Fan Mail - some help please

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (37 posts)
  1. makingamark profile image70
    makingamarkposted 9 years ago

I'm reading an awful lot about Hubpages at the moment and while a lot of it is going in, not everything is and I'm certainly not very good at being able to reference back to where I read it. Frankly it's all very new!

One thing which concerns me is fan mail. I've got a vague recollection of reading something that said Hubbers shouldn't leave comments to the effect of "Hi - come and visit me" - but I can't for the life of me remember where.

When I used to get a comment on my lenses at Squidoo saying "Nice lens come and visit my lenses" or equivalent I always used to delete it since the purpose of the comment was to draw attention to their lenses rather than to say nice words about mine.

Do you recommend I do the same thing at HubPages? I received my first one today, soon after posting in the Forum for the first time.  I've also heard of other Squidoo people who have received similar comments.

What's the best thing to do? Plus where on earth did I get the idea that this type of comment was discouraged?

1. Nell Rose profile image89
      Nell Roseposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Hiya, yes its the same everywhere I think, saying come back to my hub is just spamming. Don't worry about it you will soon get used to it. Its just the same as Squidoo, just accept the comments that are relative to your articles on here just like there, and welcome to hubpages!

makingamarkposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Many thanks for filling me in Nell - and for the welcome. Good to know my instincts are still on the ball. smile

I'd instantly hit the delete key - and then wondered whether I was being very mean - and what on earth was the recommended practice.

2. Hamshi profile image67
      Hamshiposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I was used to deleting such comments on Squidoo so I did the same here too. It's just not a good online etiquette to leave comments, anywhere on the internet, with the only intention to receive them back.

3. relache profile image72
      relacheposted 9 years agoin reply to this

That's considered tacky anywhere on this site baring the thread for getting feedback on your Hubs.

1. Kiss andTales profile image60
        Kiss andTalesposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Feed back on hubs are a great way to get other views besides your own ,it is like looking in your mirror every morning ,and you see from your own eyes you look great, but you did not see the thread hanging from your hem,or shirt, or the toilet paper you step on leaving a public bathroom. The point is people can see from the outer person some times better then you can see within. That is why you have judges, because they are to judge with out being bias . Here on hub-pages many do not really personally know each other accept here in writing ,some times it is a hard pill to swallow that what we think is right ,and some one else says it's not . That can be true or it can be false . But you have an answer with no strings attached. I have written over 50 hubs, I enjoyed the journey writing ,most are not quality. But I did get good feed back and I did get some great supporters to keep writing until I do reach quality. I have a lot to be happy for ,and it is a great thing to be heard in writing here on HubPages.

1. snakeslane profile image81
          snakeslaneposted 9 years agoin reply to this

+1

2. makingamark profile image70

I wasn't commenting on feedback per se - that's always good to get. I've lots of respect for those who provide genuine feedback and then exit.

It was the use of feedback as a "look at me" / way in to do the verbal equivalent of a "link drop" which I object to.

It's futile and spurious and I think much less of site owners (lensmasters or hubbers) who follow this practice.

4. Phyllis Doyle profile image93
      Phyllis Doyleposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I feel the same about "like mine and I will like yours" -- it makes me think of Bubblews where some members do not even read articles, they just want more followers, so they "like" and say "now like mine". So shabby !  When I send fan mail it is because I really enjoy that person's hubs, or I am welcoming a new member then read a hub of theirs.

2. The Examiner-1 profile image61
    The Examiner-1posted 9 years ago

Are you saying that you are only getting fan mail? If they are following you also, go to their site (You will see there name is in 'blue' and when you click on this it will take you there.) and see whether they have any Hubs (article) yet. If not, then do not reply. Otherwise you may research their work and decide whether or not you wish to reply and/or follow them.

That was certainly my standard practice on Squidoo - but only if the comment itself looked reasonable.

I operate two rules for deletion of comments (on my blogs and lenses) in this order
      - ask me to look at your sites and I delete automatically - no matter how good the comment
      - make a reasonable comment but have no site of your own - and I tend to park and review again in a month's time. I don't publish the comments of people who have made no contribution

Which explains why I won't be making comments on hubs until my lenses get transferred! smile

3. makingamark profile image70
    makingamarkposted 9 years ago

My goodness - "a complete pratt" with a rather pretentious username has just left this comment on my profile
    "Great hubs and very informative!!"
    Just one problem - my lenses have NOT yet transferred from Squidoo - and I have no hubs!

I do know what to do with comments like these! wink

1. Writer Fox profile image31
      Writer Foxposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Do you mean that the comment was left on your fan mail?  Just ignore it.  Nobody but you will ever read your fan mail because nobody cares about someone else's fan mail.  If you delete it, you'll just make a new follower feel insulted.  Followers are good to have!

Huh? Did you not read the comment left and my comment? 

I completely disagree with your perspective - "fake followers" are a waste of time just like "fake anything" is a waste of time.

1. Hamshi profile image67

+1

2. Marisa Wright profile image87
        Marisa Wrightposted 9 years agoin reply to this

That particular follower is blatantly not genuine, so why would he be good to have?

2. Phyllis Doyle profile image93
      Phyllis Doyleposted 9 years agoin reply to this

lol   send them WF's stickman doodle.  lol   He stole it, but it fits the issue.

(I added the words.)

3. The Examiner-1 profile image61
      The Examiner-1posted 9 years agoin reply to this

Did you receive it on your fan mail or your email?

1. Jean Bakula profile image91
        Jean Bakulaposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Welcome makingamark,
        If people send Fan Mail, you can delete it, even farther down the road if you notice the person doesn't read your hubs anymore. I trim mine down every now and then. You will be able to distinguish the "true fans" because they will leave comments that prove they actually read the piece.

Best Wishes here at HP. There are a lot of rules, and they change often too. We all have trouble keeping up smile.

4. Mark Ewbie profile image82
    Mark Ewbieposted 9 years ago

The fakes are an insult.  They assume you are stupid enough to appreciate "Great hub" and will look at their stuff, or that any links will do them some good.

It is no loss to delete them.

Hi Mark,

She was talking about fan mail, not comments on Hubs.  Links on fan mail are NoFollow. And, she may not realize that on HP you can't stop people from following you, even if they are spammers.

A lot of the Squidoo people are following each other, it seems, just to keep in touch until their articles are transferred. 

I think some of them who have followed 100 people are going to be in for a big surprise when they get thousands of emails about new Hubs published in September when the transfers happen!

1. Mark Ewbie profile image82
        Mark Ewbieposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Oh OK.  I don't approve fan mail any more either.

Yes, but you're joking.  She isn't.

http://s2.hubimg.com/u/9215099_f248.jpg

Cool pic!

I stole it.

Even better!

2. Hamshi profile image67

"I think some of them who have followed 100 people are going to be in for a big surprise when they get thousands of emails about new Hubs published in September when the transfers happen!"

They can go to notifications settings for the hubbers they follow and unsubscribe from receiving email notifications every time a new hub is published.

5. profile image0
    calculus-geometryposted 9 years ago

This may not be makingamark's cup of tea, but I offer it for any new users reading this thread who want to know their options for managing fan mail. 

If you go to edit your profile, down at the bottom there are options for displaying or not displaying accolades and fanmail.  If you don't care to put these on display, you can check either "only me" or "no one."

http://s2.hubimg.com/u/9214947_f248.jpg

(edit: even if you check "no one" you can actually still see it, so it's the same as "only me.")

Thank you calculus geometry - at last a useful comment on something that is useful for me to know! wink smile

For the record - for those who don't "get it" - I was slightly amused that HB appears to suffer the same problems as Squidoo i.e. the person who comments without looking or reading.

Thanks also Marisa, Jean, Mark, Phyllis and Hamshi for your pertinent comments

Writer Fox (Aunt Mollie?)  - I'm afraid I don't care for any stolen artwork on my sites or my threads. Please remove it immediately.

6. word55 profile image72
    word55posted 9 years ago

You see the violation message after a message is sent from fan mail. Try sending me a message and you'll see it. Be sure and send a nice respectable message now.

What's the violation message and why does it arise?

(I'm afraid I'm still at the stage where HB terminology and practices need to be explained to me. "In jokes" on HB also pass me by at the moment)

1. Hamshi profile image67

I think he's talking about the automated message you see right after sending someone an email on HP.

It's like a little warning message saying you shouldn't spam, harass or send the same message to more than one person.

Thanks Hamshi - sounds like a very sensible idea.

7. pateluday profile image51
    pateludayposted 9 years ago

Sometimes while appreciating a hub one can be terse. I would love to be invited to visit good informative hubs.

I'm afraid in my experience the people who invite you to visit their lenses/hubs are invariably people who have written little of substance - and who also don't appreciate the protocols of how to comment.

1. pateluday profile image51
        pateludayposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Yes people should follow protocols.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)