jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (8 posts)

Have you grown as a writer on Hubpages?

1. Chriswillman90 profile image93
    Chriswillman90posted 6 weeks ago

For those who've been here at least 6 months, has your writing improved and by how much.

If you compare your first articles to the ones now, do you see a huge difference in writing style, use of titles/subtitles, and other choices?

2. pen promulgates profile image78
    pen promulgatesposted 6 weeks ago

My writing has improved to an extent that, after the boot camp (two write-ups from the boot camp too), all my articles have featured on the first submission itself (some within two hours after submitting). I take that as meeting HP's standards.

And yes, I see a huge difference in my writing style. I get comments on articles too. I have followed advice by experienced Hubbers. They are awesome. I am thankful to them.

I learned the importance of title and how HP's articles are different from blog posts. I also learned something about SEO.

In two months, I am even able to help new Hubbers to pass the QAP. I m getting followers too.

I have also learned the importance of vertical sites. I am working on finding a niche for myself. I guess that will take time as my niche are one of those saturated topics like dating, relationships, self improvement that already have plenty of write-ups available. My article(s) are attracting a little traffic as of now, but then again, they are only new and need time.

My first article was crap. Hehe. It was spun. Now, I do research and write magazine-style, media-rich informative articles.

3. Chriswillman90 profile image93
    Chriswillman90posted 6 weeks ago

Really nice analysis, I think you'll do very well as long as you keep at it.

The niche part will probably be the most challenging to attain because you have to find that sweet spot of an unsaturated topic you enjoy writing about that can build traffic.

Once you're able to do that then the rest of the ride will be a smooth one. Of course all of that will require time, patience, and dedication, I didn't receive my first payout until a year and a half in.

4. pen promulgates profile image78

Thanks. that's a lovely advice. I will certainly exercise patience as I am continually learning, so it's no loss here. Just a little curious, may I know why you created this forum?

1. Marisa Wright profile image95
      Marisa Wrightposted 6 weeks ago in reply to this

Personally, I don't think it's essential to choose one niche.  That's vital if you want to run your own blog - but the beauty of HubPages is that you can write for all the niche sites, if you want.   There's no advantage to having a large number of Hubs on one niche sites - they can be spread over all of them.

1. Chriswillman90 profile image93
        Chriswillman90posted 6 weeks ago in reply to this

That may be true but having a niche can help boost traffic to other articles if they're interconnected in some way.

But it is good that there are so many options available now because tbh I need to expand into other areas.

5. pen promulgates profile image78

@ Marisa, that hadn't crossed my mind. Thanks for spotting it.

6. Stella Kaye profile image86
    Stella Kayeposted 6 weeks ago

Yes, definitely but I think your writing should evolve as a competent writer anyway if you put enough effort into it. There are always new concepts to learn and new words to incorporate into your existing vocabulary. Grammar and word choice can always be improved upon too. The good thing about HubPages is that it encourages you to do all this even more with the forums and feedback etc. We are very lucky nowadays with the internet to help us when not so many years ago you'd have to spend ages in the library doing research and attend local writing groups for encouragement. Now you can do all this at the click of a mouse.

working