing a variety of his typical prints as examples).   

The second section would be "How do I tell an Original from a Print" (which you've already got) and the third section, "What is My Paul Detlefson Painting Worth?" .  The very last section would be "About the Painter" with a detailed biography if you can manage it.  It would be worth checking out this site on Friday, it may have some good information:  http://www.askart.com/artist_bio/Paul_D … efsen.aspx

It may sound strange to put the painter's biography last - but it comes back to the idea of always asking who your reader is likely to be, and what they're looking for.  In this case, most people will find this Hub because they have a question about a Paul Detlefsen painting.  That means they already have an idea who he is, so they're probably not that interested to know about him as a person (they can get that from Wikipedia).  You should include the information to please Google, but make sure you're giving your reader what they want first.

I'm telling you this not just for this Hub, but so you can use the same principles for your other Hubs.  My process is - get the idea, write a first draft, then sit down and think:

How are readers likely to find this Hub?  What would they have to type into Google? (use that in my title).     What do they most want to know? (make that the focus of the Hub and make it clear in my first paragraph).  What background information and references can I find to add depth to the Hub?

Excellent suggestions, Marissa!

3. pen promulgates profile image80
    pen promulgatesposted 3 months ago

What a nice lady! That's indeed very helpful of you!

This effort also helps me to keep my skills up and stimulates my writing incentive, Pen! Besides, with the Hub Hopper gone, my feedback performs a similar, but better function for the struggling writer.

4. Workaholics profile image59
    Workaholicsposted 3 months ago

Hello Marie, Thank you for posting this message, I am really interested in finding out how to improve my hubs and to be featured. I really need the help.

5. pen promulgates profile image80
    pen promulgatesposted 3 months ago

@ Workaholics. Marie won't be able to help you as your profile doesn't have any article for proofreading. As you are new, there is much to learn. Whenever you get emails from the QAP, they attach a link that can be posted in the forum to take advice and suggestions from the other Hubbers. Post that link. Then only we can see your hub and make suggestions. Good luck!

6. Marie Flint profile image91
    Marie Flintposted 3 months ago

You either need to publish the article as is so I can read it or send it as an attached file to my email. I will give you my email address when you post a Fan Mail.

7. Jodah profile image87
    Jodahposted 3 months ago

Good for you, Marie.

Thanks, Jodah. I think it beats the retired Hub Hopper and is a nice way to celebrate the spirit of our country's independence.

8. Pianotek profile image78
    Pianotekposted 3 months ago

Thank you Marisa, I will make a copy of all you said and look into it.  I could even do another hub with your suggestions. smile

working